Countryfile

booke23

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

as well as the threat from inadequate Government funding.

I wonder whether that's actually how it will be framed or whether the IWA are putting a bit of a spin it there 🤔

1 hour ago, Ewan123 said:

I wonder whether that's actually how it will be framed or whether the IWA are putting a bit of a spin it there 🤔

We'll find out I guess. The BBC do mention the funding issue in their blurb for the programme.

Typical bollocks.

They said 

"It hasn't been drained for 20 years"

It was done in 2009 that's 15 in my book.

And using a pump what is that about why not use the proper drain plug?

Edited by GUMPY
Phat fingers
  • Greenie 4

This is still being broadcast at the time of writing, no doubt available from their web site later. I missed the beginning and came in when they were dewatering Telford's masterpiece, then dealt with dredging the Monty,  currently interviewing Mr. Parry who is discussing funding. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

Quite interesting, but didn't tell us anything we don't already know.

Mr.Parry said the same things; a cut in funding in real terms, and the possibility of having to close some canals, above inflation licence and mooring fees and the same statement from DEFRA that there will be no increased funding from them.

GLOOM! 😞

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Quite interesting, but didn't tell us anything we don't already know.

Mr.Parry said the same things; a cut in funding in real terms, and the possibility of having to close some canals, above inflation licence and mooring fees and the same statement from DEFRA that there will be no increased funding from them.

GLOOM! 😞

I don't think the program is aimed at us, are you planning to put a Swift block in your boat ?

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Nothing new revealed. Some very low mooring prices were quoted, about half of what we are really paying.

To us maybe. But the program hopefully will raise the plight for better funding by the government. We live in hope 😁

Topics now merged.

For future reference, when reporting duplicate topics it really helps to give us moderators the links to the two topics you are suggesting should be merged. It can take us a long time to find the ones you are referring to otherwise. Sometimes we can't even tell which ones you mean.

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Topics now merged.

For future reference, when reporting duplicate topics it really helps to give us moderators the links to the two topics you are suggesting should be merged. It can take us a long time to find the ones you are referring to otherwise. Sometimes we can't even tell which ones you mean.

Thanks and sorry for not making it easy x

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Topics now merged.

You might as well merge it with this one too 

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think the program is aimed at us, are you planning to put a Swift block in your boat ?

Er, what's a "Swift Block"?

A sort of mudweight?

A ballast weight?

A block of birdboxes for Swifts?

A boxing defensive move?

I give up. 🐴

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

A sort of mudweight?

A ballast weight?

A boxing defensive move?

I give up. 🐴

Yes you are correct!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

A sort of mudweight?

A ballast weight?

A boxing defensive move?

I give up. 🐴

I take it you didn't watch the bit about Chirk Aqueduct 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jon57 said:

To us maybe. But the program hopefully will raise the plight for better funding by the government. We live in hope 😁

Which is not likely anytime soon.

There are other priorities that are far more important than the canals.

C&RT simply have to work with the budget they have. It does seem likely that some canals will need to be closed to navigation. The challenge will be to do so in a way that that would allow the closed canals to be restored to navigable  status at some future time.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Momac said:

Which is not likely anytime soon.

There are other priorities that are far more important than the canals.

C&RT simply have to work with the budget they have. It does seem likely that some canals will need to be closed to navigation. The challenge will be to do so in a way that that would allow the closed canals to be restored to navigable  status at some future time.

Hardly. Nobody other than boaters cares about that. Provided the unused canals still have 6" of water in them and a towpath, the saving in money from closing them to boats will have been worth it. 

Just playing Devil's Advocaat....