Problems with payments

LadyG

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

Not the same thing as what’s being discussed. This isn’t an accidental payment. It’s monies paid by a client (presumably for work agreed, and for agreed amounts), that is now not going to take place.  Verbal contract they could argue quite easily.  they’d be within their rights to keep it, but they won’t. It’s just not worth the hassle. I doubt we’re talking about a great deal of money either. Equally, taking it at face value LadyG could argue they’ve not kept their side of the contract by not completing work within a reasonable time.  All pointless conjecture on our part of course. Only she knows what conversation has taken place with them and I very much doubt their version would match.  
😂

As I understand it (which is not a lot to go on!) the issue is not about sending money in error but retaining money (or indeed any asset) to which you are not entitled. This does not specify how the asset was originally accessed - it could be under a variety of circumstances. For instance, there have been benefit recipients who received more than they were entitled as a result of 'administrative' error which was then clawed back. Unlike some debt situations it does seem that offset was permitted in this case (ie using one payment to cover an unrelated debt).

But IANAL

On 28/03/2024 at 09:57, truckcab79 said:

Of course it would be a good thing,  if she’d listen. Unfortunately if you try to help, she doesn’t want it and the story just spirals into a load more nonsense.  Ref recent threads on her new sink and kitchen for a start. The work she pays for and posts on here is a very poor standard  but if it’s not all just fiction then I suspect her approach to the people she employs is the main issue and any tradesman who doesn’t complete the job has probably just had enough and walks. They shouldn’t keep her money but there’s so much work around currently that most can afford to pick and choose their clients. 

As mentioned she’s never happy it seems with anyone that she pays for work on her boat, it always seems to turn into a nightmare, but like a lot of things you only hear her side of the story.

I imagine from what she’s previously posted the guy/couple she’s on about here are floating around Bramwith/South Yorkshire in a pair of boats sided up together. If she has a gripe or is not happy and thinks she’s been ripped off, at least name them to warn other vulnerable/elderly boaters to be cautious with getting work done.

From what I seen of the photos of work she posted with her kitchen it was not good, but she appeared more than happy with it🤔🤔

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

From what I seen of the photos of work she posted with her kitchen it was not good, but she appeared more than happy with it🤔🤔

I think that she even described the work as high quality or some such, much the same with her boat, with batteries in odd places and a rudder stock that seems to have been bodged so it fell off. Still, if she is happy.

Posted (edited)
On 30/03/2024 at 19:33, Tony Brooks said:

I think that she even described the work as high quality or some such, much the same with her boat, with batteries in odd places and a rudder stock that seems to have been bodged so it fell off. Still, if she is happy.

Lol, well @Tony Brooks the work Ive had done, has all been good. Its the accounting,!

The bodged rudder was the job done by previous bodger, before i bought the hoat.

and I've had a new rudder for a a few years.

The problems with the recent work is due to communication problems.

Ie  the fitter did the work but his partner was not on the ball, so was unable to respond by email to my correspondence.

Hes going to finish the job but not charge me!,,,,,!,,,,,,,! That's real customer service!

All is forgiven :)

The batteries in odd places are down to the original fitter out, one has to live with certain peculiarities. 

The more I learn about this particular boat, the happier I am, its got everything I want, and I think it its a great boat,,,

I love it, and I'd not swap it for anyth8ng except a proper Dutch Barge.so I could pop over to Europe .

PS seems I owe the fitter money ,  weep, lol.

On 27/03/2024 at 13:47, haggis said:

I am a wee bit confused ! How did you manage to overpay ? I thought you said you had agreed a price and how had he some of your materials?

. I thought the work was being done on your boat. 

If I read it correctly you say you have communicated by email. Emails can and do often disappear into cyberspace. Would a phone call or face to face meeting not be better,? 

As it was a fairly big job, and required them to pay out, plus they don't know me, it was a gesture of goodwill.

There were several jobs.

Some of the materials were mine, some were his

And then there was the faulty Rangmaster sink from Tap Warehouse, don't ask me to elucidate,  please. 

