Worcester & Birmingham @ Shortwood tunnel

frangar

Featured Posts

As one of the boats stuck and very keen to get south of this stoppage (cannot go is Severn) I have just called CaRT and the regional team apologise for not adding an update. They are still devising a plan but say that it is a large slippage (in their terms) and will take several weeks before navigation is restored. At least they should now remember to update the notice!

Edited by Mike Todd

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

As one of the boats stuck and very keen to get south of this stoppage (cannot go is Severn) I have just called CaRT and the regional team apologise for not adding an update. They are still devising a plan but say that it is a large slippage (in their terms) and will take several weeks before navigation is restored. At least they should now remember to update the notice!

And they just sent out an update. Still investigating, no further info for now.

45 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But according to their stoppage it is just "vegetation " so you should be able to clear that easily

See my picture above!! 

48 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’m surprised that this has only just appeared on here, the breach occurred towards the end of last week following heavy rainfall. 

I posted the pics on Saturday….we came past

the landslide location 2 days before it happened…. Now the right side for once!! 

The update came today then... Likely to be shut for as long as 2 months.

Just in time to run into the winter closure of Tardebigge for gate replacements, meaning the W&B will have been closed for nearly 5 months, although we might get a couple of weeks freedom before Christmas...

And there I was thinking it was just you lot "up North" that got stuck 😀

15 hours ago, gatekrash said:

The update came today then... Likely to be shut for as long as 2 months.

Just in time to run into the winter closure of Tardebigge for gate replacements, meaning the W&B will have been closed for nearly 5 months, although we might get a couple of weeks freedom before Christmas...

And there I was thinking it was just you lot "up North" that got stuck 😀

At least you are in the marina. We are just the wrong side!

• Sad 1

Droitwich Marina has three approaches by canal, from Hawford, from Tardebigge and from Worcester. Each of these has a long stoppage planned from the start of January! Let's hope that the sort-of promised window of opportunity comes to fruition and that the repair does not over run.

Droitwich Marina has three approaches by canal, from Hawford, from Tardebigge and from Worcester. Each of these has a long stoppage planned from the start of January! Let's hope that the sort-of promised window of opportunity comes to fruition and that the repair does not over run.

We've already emailed C&RT once about that and been told 'tough luck' (albeit in polite terms) ! 

Best bet is to hope the Severn goes back onto greens for a bit, but it's not looking good on the long range for the next week or so.

One of the hire boats from the marina is stuck the wrong side of it so they've been having to run it out of Alvechurch for the last couple of weeks. Not sure what they're going to do if they can't get the boat back before march next year.

51 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

One of the hire boats from the marina is stuck the wrong side of it so they've been having to run it out of Alvechurch for the last couple of weeks. Not sure what they're going to do if they can't get the boat back before march next year.

Crane and truck?

Edited by David Mack

We once had to run quite a few Alvechurch hire boats down the Severn in flood to move boats back from Stourport as they were trapped there by closures.  With BW permission to use the Severn locks we flew down to Worcester with one boat almost missing the canal entrance as he got caught in the flow trying to turn in.

On 04/11/2023 at 19:54, Rob-M said:

We once had to run quite a few Alvechurch hire boats down the Severn in flood to move boats back from Stourport as they were trapped there by closures.  With BW permission to use the Severn locks we flew down to Worcester with one boat almost missing the canal entrance as he got caught in the flow trying to turn in.

Hate to think what might have happened if it had been a less experienced boater or the flow had just been a tad stronger! 

I'm left a bit confused: the photos at the start of this thread show a slip on the left side (facing the portal) where the footpath coms down. On the drone pix it seems to be a slip on the opposite side. Anyone know more?

We understood from Alvechurch that the method being used is to take the spoil in skips through the tunnel to be lifted out and emptied at the marina. They were looking forward to a good few lifts - they had already lifted in the floating work boats.

The drone pix seem to suggest that they already have a narrow channel cleared.

54 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Is that an Admiral class work boat there?

It's a Rothern Group workboat which started off as a River Class butty.

Edited by IanM

37 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I'm left a bit confused: the photos at the start of this thread show a slip on the left side (facing the portal) where the footpath coms down. On the drone pix it seems to be a slip on the opposite side. Anyone know more?

We understood from Alvechurch that the method being used is to take the spoil in skips through the tunnel to be lifted out and emptied at the marina. They were looking forward to a good few lifts - they had already lifted in the floating work boats.

Fairly sure the drone pic is flipped as the towpath in on the “wrong” side. 

23 minutes ago, frangar said:

Fairly sure the drone pic is flipped as the towpath in on the “wrong” side. 

Don't think so. Shortwood is effectively a turnover bridge so the towpath is on the left when looking at either tunnel portal.

I'm assuming the boats are working through the affected area moving away from the tunnel portal and the worst affected bit is at the centre bottom left of the picture. The material to the right hand side could have been removed from the centre of the channel; not least so the boats can get access. Or indeed to maintain water supplies, which would also have the dual effect of providing drainage.

13 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Don't think so. Shortwood is effectively a turnover bridge so the towpath is on the left when looking at either tunnel portal.

I'm assuming the boats are working through the affected area moving away from the tunnel portal and the worst affected bit is at the centre bottom left of the picture. The material to the right hand side could have been removed from the centre of the channel; not least so the boats can get access. Or indeed to maintain water supplies, which would also have the dual effect of providing drainage.

Well one picture is flipped and the towpath is on the right as you come out of the southern portal heading south.