Macclesfield to Birmingham

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

I'm struggling to make sense of the Birmingham canals, so advice will be welcome.

The plan is to come down from the Macc, have a run through Burmingham and then home. The route to and from Birmingham doesn't matter much, but I'd have about eight days to bring the boat through the city before my crew finds a station and goes home. We tend to do five hours cruising a day at most.

Every time I look at the map I get terminally confused, and Nicholsons is incomprehensible. Any suggestions with obvious landmarks on the map....

I've not been through it yet, and the time has come.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm struggling to make sense of the Birmingham canals, so advice will be welcome.

The plan is to come down from the Macc, have a run through Burmingham and then home. The route to and from Birmingham doesn't matter much, but I'd have about eight days to bring the boat through the city before my crew finds a station and goes home. We tend to do five hours cruising a day at most.

Every time I look at the map I get terminally confused, and Nicholsons is incomprehensible. Any suggestions with obvious landmarks on the map....

I've not been through it yet, and the time has come.

Is the 8 days inclusive from leaving your mooring to returning to your mooring? If so, it would be handy to know where on the Macc you need to leave from, and how long it normally takes you to get to the closest point you normally head to. If the 8 days is not inclusive it would be handy to know how close you want to be at the start/end of it. There are some very interesting parts of the BCN to see although I have realised that what we normally cover in the BCN challenge over a weekend is probably nearly six days worth of your trip!

Alec

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, agg221 said:

Is the 8 days inclusive from leaving your mooring to returning to your mooring? If so, it would be handy to know where on the Macc you need to leave from, and how long it normally takes you to get to the closest point you normally head to. If the 8 days is not inclusive it would be handy to know how close you want to be at the start/end of it. There are some very interesting parts of the BCN to see although I have realised that what we normally cover in the BCN challenge over a weekend is probably nearly six days worth of your trip!

Alec

No, the time before and after doesn't matter much. My wife wants to do the interesting bit, and she's got ten free days, so she could get the train to Rugely if I'm coming down that way. We need a station within reasonable distance at each end of the ten days. I can take as long as I like to get to her start point and home afterwards.

I'm actually leaving from Congleton.

6 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

A lot to choose from,

but 5 places to put in a route to start with might be;

Tipton

Birmingham

Delph Flight

Walsall Basin,

Cannock Extension

are you too late to sign for the BCN Explorer? That’s a good ontroduction

I can't make the explorer dates, unfortunately. That gives me a start to look at... planning these things is half the fun of doing the trip, especially when it's cold and chucking it down outside.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No, the time before and after doesn't matter much. My wife wants to do the interesting bit, and she's got ten free days, so she could get the train to Rugely if I'm coming down that way. We need a station within reasonable distance at each end of the ten days. I can take as long as I like to get to her start point and home afterwards.

I'm actually leaving from Congleton.

I can't make the explorer dates, unfortunately. That gives me a start to look at... planning these things is half the fun of doing the trip, especially when it's cold and chucking it down outside.

Yes planning and a bit of research is great fun,

I can guarantee you’ll get lots of ideas, as you know the BCN is a favourite for many on here,

why not take part in the challenge? End of May,

You don’t have to go mad, just do your 5 hours each day and enjoy,

I think I managed maybe 6 or 7 hours this year and 3 locks.

10 hours ago, agg221 said:

In that case, without working out the stations specifically, I think I would head down the T&M and then the Coventry, probably picking up your wife from Tamworth station. The junction with the Birmingham and Fazeley is a couple of miles from the station but the canal does get closer, to within a mile at Glascote, and Glascote Basin is quite pleasant (and Menzies Marine Hardware is an interesting place to visit).

I would then go down the Birmingham and Fazeley, in to the centre. Exactly where you moor doesn't make much odds but anywhere from Old Turn to the NIA is decent for the centre.

From there, I would consider what you want to see - there isn't a single simple route through, more poking about to look at things. I think I would include a trip down through the Netherton Tunnel and on to Hawne Basin. Just outside Hawne Basin and just south of Netherton are both nice spots to stop. I'm not sure I would look to carry on down to Delph as it takes you a bit out of the way unless you are going down to Stourbridge.

I would then probably head either to the Northern BCN or the Black Country Museum, depending on timing and preference. Ryders Green flight is, for me, the closest thing to the old BCN I have found. The Walsall is not exactly pretty, but it isn't difficult and the basin is OK as a mooring. There is also some interesting work going on clearing out the connection to the Bradley Arm. Once you have reached the top of the Walsall flight, again time dictates where to go. There are no more locks, so you can either head up to Anglesey Basin if you have time (one of my favourite places), or stop at Pelsall, or just turn left and head round to Wolverhampton via Sneyd. If you have time you could head back left at the end and take in Bradley or the Black Country Museum.

