Moving Marina - Tattenhall to Droitwich Spa - best route?

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All

Thinking way ahead here - we will be moving down from Tattenhall to Droitwich Spa marina end of March/early April. Canalplan guided me entirely on canals - i was surprised as thought it would use the Severn, but this got me thinking.... why?  

Canalplans route is 87 miles/104 locks/49hrs using canals only... other route is 91 miles/91 locks/49hrs using severn.... so, is there a logical reason for the canal only route, maybe in case of flood etc?  which would you do/recommend?

rec2.PNG

rec1.PNG

Have you got Canalplan set to not take you on rivers?

As there is little difference in time or distance, peace of mind would suggest sticking to the canals, if you want to cruise the River Severn, plan a trip from and back to your new base.

20 minutes ago, Tonka said:

going via Stourbridge and the Black Delph is recommended

What went wrong at Tattenhall ? it seems like only yesterday that you went there

nothing, lovely marina but we've now done everything we wanted to do and now need the boat closer some older relatives... :)

Funnily enough whenever we plan the shroppie from our mooring in Droitwich canalplan always sends us via the Severn /S&W. But we always go via Tardebigge / Brum / Wolverhampton, partly cos we like Brum and partly cos we think it's faster that way.

In reality I think there's little in it, maybe an hour or 2 at best.

7 hours ago, Kendorr said:

Have you got Canalplan set to not take you on rivers?

As there is little difference in time or distance, peace of mind would suggest sticking to the canals, if you want to cruise the River Severn, plan a trip from and back to your new base.

The default settings (all regular navigation routes are neutral preference)  take you via the canal and avoid the river

Canal

This is a trip of 87 miles, 7½ furlongs and 104 locks from Tattenhall Marina to Droitwich Spa Marina.

This will take 49 hours and 23 minutes which is 7 days, 23 minutes at 7 hours per day.

River

This is a trip of 91 miles, 2¾ furlongs and 83 locks from Tattenhall Marina to Droitwich Spa Marina.

This will take 49 hours and 7 minutes which is 7 days, 7 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Changing between Preferred Route and Quickest route make no difference.

If you up the preference for rivers it takes you via the river.

So I suspect its just down to rounding errors in the internal calculations

It is a bit of a weird one, you trade 4 less miles for 21 more locks, and get the same time.  River locks will be a longer time and the additional canal lock will be in a flight so lowest time, but even then the speed on the river would be greater than narrow canal, which goes against the locks taking longer on the river.

Just in the lock count the river route is going to be easier, and then with the canal route you have the non tangible fact that Tardebigge is just too many locks with no opportunity to take a break!

You can stop between most pounds on Tardebigge for a break? It’s not usually busy. People are known to stop in a lock to make a brew as long as crew members keep a watch out. Some locks you can see up and down for a few. 

Generally Tardebigge to Droitwitch marina with a crew should be ok to do in a day. 

The lock difference is presumably because you have to ascend into Birmingham to get to Tardebigge, plus some of the S&W are very deep ? 

if you have spare time via the Severn you could always carry on into Worcester. The cathedral and surroundings from the river is among the best places on the network IMHO. If you have spare time from Tardebigge you can just do more locks and turn around though you could meander along the old main line into Bham 

It’s not an easy choice as they are both lovely routes. 

Edited by Stroudwater1

When we moored at Saul junction I tended to go up to Stourport if heading for the Shroppie and Worcester or Droitwich if heading elsewhere.  Never really looked at the timings as didn't feel it made much difference but always felt going up Tardebigge and down Wolverhampton was a lot of extra work 

55 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

You can stop between most pounds on Tardebigge for a break? It’s not usually busy. People are known to stop in a lock to make a brew as long as crew members keep a watch out. Some locks you can see up and down for a few. 

Generally Tardebigge to Droitwitch marina with a crew should be ok to do in a day. 

The lock difference is presumably because you have to ascend into Birmingham to get to Tardebigge, plus some of the S&W are very deep ? 

if you have spare time via the Severn you could always carry on into Worcester. The cathedral and surroundings from the river is among the best places on the network IMHO. If you have spare time from Tardebigge you can just do more locks and turn around though you could meander along the old main line into Bham 

It’s not an easy choice as they are both lovely routes. 

