Boat sinks. What to use for hole?

magnetman

Featured Posts

I've been considering putting a small sink in the shopping launch due to occasionally having dirty hands. 

The general idea seems to be to get a ss dog bowl or similar for this as it is going to need to be smaller than standard products and cut a hole in it for the drain but I am wondering what tool to use for the cutting..

1mm is stainless. A bit awkward. 

• Greenie 1

Id think a brick /tile holesaw would be better than a toothed one for metal..........you can also get hole punches that pull together with a centre screw .......most stainless is twice as strong as mild steel ,and considerable force may be needed................also note cheap stainless bowls are actually chrome steel ,and will get dirty brown stains .........you need a 304 or 316 type stainless ,which may be expensive.

10 minutes ago, john.k said:

Id think a brick /tile holesaw would be better than a toothed one for metal..........you can also get hole punches that pull together with a centre screw .......most stainless is twice as strong as mild steel ,and considerable force may be needed................also note cheap stainless bowls are actually chrome steel ,and will get dirty brown stains .........you need a 304 or 316 type stainless ,which may be expensive.

Thats Qmax, stainless is hard but a dog bowl is thin. Not sure if I've ever used Qmax on stainless but have got through some thicker mild steel with them, lubricate the threads.

37 minutes ago, john.k said:

Brick and tile holesaws are far too broad toothed for stainless, or any metal really though screwfix do a multi-material set thats surprising good.  Brick and tile cutters will just spin for days. Hole punch is what you need. Plenty available  for around a tenner.   You can spend more but it’s for one job so not really worth it.  Much more than that and take it to a local metalworker and get them to do it for you. It won’t be neat but if you have a jigsaw you can cut it out with a suitable blade and clean it up with a file after.  

Edited by truckcab79

9 hours ago, MtB said:

"Boat sinks. What to use for hole?"

You dun that on purpose to get the views, didn't you!!

Click bait title. It worked on me. 😛

9 hours ago, john.k said:

also note cheap stainless bowls are actually chrome steel ,and will get dirty brown stains

I've used cheap stainless dog bowls as chimney hats and not seen corrosion problems over several years in the very corrosive smoke environment. Eventually, they crack at the edges, but I suspect that has something to do with built in stresses from the press forming operation when they were made. Certainly no rust type corrosion. Depends on the bowl I suppose and tricky to check what you are getting before buying. Taking a magnet along might help, most proper stainless steels being austenitic and not attracted to magnets, but it's been forty years since I learnt any metallurgy! I reckon a @magnetman has one kicking about somewhere.

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

I've been considering putting a small sink in the shopping launch due to occasionally having dirty hands. 

The general idea seems to be to get a ss dog bowl or similar for this as it is going to need to be smaller than standard products and cut a hole in it for the drain but I am wondering what tool to use for the cutting..

1mm is stainless. A bit awkward. 

Just use a bi metal hole saw. Doesn't matter if you make a dogs dinner of it. They are as cheap as chips. Either that or ware gloves 😁👍

9 hours ago, MtB said:

"Boat sinks. What to use for hole?"

You dun that on purpose to get the views, didn't you!!

59 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Click bait title. It worked on me. 😛

Similarly duped here...

I made a small custom basin out of wood for the camper - off-cuts stuck together with sikaflex and a few coats of Danish oil. The base is ply, easily cut with a hole-saw and fitted with an off-the-shelf plug 'ole.

image.png.0c76c2b21fcb5c361551815d56ee9f15.png

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

What's wrong with a bucket lad, or just wash your hands in th river. You could even empty the contents of the bowl over the side by simply lifting it..

Frankly ,i'm amazed you want to wash your hands anyway. Anyone would think there's a woman involved here. 

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

What's wrong with a bucket lad, or just wash your hands in th river. You could even empty the contents of the bowl over the side by simply lifting it..

Frankly ,i'm amazed you want to wash your hands anyway. Anyone would think there's a woman involved here. 

I was shocked as well.

Its just that the River is now on fact an open sewer so it seems wise to up the hygiene a little. 

54 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Won't remove the dirt but will kill the germs.

I was always puzzled about germs as a kid. What is one?

They seemed important to my muvver. I imagined they were like ants only smaller. 

I'm still puzzled now. 

14 hours ago, magnetman said:

This?? - won't need a hole then (from Dave Moore about a year ago)

029D60F1-2263-4B96-B3C9-D5AA30748373.jpeg.7ea99889a8ea78c69cc3a9237768c223.jpeg

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Bacchus said:

Similarly duped here...

I made a small custom basin out of wood for the camper - off-cuts stuck together with sikaflex and a few coats of Danish oil. The base is ply, easily cut with a hole-saw and fitted with an off-the-shelf plug 'ole.

The original "Butler" sinks were made of hard wood to reduce the chance of accidentally chipping expensive china when washing up.  

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Bacchus said:

Similarly duped here...

Thats great. 

I went on the late great Nigel Moore's narrow Boat a few yars ago and he had an amazing wash basin made from wood but it was a shaped basin. He also had a wooden bath which was quite impressive. 

Must admit that I did not think of using wood. 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Thats great. 

I went on the late great Nigel Moore's narrow Boat a few yars ago and he had an amazing wash basin made from wood but it was a shaped basin. He also had a wooden bath which was quite impressive. 

Must admit that I did not think of using wood. 

Always wanted to make a wooden bath - I am sure it wouldn't be too difficult to cold-laminate something...

the little sink in the van works well - it's really just a glorified spittoon for tooth maintenance, but I have put hot water in for a shave before