When it's time to head home, I would go down the Wolverhampton 21. There is a station within walking distance of Wolverhampton Boat Club just up the SU but you could head up either the S&W or the SU depending on your preference. Both have some nice small towns and plenty of services.

Just a few thoughts - it's all interesting, and I agree with Glenn, if your timing allows then visiting during either the Explorer Cruise or the Challenge could be a good option.

Alec

That's excellent and realy helpful. Thanks.

10 hours ago, agg221 said:

n that case, without working out the stations specifically, I think I would head down the T&M and then the Coventry, probably picking up your wife from Tamworth station. The junction with the Birmingham and Fazeley is a couple of miles from the station but the canal does get closer, to within a mile at Glascote, and Glascote Basin is quite pleasant (and Menzies Marine Hardware is an interesting place to visit).

I’ve used Wilnecote Station a few times and walked a mile to Fazeley, 20 minute at a quick pace, 

come out the station and you’re on the main road straight into town. 
Option of bus stops all the way or a few minutes in a taxi.

I like Fazeley and once you’ve picked your wife up you could head towards Curdworth and moor below the bottom lock for the night,

a very pretty and restful place,

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I’ve used Wilnecote Station a few times and walked a mile to Fazeley, 20 minute at a quick pace, 

come out the station and you’re on the main road straight into town. 
Option of bus stops all the way or a few minutes in a taxi.

I like Fazeley and once you’ve picked your wife up you could head towards Curdworth and moor below the bottom lock for the night,

a very pretty and restful place,

Why not go to the Dog & Doublet. Used to do good meals there but I have not eaten there since the pandemic

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I would add Gower Branch to take in the BCNs staircase, I like to mix the old and new main lines with a combination of Brades locks, Spon Lane locks and Smethwick locks.

Yes, I would agree it is worth seeing both for the contrast, and it doesn't really get lock-heavy whichever way you go around the main Birmingham-Wolverhampton lines.

I have been thinking a bit about other things to see - the problem is that you could easily stretch well beyond the allocated time. However, just to mention that heading up to Titford Pools is an interesting diversion for the opportunity to go around on them. We have also poked our nose as far down the Tat Bank branch as possible, and also continued on up the Ridgeacre Branch of the Wednesbury Old rather than going straight down Ryder's Green (not officially recommended but not banned, and if nobody ever does then it will silt up to oblivion), and gone up what there is of the Gospel Oak branch. All of these are short diversions and so long as you don't mind reversing are very simple but have the feel of exploring lost canals.

I wondered about whether I would head on to the Black Country Museum after having gone down to Hawne Basin and then back to the Wednesbury. If timing looked OK I think I would on balance as one of the less interesting stretches is from Tipton to Wolverhampton, so if that gone missed out it wouldn't be so bad. That might mean going up Smethwick, along the old main line to Dudley, then down Tipton and back along the new main line, although there then wouldn't be an obvious route along the Gower branch, but you could take in the Titford if you felt so inclined. So many choices...!

Things I wouldn't mind missing - The Tame Valley, the Rushall (nice but not worth the detour to get there) and the Main Line from Dudley to Wolverhampton unless the route particularly too me that way.

Diesel is available at Hawne Basin. Not sure whether you have a cassette or pump-out but worth planning around this - both are possible in the centre of Birmingham and at Hawne Basin but beyond that I am not sure on other pump-outs. There is an Elsan point at Wolverhampton (in the old FMC basin, which is worth a look anyway). I mentioned the mooring at Pelsall - didn't mention that this is by a decent pub. There is also a handy mooring in Brownhills near a supermarket. Anglesey Basin is one of the most remote spots on the network - perfect for loud instruments! Also worth mentioning that I think there is still a visitor's mooring at Ocker Hill (pretty much opposite where the Tame Valley meets the Walsall) just up the short arm. This is a little out of date, but can be a useful guide: https://bcnsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/BCN-Safe-Moorings-2017-12-06.pdf

Things around the canal to see and do, depending on your personal taste. Central Birmingham is accessible within walking distance, including the Bull Ring area (Digbeth) where the rag market is worth a look; as is the Jewellery Quarter (good for looking in the windows, perhaps less so to actually go in) and there is the pen museum in the same general direction. Smethwick pumping station is interesting, as is Bradley if you do go up the arm. The Black Country Museum I still find enjoyable, although its shift to a focus on social rather than industrial history makes it less appealing and the condition of the boats and the canal-related end of it I find rather depressing; the trip into the tunnel is still good though. There is some good industrial history up around Anglesey and the other excellent place to stop briefly is the final remaining railway interchange basin with the infrastructure still in place at Chillington Wharf. This is on the run in to Wolverhampton, on the right. You can't get in to it so it is simply a quick pull in and peer over the fence, but it's derelict and collapsing so it won't be there to see for long. In Wolverhampton itself, mooring anywhere near the top lock has always been fine. There are some extremely secure moorings on the offside, where you can't even get off the boat, but we have always found it fine. There is a homeless shelter just across the road so there are usually a few homeless people about but I have always found them friendly and rather lonely, just wanting a chat, never drunk or threatening. It can be a bit of a challenge to get away though! Wolverhampton also has an excellent (and free) art gallery if you enjoy such things. I particularly like the work of Edwin Butler Bayliss and they have the largest collection of his paintings anywhere.

