Battery charging systems

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Debby said:

I have been a member of this forum since 2007, longer than Nick Norman and Ian D, but not as long as Tony. Every year we seem to have one of these threads , accusing people of being nasty to newbies, or someone complaining about the way the forum is run, that there aren't any posts about boat builds, that people with too many posts should stop posting, it's killing the forum, newbies won't stay. Amazingly the forum keeps going, new members do stay - not all of them obviously - and a fair few of the older members who were here when I joined have gone.

It will settle down, it usually does when the weather improves and people can go boating. This forum is very useful - it saved us making a huge mistake and buying a boat - and it can be extremely entertaining, particularly those who take themselves far too seriously.

I rarely post these days, and rarely even log in which means I can avoid even seeing the politics section.

Quite simply, no one forces you to be here. If you don't like it the way it is, and has been for many years, you are free to leave. 

In other words "It's our forum, we'll be nasty to newbies if we want to be, and if you don't like it you can f*ck right off!" -- is that a fair summary of what you've just said?

The reason these accusations keep coming up year after years is that they were true then and they're still true now -- and every time somebody points out that it might just possibly be better to be nice to people instead of nasty (didn't somebody famous say that in the past?), they in turn get attacked by the usual (relatively small number of) culprits -- who are the ones dishing out the abuse.

Who it has to be said often can't stomach it themselves, because when accused of this they simply reply with more abuse, often personal... 😞

And if some people -- especially newbies -- do get fed up with this and leave the forum, they turn round and say "Ha, we got rid of them, good riddance to bad rubbish -- we won again!".

It's the mentality of the playground bully... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Unimpressed 2

1 minute ago, IanD said:

didn't somebody famous say that in the past?

Me I think. 😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

In other words "It's our forum, we'll be nasty to newbies if we want to be, and if you don't like it you can f*ck right off!" -- is that a fair summary of what you've just said?

The reason these accusations keep coming up is that they were true then and they're still true now -- and every time somebody points out that it might just possibly be better to be nice to people instead of nasty (didn't somebody famous say that in the past?), they in turn get attacked by the usual (relatively small number of) culprits -- the ones dishing out the abuse.

Who it has to be said often can't stomach it themselves, because when accused of this they simply reply with more abuse, often personal... 😞

Spot on my new friend. 😂

Just now, truckcab79 said:

Can’t help getting along with people. Give it a go. 😉👍

Just maybe you can remember that when you next decide to have a go at someone who has been trying to help a questioner, without all the information necessary, and gets a rude response for their efforts. I don't think it's unreasonable to bite back against a rude reply, as long it is not done all the time.

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I’m sure forum history will commend you for doing the job of head prefect with vigour and vim and keeping us all in order. Many congratulations!

Which is more than the facebook group I posted a snippet from earlier will do. The history has been deleted. Not only has the original question and associated comments disapperred, but also the subsequent follow up discussion about it. I am sure all those people that offered their time and advice freely are really happy to see their efforts vanish. They could, afterall, have been useful to someone else reading. I don't know if FB has the ability just to turn a thread off or switch off comments, but that seems to be a more logical approach to me, and I'm glad the mods here decided to ignore the request to delete the 'wanted bronze propeller" thread from a few days back.

Still, I could be completely wrong, and the thread has just tempararily disappeared whilst moderation takes place on it.

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just maybe you can remember that when you next decide to have a go at someone who has been trying to help a questioner, without all the information necessary, and gets a rude response for their efforts. I don't think it's unreasonable to bite back against a rude reply, as long it is not done all the time.

Indeed it's not. But it is unreasonable to reply to a "peace-making" post by flinging more self-righteous sh*t at the poster... 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I’ll continue to have a go at rudeness. I’ve never once here or anywhere else been rude to someone unprompted as some on here are. And ‘prompted’ doesn’t include someone being new or querying why they are being asked a myriad of unrelated questions, or talked down to.  I certainly don’t need to take lessons off yourself or any of the others who behave in that way so respectfully best save your advice for those that need it.  

A few on here need to reevaluate what ‘trying to help’ looks like. I’ve known a number of people over the years who seem to think that everyone else they deal with has some issue. Eventually they have to look inward and ask ‘maybe it’s me’. 

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Would you two mind getting a room, is a bit nauseous.

What's up -- as the "self-righteous sh*t-flinger" (see above post), don't you like being on the receiving end of negative comments from others for once?

P.S. You started with the personal attacks, so you can't complain if some sh*t gets batted back at you surely? Sauce for the goose and all that... 😉

Edited by IanD

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Which is more than the facebook group I posted a snippet from earlier will do. The history has been deleted. Not only has the original question and associated comments disapperred, but also the subsequent follow up discussion about it. I am sure all those people that offered their time and advice freely are really happy to see their efforts vanish. They could, afterall, have been useful to someone else reading. I don't know if FB has the ability just to turn a thread off or switch off comments, but that seems to be a more logical approach to me, and I'm glad the mods here decided to ignore the request to delete the 'wanted bronze propeller" thread from a few days back.

Still, I could be completely wrong, and the thread has just tempararily disappeared whilst moderation takes place on it.

Any forum or page has that on occasion but I’m on that group and had loads of friendly, well-informed advice. 

41 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Which is more than the facebook group I posted a snippet from earlier will do. The history has been deleted. Not only has the original question and associated comments disapperred, but also the subsequent follow up discussion about it. I am sure all those people that offered their time and advice freely are really happy to see their efforts vanish. 

I think that was the right move. I did make what I thought was a useful comment expecting to get shot down for it. I also wouldn't copy details from a closed group I belonged to and post them publicly. 

Edited by ditchcrawler

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think that was the right move. I did make what I thought was a useful comment expecting to get shot down for it. I also wouldn't copy details from a closed group I belonged to and post them publicly. 

