Gas pipe size

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

NO, but if it was a Clapham Omnibus ticket it might suggest that you are the hypothetical "ordinary & reasonable man" that can make a decision.

Ok. Chineham (near Basingstoke) is were the dog kennel used to be. In fact it still is! 

1 minute ago, truckcab79 said:

And you wonder why newbies don’t stick around.  Another thread that could have been useful to someone now full of drivel. 

Keep gate-keeping chaps and then wonder why ‘your’ forum has nobody on it. 🙄

Hey, its not our fault, you said you had done with this thread and therefore would not read it anymore.

Go away, we are enjoying ourselves.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

And you wonder why newbies don’t stick around.  Another thread that could have been useful to someone now full of drivel. 

Keep gate-keeping chaps and then wonder why ‘your’ forum has nobody on it. 🙄

You seem to have a problem finding your way - hope this helps ................

Way Out.png

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well the thread was certainly useful to me, and I think I said so. I suspect others may find it of some value too, though clearly not the OP.

Me too up to a point. But it gets all silly when people refuse to accept that they are misinformed.  

We now all know that there is no BSS minimum wall thickness despite claims to the contrary, but have suggested that best practice is to use 1.0mm as I am doing.  

We’ll  now all distract from our errors with 10 pages of nonsense rather than going ‘fair enough. I was wrong’. 😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

plane.jpg

And yet still not grown up enough to accept you were misinformed. Very odd. 

we can’t all be right all the time A de E. it’s no

big deal to learn something new.  I do it all the time.  

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well the thread was certainly useful to me, and I think I said so. I suspect others may find it of some value too, though clearly not the OP.

You did. And so did I. No issue with that. We can all learn every day. No shame in it.  

At the risk of repeating myself I’ll leave this now.  You’re clearly not grown up enough to just accept you were wrong and to be honest  it’s all becoming a bigger issue than it really needs to be, and distracting even more from from whatever use this thread once was.  

All the best to you Alan.  

6 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Not at all. I don’t wish ill will on anyone. Life’s too short for that.  Some people I don’t understand though. 

Don't be put off by all the crack from this thread. You need a thick skin. 0.7mm is OK but 1.0 mm is a lot better 👍

2 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Don't be put off by all the crack from this thread. You need a thick skin. 0.7mm is OK but 1.0 mm is a lot better 👍

Cheers. 

Take more than that to put me off though   😂😂😂. 1mm is what I’ve already ordered and am using as stated earlier.  

👍

Cheers. 

Take more than that to put me off though   😂😂😂. 1mm is what I’ve already ordered and am using as stated earlier.  

👍

5mm wall thickness would be safer...

Alec

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

You’ve obviously never fitted any if you think 0.1mm makes a difference.  What weight does ‘it seems to me’ hold?  How much plumbing have you done?  

Loads, on a whole fleet of hire boats, including new fit outs. That is fuel, gas, water and black water systems.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Loads, on a whole fleet of hire boats, including new fit outs. That is fuel, gas, water and black water systems.

Over-tighten an olive and see if you can make it leak. Whatever thickness pipe you’ll twist it before you can make the olive leak.  It’s not an issue to be honest and certainly wouldn’t make the difference between selecting between 0.7 and 1.0mm pipe.

Most people trade or otherwise tighten way beyond where they need to on compression fittings. Dismantled plenty where the pipe is very markedly pinched but it doesn’t affect the integrity other than being an absolute ball-ache for the next person to get off particularly if you wanted to reuse the pipe. 

I certainly wouldn’t reuse pipe that had been pinched but first install it makes no odds. 

Edited by truckcab79

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I've had a leak on 8mm copper pipe by overtightening a compression fitting. 

Maybe not on 15,22 or 28 but on the small stuff it does happen. 

I’m not going to dispute what you say because I can’t know but god knows how.  On stuff that thin it’ll look like a corkscrew or you’ll strip the threads long before you get to that point. Most compression fittings just need to be nipped up. Anything more isn’t doing anything.  Only after you’ve done plenty do you realise quite how little they actually need.   Counter-intuitive as you’d assume more is better when tightening stuff.  

I’m not going to dispute what you say because I can’t know but god knows how.  On stuff that thin it’ll look like a corkscrew or you’ll strip the threads long before you get to that point. Most compression fittings just need to be nipped up. Anything more isn’t doing anything.  Only after you’ve done plenty do you realise quite how little they actually need.   Counter-intuitive as you’d assume more is better when tightening stuff.  

Finger or hand tight if larger and a quarter to a half turn with the spanner is the recommended way.