Or if you've come down Tardebigge and have spare time carry on down into Worcester, sight see and then go up the river and up the Droitwich

Perhaps another way to look at it is to consider is your ongoing plans?

If you are more likely to be heading up the W&B to the BCN and beyond southwards via Farmers Bridge  or to the Avon  for your future cruises then the  S&W is maybe the route to go this time.

If you will be doing a fair bit of early Spring late Autumn cruising then overall you are best to do the S&W this time as the Severn seems to be in flood increasingly often. 
If you are intending to use the S&W to get onto the BCN/ Shroppie or Northern parts  of the T&M in future go via the BCN this time. 

• Greenie 1

Are you planning on making the trip in one go, or in a series of hops? If hops, are you going for towpath mooring in between (weekending) or are you going for more formal breaks en-route, e.g. stopping for a month at a marina? The plan has quite a bearing on which routes will work best.

Alec

17 hours ago, agg221 said:

Are you planning on making the trip in one go, or in a series of hops? If hops, are you going for towpath mooring in between (weekending) or are you going for more formal breaks en-route, e.g. stopping for a month at a marina? The plan has quite a bearing on which routes will work best.

Alec

all in one go.. :)

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

all in one go.. :)

In that case I think I would go straight down the SU and then check the weather. If set fair then down the S&W and the Severn; if not then up the 21 and through Birmingham (another vote for the old main line as it is more interesting and not really slower). If you have some time in hand then there is always the Black Country Museum en-route.

If planning on the Severn, I would re-check the weather when nearing the Stourbridge as it would still be better to divert that way than to get stuck at Stourport. If the weather is still fine at that point then you will get through before any level changes take effect.

Opinion is based on the experience of having twice had to alter routes due to sudden changes on the Severn. Mind you, having once done Tardebigge in absolutely torrential rain I am not sure that was much better!

Alec

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

Well we're a week away and I'm keeping a close eye on the Severn water levels. At present its not closed but give caution (yellow). When like this is it generally OK to continue or best only for the very confident and experienced?  Also until end of March its closed two days a week and you need to book locks - we'll get there early April - what is the normal procedure on the Severn locks between Stourport and Droitwich outside of Winter closure... do you honk?? :)

image.png.2991156df922ef393ad5fb445f24bac2.png

55 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Well we're a week away and I'm keeping a close eye on the Severn water levels. At present its not closed but give caution (yellow). When like this is it generally OK to continue or best only for the very confident and experienced?  Also until end of March its closed two days a week and you need to book locks - we'll get there early April - what is the normal procedure on the Severn locks between Stourport and Droitwich outside of Winter closure... do you honk?? :)

image.png.2991156df922ef393ad5fb445f24bac2.png

Severn locks have lights and the lock keeper will see you approach. You’ll get a flashing red light as they prepare the lock. They will also signal which side of the lock they wish you to be.

• Greenie 2

55 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

what is the normal procedure on the Severn locks between Stourport and Droitwich outside of Winter closure... do you honk?? :)

In my experience, if you arrive during manned hours the lock keeper will see you approaching, and if there are no boats using the lock he/she will start opening the gates or turning the lock before you arrive. If the traffic lights go green you can just motor straight into the lock, otherwise its usually easier just to hang around in midstream (current/flow/proximity of weir permitting) for a few minutes while the lock is readied.

I can only recall one occasion when we actually had to moor up and go and find the keeper to see what was happening.

• Greenie 1

I have phoned the locker keeper at Upper Lode when sat there waiting and nothing happening, he hadn't spotted me entering the lock cutting so was unaware I was there.

I also had a problem raising Upper Lode a couple of years ago, called on VHF, no response, called on telephone, no response.  As we were going down and there is a pontoon, moored up and my wife walked to the lock, and eventually found the lock keeper, I think he was fixing his car or something!

Table of lock phone numbers is available here -- the landline numbers match those I've used, but I haven't tried the mobiles.

https://www.saulboatclub.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Contact-Numbers-Table-2024-new.pdf

Calling them a few minutes in advance isn't necessary (except Gloucester, not applicable to this thread) but can save a bit of hanging about.

Yellow boards on the Severn weren't that bad in my limited experience - keep an eye out for floating or wedged debris, moor facing upstream and allow a lot of sideways drift when turning.