Mystery Weaver Collection images

Featured Posts

I am working on getting more of the Philip Weaver Collection of photos onto the RCHS/ROMA website, work that was ably begun by Ray Shill. Many slides are captioned but not all, and help would be appreciated. This one we know is "GJCC's steam launch Swift. 1895" but the question is where. Obviously a problem with water levels . . . Great picture anyway!

045803E.jpg

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Hugh Potter said:

I am working on getting more of the Philip Weaver Collection of photos onto the RCHS/ROMA website, work that was ably begun by Ray Shill. Many slides are captioned but not all, and help would be appreciated. This one we know is "GJCC's steam launch Swift. 1895" but the question is where. Obviously a problem with water levels . . . Great picture anyway!

045803E.jpg

Great picture, thanks for the post :)

4 hours ago, Hugh Potter said:

045803E.jpg

Didn't do a very good job with the stealth technology though... 😉

zumwalt.jpg

1 hour ago, Chris Lowe said:

Also telegraph poles on the towpath

In and around the 1800's to late 1900's telegraph pole routes were common along canals.
A strong possibility for them sited thus, was that Telegraph Companies, before and including latterly, the G.P.O., would only have to negotiate one wayleave with the canal company. If the routes went via local authorities / land owners several wayleaves would have to be negotiated, along with additional costs, time involved etc.
There is one remanent of these mighty structures along the Coventry Canal between bridges 25 and 26. I did present a case to Historic England to have a preservation order placed on this pole. Whilst Historic England were impressed with the case I presented they said the pole was beyond their remit.
I also contacted BT, Warwickshire County Council and Nuneaton & Bedworth District Council, none of them were interested.

So when it eventually rots and falls over, that is it gone! 

2059764_5cfcda36.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

Their modern update is the network of fibre optic cables under many towpaths. Much less visible than the telegraph poles of old, with only a cabinet above ground every once in a while.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/blogs/waterfront/the-fibreway-beside-our-waterways

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15721173-400-the-future-in-tow-old-waterways-are-coming-into-their-own-again-with-the-revolution-in-communications/

44 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But the same would be the case if it is listed. All you could have would be a replica erected in its place.

Not necessarily, a maintenance regime could be instituted, which BT /Openreach does with its existing poles.
Bearing in mind the official "enthusiasm" I was met with by the various authorities I contacted, a Rhet Butler quote comes to mind.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=frankly+my+dear+i+don't+give+damn&mid=1F0DE0DE3E6D43D062FA1F0DE0DE3E6D43D062FA&FORM=VIRE

Edited by Ray T

The original image is part of a contour. Its very distinctive. Its not one of the old locks at Cosgrove is it ? 

It looks really like Targets Turn but there is no lock there. 

There seems to be a lodge in the background to the right of the funnel. Looks too far away to be a lock cottage. Maybe stately home parkland. 

It also looks a little bit like Sewer lock but the curve seems too be too tight. 

There was a building there adjacent to Sewer lock I think it was related to watercress beds because it is the other side of the Bulbourne river. I seem to recall there are still some remains of this building. 

Screenshot_2024-01-08-15-18-17-336_com.android.chrome.jpg.47c058dd8453f301756d161baec15d01.jpg

6 hours ago, Hugh Potter said:

045803E.jpg

Hugh - Pywells lock (again!)

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

In and around the 1800's to late 1900's telegraph pole routes were common along canals.
A strong possibility for them sited thus, was that Telegraph Companies, before and including latterly, the G.P.O., would only have to negotiate one wayleave with the canal company. If the routes went via local authorities / land owners several wayleaves would have to be negotiated, along with additional costs, time involved etc.
There is one remanent of these mighty structures along the Coventry Canal between bridges 25 and 26. I did present a case to Historic England to have a preservation order placed on this pole. Whilst Historic England were impressed with the case I presented they said the pole was beyond their remit.
I also contacted BT, Warwickshire County Council and Nuneaton & Bedworth District Council, none of them were interested.

So when it eventually rots and falls over, that is it gone! 

2059764_5cfcda36.jpg

I was thinking that as I passed yesterday, but being wood it would end up like Tiggers Broom eventually 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2024 at 14:43, Ray T said:

Not necessarily, a maintenance regime could be instituted, which BT /Openreach does with its existing poles.
Bearing in mind the official "enthusiasm" I was met with by the various authorities I contacted, a Rhet Butler quote comes to mind.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=frankly+my+dear+i+don't+give+damn&mid=1F0DE0DE3E6D43D062FA1F0DE0DE3E6D43D062FA&FORM=VIRE

There is another similar in Stroud by the  Stroudwater Navigation . Our relatively enlightened council have taken its importance on board. Perhaps Warwicks can be encouraged to do the same with sight of the article ? Admittedly the article was 2016 but it’s still there and IIRC there is a plaque mentioning this beside the post. . 

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/14756226.one-of-oldest-telegraph-poles-in-the-uk-to-remain-part-of-strouds-canal-side-landscape-after-being-saved/

Edited by Stroudwater1

Telegraph poles appeared along the L&LC between Liverpool and Leigh after an agreement was made with the UK Electric Telegraph Company. The line continued down the Bridgewater to Manchester. The photo shows one of Appleby's boats heading out of Liverpool, probably with a load of grain.

1930s? horse boat, Halsall area 078.jpg

Here are a nice couple of old pictures showing telegram/phone poles going up the Rochdale canal out of Manchester
This image is of Lock 80. http://www.gmlives.org.uk/imu/request.php?request=Multimedia&method=fetch&key=68895 from 1899

and this image is of lock 81 http://www.gmlives.org.uk/imu/request.php?request=Multimedia&method=fetch&key=68947 from 1908

However I have a problem the wire and poles appear to be on opposite side of the canal, however they may be swapping side just above lock 81.

--

IAn MAc

• Greenie 1