That will do for now!

Alec

Alec

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Why not go to the Dog & Doublet. Used to do good meals there but I have not eaten there since the pandemic

Yeah, why not? plenty of mooring too.

They’re most likely under new management since you last visited? Same staff running it though. 
The only thing to have changed (I think) is they have live music in one off the out buildings.

Otherwise all seems the same.

but….my preference would be to go up to Brum via the Stourbridge Flight,

not the quickest or easiest but possibly the most interesting if you consider all the things to see before you get to Netherton Tunnel,

I have no advice with trains over that way though,

Wolverhampton 21 I always think of as the easiest/quickest route up.

The flight can be done in a morning. 

16 minutes ago, agg221 said:

That will do for now!

yes there’s so much it’s hard to know where to start!

I think Arthur would like the Wyerly and Essington because there’re some lovely remote/countrified spots,

which is one reason why I thought suggesting Cannock Extension would be a good idea

39 minutes ago, Tonka said:

We stopped at the Dog and Doublet this year, dining was interesting as they had standard pub grub in the afternoon but switched to Chinese at 5pm for the evening food.  Meal was ok.

17 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

my preference would be to go up to Brum via the Stourbridge Flight,

not the quickest or easiest but possibly the most interesting if you consider all the things to see before you get to Netherton Tunnel,

I have no advice with trains over that way though

There is a station in Stourbridge that I've used, not far from the end of the Stourbridge branch.

• Happy 1

I propose a core route and possible detours along the lines of:

Access the BCN via the Stourbridge and Dudley canals with possible visits to Stourbridge basin and Hawne basin.

Head round to the BCLM at Tipton and take a trip into Dudley Tunnel with the DC&TT.

Carry on into Birmingham city centre via any combination of old and new main lines and it possible take a trip up Oldbury locks to Titford pools. Moor in Birmingham city centre.

Leave central Birmingham via Farmers Bridge and then probably Ashted/Garrison for Star City moorings.

Ascend Perry Barr and Rushall flights then explore the top end of the BCN including possible visits to Anglesey, Norton Canes and drop down to Walsall basin.

Contiune round via Wednesfield and then exit down the Wolverhampton flight.

Penkridge, Stourbridge Town and Wolverhampton stations are all easy for the canal. Penkridge and Wolverhampton easy for trains from the NW.

Obviously you could do the whole thing the other way round.

• Greenie 1

Presumably you would come south on the T&M, so there are two obvious was to get to the Birmingham/Wolverhampton level.

Go down the S&W and then up the Wolverhampton 21 to the Wolverhampton level. Wolverhampton rail station is at the top of the flight.

The other way is to continue down the T&M and then right at Fradley junction onto the Coventry, then right at Fazeley junction onto the B&F, the second right at Salford junction and up Aston and Farmers Bridge locks to the Birmingham level in the centre of Birmingham.  New Street station is a 15 min walk from there.

It would make for more interest to go one way on the way out and the other on the way back.

To get to those points you will in the main use the Main Lines (Old & New).  There are three locks (20ft) between the Birmingham and Wolverhampton levels and you 4 choices of which locks to used.  My preference is to go the Gower Branch and Brades locks which is the only staircase on the BCN (I call it 2 1/2 locks) and that route will give a good mix of the Old and New Main Lines.  The New Main Line takes the same route as the Wolverhampton to Birmingham railway and there are stations and also tram stops all along it.  My favourite is Smethwick Galton Bridge station which is very well connected as two line cross there and the platforms of one of the lines are on the bridge over the New Main Line.

There are obviously lots of deviations and variations that you can make from this depending on time, the number of locks you want to do and how much iff the beaten track you want to go.

59 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I propose a core route and possible detours along the lines of:

Access the BCN via the Stourbridge and Dudley canals with possible visits to Stourbridge basin and Hawne basin.

Head round to the BCLM at Tipton and take a trip into Dudley Tunnel with the DC&TT.

Carry on into Birmingham city centre via any combination of old and new main lines and it possible take a trip up Oldbury locks to Titford pools. Moor in Birmingham city centre.

Leave central Birmingham via Farmers Bridge and then probably Ashted/Garrison for Star City moorings.

