Moving Marina - Tattenhall to Droitwich Spa - best route?

robtheplod

Featured Posts

On 23/03/2024 at 12:29, robtheplod said:

Well we're a week away and I'm keeping a close eye on the Severn water levels. At present its not closed but give caution (yellow). 

Looking at this week's forecast I reckon it'll be back on reds by the end of the week.

At least they've finished the dredging on the Droitwich now, so if the Severn is passable you've got a couple of options for the last bit.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, gatekrash said:

Looking at this week's forecast I reckon it'll be back on reds by the end of the week.

At least they've finished the dredging on the Droitwich now, so if the Severn is passable you've got a couple of options for the last bit.

Its all still very wet round here - and things are still looking borderline on the CRT Water level page.

Just had a stoppage notice for part of the Droitwich and the Severn below Upper Lode, hopefully won't close above Worcester and you will be ok.

• Greenie 1

The Body Brook and Salwarpe were fairly well up when we drove up to the boat today, Droitwich canal shut where it joins it and you'd not get through the M5 tunnel at the moment.

We're going out and turning left tomorrow heading for Brum direction and not sure where afterwards, forecast for the next few days is ok then going downhill from Monday.

Might pass you inbound 👍

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, gatekrash said:

The Body Brook and Salwarpe were fairly well up when we drove up to the boat today, Droitwich canal shut where it joins it and you'd not get through the M5 tunnel at the moment.

We're going out and turning left tomorrow heading for Brum direction and not sure where afterwards, forecast for the next few days is ok then going downhill from Monday.

Might pass you inbound 👍

This is looking more like we'll be coming from Brum!  I'll keep an eye out!!

at least we'll have the Rivers to do in the better weather...

9 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

This is looking more like we'll be coming from Brum!  I'll keep an eye out!!

at least we'll have the Rivers to do in the better weather...

Having been based where you're going for several years, I'd be surprised if you end up feeling short-changed on river time! You're well placed for the nicest bit of the navigable Severn - up to or back from Stourport and the Staffs and Worcester was always a favourite, even in the winter opening hours. Still is actually, although we start from the Shroppie now. Mind you, we always enjoy Brum too. Nice trip you're on really, eh! :D

• Greenie 1

We're now at Norbury Junction and getting close to where we need to make a decision on the route..... the Severn seems to be improving and Droitwich now open so would it be best for me to confirm things by calling the lock keepers?

We're at Penkridge on the way back home, probably going back via Tipton and the old main line.

Top end of the Severn is on yellows, falling and although there's rain in the forecast it's not looking torrential, so I reckon you'll be ok. 

If you head down the S&W and it goes back on to reds you can always turn left up through Stourton and through Delph, the Stourbridge is a really nice canal anyway.

5 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Good to catch you the other day. Brum’s still quiet. They’ve saved you a space. 

👍. Yeah, we'll probably be back on Saturday night if you're still hiding somewhere. Short day tomorrow, probably only going down to Coven, then a long run in to Tipton on Friday, off to Mad O'Rourkes for a faggot pie, then back to Brum Saturday. Mighty go via Titford if the weather's Ok.

11 minutes ago, Lady M said:

Isn't there a stoppage on the Stourbridge?

Yep you're right, forgot about that, I'd mentally logged it as being open after the winter stoppage and forgot they'd extended it.

10 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

👍. Yeah, we'll probably be back on Saturday night if you're still hiding somewhere. Short day tomorrow, probably only going down to Coven, then a long run in to Tipton on Friday, off to Mad O'Rourkes for a faggot pie, then back to Brum Saturday. Mighty go via Titford if the weather's Ok.

Nah, I’m off tomorrow,

I need decent weather to trade so may as well do me travels while the weathers rubbish. 
mmm faggot pie 🥧, 🤤 

if you go Prince of Wales in Brum they now do cheese and onion cobs with Black Pudding

8 hours ago, robtheplod said:

We're now at Norbury Junction and getting close to where we need to make a decision on the route..... the Severn seems to be improving and Droitwich now open so would it be best for me to confirm things by calling the lock keepers?

If you do go down the Severn, I'd chose to carry on to Worcester and up the B&W to Hanbury Junction. The Droitwich Barge Canal is ok, and the restoration effort is to be hugely applauded, but it's a long way and the locks can be a bit heavy going, so you wouldn't want to discover you can't get through the M5 culvert and have to double back to the Severn. The first time you tackle the culvert, do it from the Hanbury end when you can eyeball the level boards and it's not so far to go back if the water is up a bit and your air draught is too high.

now moored in gas street... by eck its a tad windy!

once again a forum member chatted whilst passing at brum for me to totally ignore them - my wife caught they are a forum member and thats it..... if it was you im so sorry!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

now moored in gas street... by eck its a tad windy!

once again a forum member chatted whilst passing at brum for me to totally ignore them - my wife caught they are a forum member and thats it..... if it was you im so sorry!!!!!!

Wasn’t me this time :D 

• Haha 1

I've met a few people from the forum who have introduced themselves, usually when passing through locks. The problem is that the noise level on the boat is much higher than on the towpath, even immediately adjacent to it, so people assume I can hear them but unfortunately I can't!

Alec