How many lights / lumens

truckcab79

Featured Posts

Any pointers on number of lights required. 

Planning our interior and had originally thought I’d have a pair of spots every metre. One either side of the side of boat.  Now thinking that’s probably overkill and 4 through the middle probably plenty. Along with smaller task lighting near bed and kitchen.   

Was thinking about something like this. 

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/dimatec-recessed-led-touch-downlight-nickel-warm-white.html

Ignoring shower and toilet the overall interior is only 6.6m end to end.   

Maybe one every metre centrally or is that too much / too little?

Edited by truckcab79

We have overhead lights a bit closer than a metre on both sides. However we rarely use them except when eating or in the kitchen area or when I’ve lost something. Overhead lights are harsh, in your face and generally not very conducive to cosiness and relaxation.

We also have LED tape running under the gunnels so the actual light source is not visible, but they illuminate the boat in a pleasant and cosy way. And as a bonus, they are RGB strips so we can have whatever colour that suits the mood (normally a warm yellow-orange in winter). And more bonus - it is dirt cheap.

We see lots of boats with harsh “in your face” overhead lighting, often cold white. Why do people do that? You don’t need to!

I’d also mention that the touch on and off thing seems a bit faffy, surely it would be easier to have light switches than to have to touch every light? And you could be slightly outside the specified voltage range - maximum 14v whereas with your engine alternator probably puts out 14.4v

Edited by nicknorman

30 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We have overhead lights a bit closer than a metre on both sides. However we rarely use them except when eating or in the kitchen area or when I’ve lost something. Overhead lights are harsh, in your face and generally not very conducive to cosiness and relaxation.

We also have LED tape running under the gunnels so the actual light source is not visible, but they illuminate the boat in a pleasant and cosy way. And as a bonus, they are RGB strips so we can have whatever colour that suits the mood (normally a warm yellow-orange in winter). And more bonus - it is dirt cheap.

We see lots of boats with harsh “in your face” overhead lighting, often cold white. Why do people do that? You don’t need to!

I’d also mention that the touch on and off thing seems a bit faffy, surely it would be easier to have light switches than to have to touch every light? And you could be slightly outside the specified voltage range - maximum 14v whereas with your engine alternator probably puts out 14.4v

Many thanks. 

Linked to the touch ones in error.  Meant to be same ones but in ‘non-touch’ version.  Would be operated via switches. Probably in two halves ie bow half and stern half, then a couple of small task lights near bed for reading maybe.  Nothing fancy.  Any additional lighting can then be via lamps if we decide we need more (or less).  

What @nicknorman said. I rarely use the downlighters in the living area and bedroom, relying on a few low level and reading lights there for the cosiness. Ceiling downlighters in the kitchen and bathroom area. Kitchen pairs spaced 2m apart, bathroom ones at 1m, but these are old (15 years) LED modules, with only five surface mount LED's a piece. No idea what the lumens are, but tiny compared with modern "vaporise a cow at 20 paces" LED lights.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What @nicknorman said. I rarely use the downlighters in the living area and bedroom, relying on a few low level and reading lights there for the cosiness. Ceiling downlighters in the kitchen and bathroom area. Kitchen pairs spaced 2m apart, bathroom ones at 1m, but these are old (15 years) LED modules, with only five surface mount LED's a piece. No idea what the lumens are, but tiny compared with modern "vaporise a cow at 20 paces" LED lights.

Mine's the same as this. Each downlighter has a 1watt LED by Bedazzled - I'd suggest you wouldn't want a higher wattage lamp than that. I also have wall mounted reading spot lights in the saloon and bedroom, also 1 watt apiece which, again, is plenty. 

• Greenie 1

100 lumens per square meter is OK for sitting in, but not really bright enough for reading.

300 lumens per sq m is  an OK level for a low tech workshop. 

500 Lm/sq m is a high precision workshop light level.

Getting from Lumens at the lamp to Lumens per Square meter at a surface requires some understanding of how the light will spread out and travel ( apart from bloody quickly)  and what the viewing angle is.  The manufacturers of light fittings usually publish this information, but fitting an LEd lamp may change it.

N

• Greenie 1

I like old fashioned lights on my boats with filament bulbs..

Davey Jelly Mould

IMG_20231102_181921.thumb.jpg.0259550630136c7c41b9e66706dd6fc3.jpg

Railway carriage ? White Bakelite lamp

IMG_20231102_181926_1.thumb.jpg.c2bc3b4e4cc85986908129fcc2242096.jpg

Does not result in a massively lit up cabin but I like the ambiance. Also recessed strip lights are quite good. 

The coloured lights are £3 USB driven multicolour 'rice wire LED' things. 5 metre. 

On eBay I found some really nice teak wood lamps similar to the second one with their own switch. Filament bulbs. It was impressive that someone would have made a whole lamp unit out of teak. The inside of the shade has a spun aluminium sleeve for heat protection. 

The teak ones are on the other boat. 

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

We've got these: https://bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/product/cab8-brass/ mounted as recessed pairs every 2 m or so, each pair switched. Plenty of light, we seldom have more than half of them on.

Nice.  Every two metres is probably fine but I think I’ll do every metre. Would rather have them and not use them. Nice lights those.  Replaceable bulbs too. 👍

34 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I like old fashioned lights on my boats with filament bulbs..

Davey Jelly Mould

IMG_20231102_181921.thumb.jpg.0259550630136c7c41b9e66706dd6fc3.jpg

Railway carriage ? White Bakelite lamp

IMG_20231102_181926_1.thumb.jpg.c2bc3b4e4cc85986908129fcc2242096.jpg

Does not result in a massively lit up cabin but I like the ambiance. Also recessed strip lights are quite good. 

The coloured lights are £3 USB driven multicolour 'rice wire LED' things. 5 metre. 

On eBay I found some really nice teak wood lamps similar to the second one with their own switch. Filament bulbs. It was impressive that someone would have made a whole lamp unit out of teak. The inside of the shade has a spun aluminium sleeve for heat protection. 

The teak ones are on the other boat. 

Very nice.  Our home is all mid-century furniture and quite dark and the boat will hopefully have a similar feel.  Dark floor.  Dark blue kitchen with dark oak worktops and quite muted but modern (and lighter) colours.  Not very trad narrowboat but very simple. I don’t mind ceiling lights being quite functional and like others have said, use lamps and small side-lights the majority of the time.