We agreed that it would not be possible to have a quotation, but that his price was an estimate.

I've been in business, and I know customers ask for extras, not realising this means extra costs. BUT, he estimated for materials, and I thought he meant total cost,,,,,,!

No one died.

I'll sleep happy.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I dare not ask for photos of the new kitchen, maybe she’ll put some on so being a Newbie you’ll get some ideas of layout/colour schemes 👍👍 I hear you say “Yeh thanks for that”😂😂

Im sure. 😂.  I’m more intrigued by the use of Tap Warehouse for the sink,  a recommendation of mine in the kitchen thread.  If I recall she would never use them as they were ‘banned by her bank’ I believe. Seemed they were on a par with some sort of Nigerian scammers rather than a well established and much used retailer of taps. Short memory.  😂

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

. BUT, he estimated for materials, and I thought he meant total cost,,,,,,!

Hilarious. Given that most jobs the labour far outweighs the cost of materials.  Remind me to use that on my clients.  ‘Oh. When you said estimate you meant what is it going to cost you’.  Easy mistake to make.  😉

5 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

Im sure. 😂.  I’m more intrigued by the use of Tap Warehouse for the sink,  a recommendation of mine in the kitchen thread.  If I recall she would never use them as they were ‘banned by her bank’ I believe. Seemed they were on a par with some sort of Nigerian scammers rather than a well established and much used retailer of taps. Short memory.  😂

This sort of rubbish happens constantly if you engage with the lovely LadyG on here. I had it repeatedly when she first turned up trying to sell her flat in Scotland to fund a boat purchase. One learns not to bother getting involved, just as Tony mentioned he has.

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

This sort of rubbish happens constantly if you engage with the lovely LadyG on here. I had it repeatedly when she first turned up trying to sell her flat in Scotland to fund a boat purchase. One learns not to bother getting involved, just as Tony mentioned he has.

I love it.  Best thing on here. Genuinely. 👍

On 28/03/2024 at 10:04, Tracy D'arth said:

I tried to assist her some time back  with regards to her flat in Scotland. She was unpleasant to deal with and quite insulting so I am not surprised that anyone working for her decides to down tools and jump ship.

If someone told me a story about how they had a bad experience I would listen with interest and sympathise with them. If they told me subsequently that they'd had another similar experience with someone else I'd assume it was an unfortunate coincidence but it might start to raise some doubts in my mind. The third time they repeated another tale of woe I'd have to conclude that they were in fact part of the problem. You can only be a victim so many times. 

Or is that me being a misogynist? 🤣

Edited by blackrose

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well. I've managed to sort out the payment problems, confusion due to a missing invoice.

Had apology for delay in finishing the work, and lack of communications. 

I haven't read Tony's post, because the whole thing has been doing my head in.

Before i deal with any business, I tell them that they must use email for correspondence, but they seem to find this difficult to do, so i end up having to chase them up, this particular work started on 23rd Nov, and should finish this week, not that there has been more than about six visits onsite, and maybe four days offsite...... four invoices....

The Tap Warehouse did come through in the end, I won't go in to the saga of the sinks!.... another two invoices.......

I have one more invoice outstanding. 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

, this particular work started on 23rd Nov, and should finish this week, not that there has been more than about six days onsite, and maybe four days offside......l four invoices.... 

How far did they have to travel to do all that?

• Horror 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How far did they have to travel to do all that?

Oh I don't know, not far, really, but I'm not charged mileage, thank heavens, that would be quite difficult, to say the least , miles to and from the workshop (at least six trips), couriers, boats, vans, sinks, worktops, tables. the fitter has been very patient, maybe all jobs are like this, I've no idea.

I started the thread because I was getting very concerned that I was paying money in to a personal account, and not getting acknowledgement that the payments had been received, even though I asked for it.

No one has ever jumped ship or not been paid  on the dot, and often a pre payment, as in this case.

Now I don't know about other banks, but mine is very sensitive about business payments, it always asks when I set up a payment if this is a business payment,  and then issues a warning if i then pay moneys in to a personal account. I suspect this is something to do with HMRC tracking. 