Ascend Perry Barr and Rushall flights then explore the top end of the BCN including possible visits to Anglesey, Norton Canes and drop down to Walsall basin.

Contiune round via Wednesfield and then exit down the Wolverhampton flight.

Penkridge, Stourbridge Town and Wolverhampton stations are all easy for the canal. Penkridge and Wolverhampton easy for trains from the NW.

Obviously you could do the whole thing the other way round.

I can’t fault that one,

particularly like the idea to drop down Farmers Bridge and then work around to and up the Perry Barr Flight,

Map wise it’s confusing as it all appears to be on one level.

Once you take in that the main line is roughly 3 locks lower than the old main line then it begins to make sense. To get to the old line from the new you go up the various connecting locks.

Dudley Tunnel is Old Main line level as is Wolverhampton top lock and the BCLM. The water is very clear, which is pleasant. 

Netherton Tunnel  is on the New main line which crosses under the Old line just before the tunnel.

Farmers bridge top lock / very long pound of the start of the W&B is also on the New main line level. 

The rest is fairly straightforward using the lock up or lock down images on the map. 

4 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I can’t fault that one,

particularly like the idea to drop down Farmers Bridge and then work around to and up the Perry Barr Flight,

I may have slightly expanded upon @Arthur Marshall’s question. It does involve a cruise down the Staffs & Worcs to Stourton but that also means he’ll get to go through Bratch locks.

I think the Stourbridge and Dudley route is far and away the best approach to the core of the BCN. Nothing much to write home about on the B&F and I’m not mad on Wolverhampton locks. The others have their moments but they’re the wrong direction for Arthur.

My wife has met me in various places whilst I've been in the midlands. Travelling from Manchester. The line through Stoke down to Rugeley and Litchfield is handy. Huddlesford Junction, and the Plough Inn is only a twenty minute walk or a £6 Uber ride from Litchfield Trent Valley.

Penkridge is handy if you are on the Staffs and works. last year I went down via the shroppie and we discovered that there is a frequent bus out to Brewood from Penkridge. She then helped me up the twenty one and got a train home from wolverhampton.

On 31/12/2023 at 12:35, Tonka said:

We go there regularly because it is dog friendly. 

The food is home cooked, good quality and fairly basic bar food. However the owner/chef is Chinese and on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays he cooks some excellent Chinese food.

https://www.doganddoublet.co.uk/menus

• Happy 1

I love Brum the real shame is that most of the canal side pubs of which there were many have now gone.
I like the idea of coming up the B&F there is a place to moor as you enter Brum, by the express way, the name of which currently escapes me,  so you don't have to slog to the top in one go. Moor around Old Turn junction, Two excellent pubs,  no food really just butties, The Prince of Wales and the Craven Arms at the other end, both worth seeking out.                              

You must do the loops of the old main line, as a principle of use them or loose them,  does not add significantly to your time. We always use the old main line. so up Smethwick, use the facilities block at the top of the Engine Branch, they are normally working. Then up the Crow, unless you have loads of time when down Spon Lane and along to Brades Hall and up the staircase back onto the old main line and left , then up the Crow to Tittford. Nice boat club at the top. At the pools is the Navigation pub, which did food last time we were there.
Next day Black country Museum a must can be a really enjoyable day.
Next day or two depending on how you found the museum, Down Factory locks and right through Netherton and then up the No.2 line to Hawes basin at Coombes Wood - great group of people there. Problem is if the club house bar is shut its a walk to any boozer, but B&Q is handy.

There is Oak Hill Station very near the cut just north of Gosty Hill Tunnel.
So before the BCN gets you, I would now make an escape down  Delph Locks and the pubs ?  and then go to Stourbridge 16 town Wharf I love Stourbridge. It is about 15mis walk to Stourbridge town station, worth it, for its uniqueness.

You can then potter back via the Nits & Stuffs.
cheers --

Ian Mac

We popped into Brum in the summer and I was very dissapointed with the Prince of Wales. Its now part of the Black Country chain which is good, but its a shadow of its previous slightly eccentric self. The Black Country chain is just too much of formula and a "1970's Lounge Bar" style for my liking, though the beer is good. The Craven Arms is the same chain but a much better pub.

I still like the Flapper, now amazingly saved from the property developers, its a bit of a music and heavy metal venue but is canalside with a bit of canal history, and sitting out on the balcony looking over the basin on a summers evening is rather good.

I really like the route into Birmingham via the North Stratford and Lapworth locks, so a possible diversion (over part of this route) would be a trip out to Alvechurch to include the tunnel, a very good bit of canal, and a visit to the Weighbridge pub.

Thanks everyone for all the above. I'm going to sit down with maps and have a serious play. Once we get onto the system , of course, anything can happen so I'm going to print out all suggestions as a reference tome. Once we've done this trip, I can always come back for further exploration.