mooring fees

BGA

Featured Posts

Is there anyone moored in a marina being charged for a jetty they don't occupy? For example, a marina with 50 foot jetties allow a 57 foot boat to moor at the jetty and then charge for a 60 foot boat. The reason I ask is that I know of a marina that does this so for a 57' boat the jetty ends 7' before the end of the boat making exit from that end very difficult and for last year that was also about £160 for three foot of water in front of the boat.

My boat is longer than the finger pontoon. Its a quite common scenario.

I pay according to the length of the boat .

My previous boat was shorter and I paid according to the boat length even though the pontoon was longer than the boat.

We pay by boat length but in payment brackets so we are in the up to 60' band for a 57' boat and didn't pay anything extra when on a 70' jetty and wouldn't pay any less if on a 50' jetty.

Jetties shorter than boats are common. If this causes an access problem you may have to moor with your main entrance at the landward end.

If you occupy only part of the maximum length, the marina is not usually able to rent the remaining length out to someone else, so you end up paying for the full length. Marinas can charge on any basis they like, so if their terms are not acceptable to you, you always have the option to go elsewhere.

wot he said.  when we were in a marina, we paid for 15m/50 foot boat, but when we were on an 18m Jetty the marina said if they needed it we would have to move to a 15m jetty (or pay the 18m rate). was never a problem in reality.  I think if i was paying for a 60 foot boat I'd want a jetty that was suitable, but as Dave Mack and others say, if you don't like the marinas charging regime you have a choice...  

The marina where I am which granted is on the sea, has 8m fingers in the 8-10m berths, 10m fingers in the 10-12m berths, etc. We pay according to LOA of boat. Mobos park stern to so they can get off the back, sailyboats tend to park nose in & climb off where their boat is widest, in the middle somewhere...

The longer the fingers the more awkward it will be to park...

Edited by Crewcut

We pay by boat length of 60 ft. We were on a 60 ft finger but recently moved to the very end of the main pontoon, the 'hammerhead' which is 65 ft. Doesn't cost more.

38 minutes ago, Crewcut said:

The marina where I am which granted is on the sea, has 8m fingers in the 8-10m berths, 10m fingers in the 10-12m berths, etc. We pay according to LOA of boat. Mobos park stern to so they can get off the back, sailyboats tend to park nose in & climb off where their boat is widest, in the middle somewhere...

The longer the fingers the more awkward it will be to park...

Coastal marina and words like "back", "park" and "nose"............ Please .      

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BGA said:

Is there anyone moored in a marina being charged for a jetty they don't occupy?

Probably.

I am close to the circumstance you describe. I pay CRT for a 57ft space and have a 45ft boat on it. Somebody put a gun to my head and forced me to sign up for such a deal, obvioiusly. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I pay CRT for a 57ft space and have a 45ft boat on it. Somebody put a gun to my head and forced me to sign up for such a deal, obvioiusly. 

Stick a 10ft tender on the moorings so you get more value for money :D

13 hours ago, MtB said:

Would that give me a tender behind?

Not necessarily. You might have the tender spot in front, on your 'nose' by the terminology used by Crewcut. 😃

Edited by Tam & Di