Business licence

illia

Featured Posts

I can fully understand this post, a few years back my son said I think I will buy a narrowboat on the G&S so his son could live on it Tuesday to Friday morning and then rent it out a weekends. He thought it was a great idea and even started sending me adverts for cheap boats to see what I thought of them. Thankfully he didn't follow it through.

31 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You're right, my back went clunk and I'm hobbling about on a stick. Probably explains it.

My mate did this many years ago and promptly subscribed to "Osteopath Monthly" magazine. He tells me he has a lot of back issues. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MtB said:

You took too many grumpy pills this morning Arthur!

He's quite right, the OP appears to have no idea what he is about. Recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

He's quite right, the OP appears to have no idea what he is about. Recipe for disaster.

Yes this has been clear to everyone posting. But other posters have been kindly and courteously (for a change!) pointing out the pitfalls to the OP, then Arther steams in, telling it how it is....

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Nice to see you , as usual, adding nothing but pointless snark to a discussion. Perfectly in character, of course. Well done.

I think ^^^this^^^ says more about you, than it says about me.

On 14/02/2024 at 14:04, Arthur Marshall said:

The op should (assuming they are serious, which personally I doubt) also remember that, in general, advice given for free is worth what they've paid for it. Odd, too, that the boat owner seems to know nothing about either marina regulations or continuous cruising. And appears incapable of reading anything CRT has produced on the subject.

And also does not seem to understand that, for licensing purposes, continuous cruising is not relevant - the criterion is whether or not there is a home mooring. Whether you comply with the moving rules for the type of licence that you hold can only be determined after the event - hence why CaRT have a convoluted process for denying a licence to non (or insufficient) movers.

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

And also does not seem to understand that, for licensing purposes, continuous cruising is not relevant - the criterion is whether or not there is a home mooring.

Maybe the lack of understanding will change next year when a 'CC' licence costs more (maybe a lot more) than a 'boat with a home mooring licence'

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe the lack of understanding will change next year when a 'CC' licence costs more (maybe a lot more) than a 'boat with a home mooring licence'

I thought the CC surcharge was planned to go up by 5% a year over 5 years?

3 hours ago, IanD said:

I thought the CC surcharge was planned to go up by 5% a year over 5 years?

I think you are in error.

It is a sliding scale based on the 'standard' licence fee which is not a 'controlled' figure, last year, from memory, resulting in a 13% increase on the previous year.

So, what each years 'standard fee' will be we have no idea.

Basically if we take the standard fee in 2024 as being £1000 and assume 10% per annum increase the CC licence fee will become

image.png.27a4cedb6b8b7c203272b8faacd94d53.png

2024 standard licence £1000 CC licence £1050

2025 standard licence £1100 CC licence £1210

2026 standard licence £1210 CC licence £1392

2027 standard licence £1331 CC licence £1597

So a standard licence will rise from £1000 to £1331 (33%) whilst the CC licence will increase from £1050 to £1597 (52%) - not an unsubstantial sum.

For comparison a Class 3 Wide Beam without a home mooring will be paying £2330 per annum in 2028 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you are in error.

It is a sliding scale based on the 'standard' licence fee which is not a 'controlled' figure, last year, from memory, resulting in a 13% increase on the previous year.

So, what each years 'standard fee' will be we have no idea.

Basically if we take the standard fee in 2024 as being £1000 and assume 10% per annum increase the CC licence fee will become

image.png.27a4cedb6b8b7c203272b8faacd94d53.png

2024 standard licence £1000 CC licence £1050

2025 standard licence £1100 CC licence £1210

2026 standard licence £1210 CC licence £1392

2027 standard licence £1331 CC licence £1597

So a standard licence will rise from £1000 to £1331 (33%) whilst the CC licence will increase from £1050 to £1597 (52%) - not an unsubstantial sum.

For comparison a Class 3 Wide Beam without a home mooring will be paying £2330 per annum in 2028 

but as your chart shows, the surcharge alone for not having a home mooring is 5% increasing to 25% over 5 years,

regardless of any annual inflation figures or extra charges for width or size

…I reckon he’s correct. 

5 minutes ago, nealeST said:

Still great value for money. The mortgage rate on my modest apartment goes up about £400 a month as of this month. 😨

£400, that’s harsh

7 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

but as your chart shows, the surcharge alone for not having a home mooring is 5% increasing to 25% over 5 years,

regardless of any annual inflation figures or extra charges for width or size

…I reckon he’s correct. 

So, is it a 5% a year increase on the standard licence (as you and Ian suggest), or,

Is it a 5% increase year on year with year one  being 5% on a standard licence, 10% increase in year 2, 15% in year 3 ..............., as described by C&RT ?

Maybe Ian didn't actually write what he meant to write ?

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Whether you comply with the moving rules for the type of licence that you hold can only be determined after the event - hence why CaRT have a convoluted process for denying a licence to non (or insufficient) movers.

The '95 Act requires those applying for a licence without a home mooring (I.e. CCing) to 'satisfy the Board' they will meet the  requirements. For anyone applying for a licence for the first time CRT therefore has to accept their word as to their intentions. It is only when the boater comes to apply to renew their licence, that CRT can use evidence of the boaters's past behaviour in deciding whether it will be 'satisfied' in relation to the next licence period.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So, is it a 5% a year increase on the standard licence (as you and Ian suggest), or,

Is it a 5% increase year on year with year one  being 5% on a standard licence, 10% increase in year 2, 15% in year 3 ..............., as described by C&RT ?

Maybe Ian didn't actually write what he meant to write ? 

I understand in 5 years time someone without a home mooring will simply pay 25% more on top of what ever the price of a standard license happens to be in 5 years time for the size of the boat being licensed,

if that makes sense,

this first year they will pay 5% on top of whatever the standard license has risen to, 

next year they will pay 10% on top of whatever the standard license has risen to,

….and so on, 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I understand in 5 years time someone without a home mooring will simply pay 25% more on top of what ever the price of a standard license happens to be in 5 years time for the size of the boat being licensed,

if that makes sense,

this first year they will pay 5% on top of whatever the standard license has risen to, 

next year they will pay 10% on top of whatever the standard license has risen to,

….and so on, 

Your understanding is correct.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

18 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

if that makes sense,

….and so on, 

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Your understanding is correct.

So, doesn't this mean a boat with a cc licence will pay (only) 10% more than the same boat with a home mooring?

Whether that is a lot more depends on the cost of the home mooring licence and one's view of what amounts to lot more.

5 minutes ago, Tacet said:

So, doesn't this mean a boat with a cc licence will pay (only) 10% more than the same boat with a home mooring?

For a Narrowboat :

In 2024 a CC boat will pay 5% more than a boat with a home mooring

In 2025 a CC boat will pay 10% more than a boat with a home mooring

In 2026 a CC boat will pay 15% more than a boat with a home mooring

In 2027 a CC boat will pay 20% more than a boat with a home mooring

In 2028 a CC boat will pay 25% more than a boat with a home mooring

For a Class 3 Widebeam :

In 2024 a CC boat will pay 31% more than a boat with a home mooring

In 2025 a CC boat will pay 42% more than a boat with a home mooring

In 2026 a CC boat will pay 53% more than a boat with a home mooring

In 2027 a CC boat will pay 64% more than a boat with a home mooring

In 2028 a CC boat will pay 75% more than a boat with a home mooring