I suppose whether it was right or not is dependant on what rules the forum owner thought it had broken. However, I think the point I was trying to make, is that it was a similar thread to this one, in that a question was asked, answers given in good faith, and then taken exception to. However, the difference being that the evidence of that discussion have now been censored deleted, giving perhaps a false impression that this site is worse than others. 

I know threads are often locked on this site, and perhaps deleted if they get really bad,in rare cases, but the one on FB to me looked pretty good natured with lots of useful suggestions (including yours).

5 hours ago, Debby said:

I have been a member of this forum since 2007, longer than Nick Norman and Ian D, but not as long as Tony. Every year we seem to have one of these threads , accusing people of being nasty to newbies, or someone complaining about the way the forum is run, that there aren't any posts about boat builds, that people with too many posts should stop posting, it's killing the forum, newbies won't stay. Amazingly the forum keeps going, new members do stay - not all of them obviously - and a fair few of the older members who were here when I joined have gone.

It will settle down, it usually does when the weather improves and people can go boating. This forum is very useful - it saved us making a huge mistake and buying a boat - and it can be extremely entertaining, particularly those who take themselves far too seriously.

I rarely post these days, and rarely even log in which means I can avoid even seeing the politics section.

Quite simply, no one forces you to be here. If you don't like it the way it is, and has been for many years, you are free to leave. 

I've been a forum member since 2006 I think? I don't think it's changed that much at all apart from people now talking about lithium batteries...

It's mostly the same topics and the same old arguments going around and around, newbies popping up and some getting offended. Twas ever thus in my opinion.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, IanD said:

The reason these accusations keep coming up year after years is that they were true then and they're still true now -- and every time somebody points out that it might just possibly be better to be nice to people instead of nasty (didn't somebody famous say that in the past?), they in turn get attacked by the usual (relatively small number of) culprits -- who are the ones dishing out the abuse.

And if some people -- especially newbies -- do get fed up with this and leave the forum, they turn round and say "Ha, we got rid of them, good riddance to bad rubbish -- we won again!".

It's the mentality of the playground bully... 😞

No, that's not what I said, and I see no particular nastiness to newbies at the moment. This forum goes through phases. Someone complains about bullying or rudeness, everyone gets all over protective, demands that the forum needs to be changed, people who don't want it to change get upset. Then it all gets forgotten, things calm down and the forum goes back to being the mainly calm, friendly, helpful and pleasant place it's been for years. In most cases the person who made all the noise about how dreadful the forum is realises that it isn't that bad, and ends up staying.

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've been a forum member since 2006 I think? I don't think it's changed that much at all apart from people now talking about lithium batteries...

It's mostly the same topics and the same old arguments going around and around, newbies popping up and some getting offended. Twas ever thus in my opinion.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say, but you said it better!

11 minutes ago, Debby said:

In most cases the person who made all the noise about how dreadful the forum is realises that it isn't that bad, and ends up staying.

But we currently have one or two exceptions who have decided that they are the arbiter of what is acceptable and what is not.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

And why is it that we regularly seem to get entitled newbies who, having asked a question, then throw their toys out of the pram when asked, in perfectly reasonable terms, to provide clarification, further information or photographs, or when someone here suggests that an alternative solution may be better or cheaper, or quicker to implement? And we get newbies who are of the opinion that having started a topic they alone have the right to determine the route the discussion follows, and when thread drift continues, think they are entitled to have the thread deleted.

I don't do enough other social media to know whether this is widespread on discussion groups, or unique to CWDF, or indeed if it is more visible here because on other platforms the moderators block or delete the discussion before the disagreements get so prolonged.

Or is it just a sign of the times?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

I think yes.

It is the self-appointed "moderators" that really get me, seemingly all too ready to defend rude questioners. It also seems that not everyone's sense of humour are compatible so that gives offence as well.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, truckcab79 said:

I’ll continue to have a go at rudeness. I’ve never once here or anywhere else been rude to someone unprompted as some on here are. 

Oh I think you probably have, I think we all have. Since offence is taken as much as it's given it's a very bold claim to say that you've never been rude to anyone unprompted.

Sometimes we may not realise we're being rude or that others may perceive our words or behaviour as rude but invariably it happens. None of us are saints and since you're calling for others to look inward you might want to think about taking some of your own advice. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And why is it that we regularly seem to get entitled newbies who, having asked a question, then throw their toys out of the pram when asked, in perfectly reasonable terms, to provide clarification, further information or photographs, or when someone here suggests that an alternative solution may be better or cheaper, or quicker to implement? And we get newbies who are of the opinion that having started a topic they alone have the right to determine the route the discussion follows, and when thread drift continues, think they are entitled to have the thread deleted.

I don't do enough other social media to know whether this is widespread on discussion groups, or unique to CWDF, or indeed if it is more visible here because on other platforms the moderators block or delete the discussion before the disagreements get so prolonged.

It certainly isn't a problem on other forums I use - asking for more info, pictures etc seems welcomed by the original questioner and when an answer is not just "Yes" or "No" there can be 'pages' of explanations as to why it was done a certain way and what happens if it is done the way the OP suggested.

However - I think there are a lot less of the "Entitled generation" on those forums and any help is usually received with "thanks", "a big help" etc etc.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But we currently have one or two exceptions who have decided that they are the arbiter of what is acceptable and what is not.

Yes, we've had those before. It all goes round in circles, especially at this time of year.

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You mean the ones who decide that the behaviour of some newbies is unacceptable and respond aggressively, even to posts which are obviously trying to pour water on the flames?

I'm glad we agree for once -- that this isn't the kind of behaviour that shows up CWDF in a good light... 😉