Is a fat free Friar a revolutionary

Mangina

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, cuthound said:

It's marketing bolleax. They are simply mini fan ovens.

Fair enough but if mine broke I'd be straight out getting a new one for home, cooking for one.

You can get 12 volt ones but I've no option on them (yet) but I'm tempted to get one for the boat.

K

10 hours ago, kevinl said:

Fair enough but if mine broke I'd be straight out getting a new one for home, cooking for one.

You can get 12 volt ones but I've no option on them (yet) but I'm tempted to get one for the boat.

K

I agree, we have had one for a few months now and it has virtually made our main oven redundant. However they are not fryers of any description.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

I was always pretty cynical about them, especially the "fryer" bit.

However since acquiring one last week I've certainly changed my mind about them.  It has definitely saved having our main oven on for just a few items.  

13 hours ago, kevinl said:

K

What wattage are the 12 volt ones, the small 240v ones are 800Watts so heading towards 75Amps it would need some heavy wiring 

Edited by ditchcrawler

On 11/12/2023 at 12:08, Machpoint005 said:

Yeah, and radiators don't radiate, they convect.

They do both actually. All things above zero K radiate. The higher the temp the more radiation. 

I think this is how those infra-red pointy thermometers can work out the temp without touching the target.

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The clue is in the name.

Except that most of the heat from domestic radiators gets into the room by convection (about 80%), not radiation (about 20%)... 😉

https://www.bestheating.com/info/how-does-a-radiator-heat-the-room/

Edited by IanD

"He called it a “hot box” "

I used to use this nickname for another human but now it is relagated to being a nickname for the fire.

It would rather depend on where the radiator is positioned if the aim is to calculate how much heat is radiated.

I suspect the claim in the link may be a typical household radiator.

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

Except that most of the heat from domestic radiators gets into the room by convection (about 80%), not radiation (about 20%)... 😉

So you agree with the unqualified assertion that "radiators don't radiate"? 

Or disagree? 

14 hours ago, kevinl said:

K

We liked our Ninja so much we bought a smaller Cosori  for the caravan. Saves on gas and means we can cook using the electricity we have paid for which is normally included in the pitch fees, at least up to now anyway.

If either one broke and couldn't be repaired it would definitely be replaced immediately. No question.

We have two air fryers, a larger one in the house and a smaller one now relegated to the motorhome. Great when we're plugged in to the mains on a site.

Whilst they don't fry, they do cook exceedingly well using a fraction of the electricity an oven uses. I really don't care what they're called, they're very handy.

• Greenie 2

Just now, manxmike said:

Whilst they don't fry, they do cook exceedingly well using a fraction of the electricity an oven uses.

The fraction in the case of mine, being half. 

Yes I have spent far longer than sensible, testing and comparing the energy consumption of mine with my full sized oven. 

Mind you, the oven on my boat uses damn-all electricity. 

On 08/12/2023 at 12:44, Ken X said:

At least they were sensible about it.

My brother, who is a freelance engineer, came a cropper with the Americans when he worked on a contract for Boeing.

Being a bit of a wag he began to insert Boing into emails rather than Boeing.  This went on for some time until he got a very snotty email from Boeing's legal department demanding that he desist from using Boing instead of Boeing or retribution would follow.

He framed the letter and hung it on his office wall.

Did stop doing it though.🙂

Mile high club!

12 hours ago, Peanut said:

Or flat(ish) plate heat exchangers, where the air being fluid, takes away ~80% of the heat by convection.

Build me a log burner pls?

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I still havent found a 12 volt one 

You could always buy a 12 volt hair dryer and try exchanging it with a budding trader Gumtree or Craig's list possibly Apollo duck

?

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes I have spent far longer than sensible, testing and comparing the energy consumption of mine with my full sized oven. 

Mr.Kipling I presume?

8 hours ago, MtB said:

A massive TV may compensate?

13 hours ago, MtB said:

Or disagree? 

Ask the people who used them on ground heat source  systems instead of underfloor heating and they'll probably agree with you!

13 hours ago, MtB said:

Or disagree? 

Ask the people who used them on ground heat source  systems instead of underfloor heating and they'll probably agree with you!

On 07/12/2023 at 20:41, ditchcrawler said:

But people do and they wouldn't dream of calling someone with a club foot, hop along.

I should think not it'd probably sink them especially not knowing their PI55 from their ip55 rating?

14 hours ago, MtB said:

Or disagree? 

On 07/12/2023 at 08:02, rusty69 said:

Peasants. We had a microwave in early 80s. It was American. Made by Tappan iirc

15 hours ago, magnetman said:

The clue is in the name.

Watch your Gauss readings or you may lose your toroidal field!

On 10/12/2023 at 18:55, kevinl said:

Fry  me another tucker, or should that be friar me another? Whichever

😆 Lol

21 minutes ago, Ianws said:

@Mangina is this poster a Bot as initially suggested in their other post. This second topic has got to 3 pages without a similar question. The recent replies either suggest a bot or an interesting human response pattern.

Mangina aside, I'd suggest AI devices don't spontaneously decide to visit forums and start posting. A human bean points them in that direction and sends them off under instruction to write a post or three while they observe, record the results of their device and try to make it better at fooling the forum population. If the owner of the device sees his AI get outed, he or she may well choose to write a post or two, obviously human, to make the forum members doubt their initial judgement. 

• Greenie 1