Gas pipe size

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Doesn’t help to say that the BSS is a watered down set of rules. As that’s the only one we’re judged against it’s the one that matters, regardless of your opinion.  It’s like taking my car for an MOT and telling me I need to make sure it’s up to the standard in Sweden because it’s better. It might be but it won’t fail in the UK

The question is.....do you just want to pass a test, or do you want to make sure you and everyone around you is as safe as can be....and do something well.

The BSS currently does NOT have smoke alarms needed to pass its test......so according to your logic, you will not have one 

Think you’re all ignoring the point of the thread to distract from my issue that people are providing information that’s simply wrong and stating it as fact but that appears to be pretty standard on here.  No surprise that the requested proof of some of the statements has never appeared.  🙄

I’ll leave this one and get on with building my boat instead of arguing over incorrect info.  

Have good days all of you. 

Polypropylene rope is best but make sure to get the staple spun type not the split film variety. Some sellers may misrepresent the product. 

Staple is hairy. Split film is shiny. 

The MBS is significantly different between the products. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Think you’re all ignoring the point of the thread to distract from my issue that people are providing information that’s simply wrong and stating it as fact but that appears to be pretty standard on here.  No surprise that the requested proof of some of the statements has never appeared.  🙄

I’ll leave this one and get on with building my boat instead of arguing over incorrect info.  

Have good days all of you. 

Its a well-trodden path.

Poster asks question

Multiple people give same answer

Poster agues the answers are wrong

Multiple people explain the reasoning

Poster gets annoyed and stomps off in a strop

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its a well-trodden path.

Poster asks question

Poster is given a few pointers about things not even considered.

Poster slags off forum members.

Poster suggests facebook is a much better source of information.

Poster continues to ask questions on this forum.

It's the same old story.

• Unimpressed 1
  • Angry 1

When I replumbed my first house in the mid-1970's, copper pipe dimensions were specified by BS 2871. There were three classes, defined in its tables X, Y and Z .

For 10mm pipe,  the wall thicknesses (in mm)  were 0.6, 0.8,  and 0.5 respectively (the tables were not named in order of wall thickness).

That BS was subsequently replaced by EN 1057, and this specifies the following wall thicknesses for 10mm pipe: 0.6, 0.7, 0.8,  and 1.0 mm. 

More info here: 

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/en-1075-copper-tubes-d_2115.html

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

37 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its a well-trodden path.

Poster asks question

Now this is DEFINITELY my last addition to this post 😂 but if you read it through you’ll see that I was suggesting that I’ll-informed replies are not answers and are not useful.  Regardless of topic.  The replies were wrong.  Simple as that. 

Don’t side-track with the usual forum response that because someone has dared question a reply that it’s some huge personal affront to longer-serving members.  

Every days a school-day and I hope that a few on here have learnt that what they thought is fact (and haven’t and can’t back up) is actually incorrect and they’ll give more informed responses in future.  That’s good for everyone surely.  

46 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its a well-trodden path.

Poster asks question

41 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Poster is given a few pointers about things not even considered.

Poster slags off forum members.

Poster suggests facebook is a much better source of information.

Poster continues to ask questions on this forum.

It's the same old story.

Asking questions should never be an issue.  Taking offence at someone questioning the incorrect response should be.  

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I do hope you are going to have extra wide doors on your boat.  Very sad that a recent joiner should behave in this way, he showed such promise at one time.

I didn't know he was a joiner. Probably wont have many woodworking questions then.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

When I replumbed my first house in the mid-1970's, copper pipe dimensions were specified by BS 2871. There were three classes, defined in its tables X, Y and Z .

More pertinently IIRC, the three classes were hardened to different degrees. From memory one was thick-wall soft copper i.e. hand-bendable, one was "half-hard" so was rigid but could be bent in a tube bender, and the last was "thin-wall hard" and would snap if you tried to bend it. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I don't believe you 

Your answer is wrong. I asked a question but I know the answer already so I'm going to throw my toys because nobody agrees with me

No, hang on, I'm confused now...

Its Gas Safe Register now, and has been since about 2005 IIRC. 

• Haha 1

Yes but someone on an omnibus has already made a questionable decision by opting for this particular mode of transport. 

Some may say it is a poor decision. 

Perhaps the 'ordinary and reasonable man on a bike' would be more inn keeping with modern values around decarbonisation.