I have no idea why they declined Tap Warehouse, I think in the end I had to phone the bank to get clearance. 

Edited by LadyG

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

maybe all jobs are like this, I've no idea.

Mine aren’t.  😂

52 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Now I don't know about other banks, but mine is very sensitive about business payments, it always asks when I set up a payment if this is a business payment,  and then issues a warning if i then pay moneys in to a personal account. I suspect this is something to do with HMRC tracking. 

Nothing to do with ‘HMRC tracking’ whatever you think that might be. It’s one of several anti -fraud measures designed to make sure that you know who you are paying and in return by asking you to confirm that you do, it covers the banks arse if you say you’re happy with it and it then turns out to be a scam.

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

I have no idea why they declined Tap Warehouse, I think in the end I had to phone the bank to get clearance. 

I have noticed that occasionally when I try to set up a new business payee, the bank says it cant find the company. But when I then set up the same payee as a personal payee, the bank gives me the name of the company I just searched for. Odd . Banks are very sensitive now about fraud and I don't blame them. 

11 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

Mine aren’t.  😂

Nothing to do with ‘HMRC tracking’ whatever you think that might be. It’s one of several anti -fraud measures designed to make sure that you know who you are paying and in return by asking you to confirm that you do, it covers the banks arse if you say you’re happy with it and it then turns out to be a scam.

Precisely,  some see Reds Under The Beds everywhere!  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Slim said:

You should work with my labourers.  Conspiracy theories all day long. 😂

Trouble is if you argue then you’re not seeing the truth and have been sucked in by The Man or the lizards who run the world or whoever it may be. They can’t lose an argument on that basis. 😂

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Just to drag this off to even more of a tangent some people still can’t help themselves.  A colleagues mother was called by Abbey National as they had ‘mistakenly transferred £36k’ and needed her to transfer it back. Supposedly checked her account and there it was (presumably on a fictitious page that they had provided though she was adamant that it was her own). Transferred the money. Abbey National did their due diligence and actually called her to check it was legit and instead of saying ‘hang on, it’s you telling me to do it’ she said ‘yea it’s fine’ and kissed goodbye to £36k  😱

On 29/03/2024 at 08:21, pearley said:

We had a dormant Nationwide account with around £100 in it. I received a statement which showed a deposit of £19 from someone called WPA that I'd never heard of. It took over 2 months to eventually refund the money. WPA are a health insurers.

When we ran a business it was not unusual to get extra in a delivery or be paid twice. It was always a hassle trying to get another company to admit they'd made a mistake.

Conversely we had deliveries where items were missing. Again, suppliers often doubted my word which really pissed me off.

Indeed, i once ordered popcorn, £60!

The driver delivered to the wrong address.

They maintained the goods had been delivered and signed for, yes, by someone in the wrong shop, so not me!

Needless to say the other shop kept the goods and did not contact me. So many dishonest people in this world.

I went to the shop and said i would like my goods, they denied knowledge. When i said id like to have my goods returned or £60, else call the police, i got my goods back.

Final solution.

Good job i asked for clarification, they've found that each of my invoices have had an extra charge put on them, so I've paid quite a bit more than i should have, anyway, we've agreed that i'll pay the outstandind balance, which is now about £30 and shake hands on the  final job, which is mostly labour. ;)

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Final solution.

Good job i asked for clarification, they've found that each of my invoices have had an extra charge put on them, so I've paid quite a bit more than i should have, anyway, we've agreed that i'll pay the outstandind balance, which is now about £30 and shake hands on the  final job, which is mostly labour. ;)

Popcorn 🍿🍿😂😂

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Final solution.

I know we all have different budgets but the fact that all of this results in an outstanding balance of £30 makes me wonder how much the job(s) being discussed over four pages amount to. I strongly suspect not a huge amount of money is involved hence them probably losing interest in being badgered for invoices/ statements / confirmation. 

Glad you’re sorted either way and am ordering £60 worth of popcorn in readiness for your next post. 👍

• Happy 1