Stourport Ring from Dunhampstead

LadyRaven

Featured Posts

Good afternoon all,

we have a weeks hire in June next year, from Trinity Boats in Dunhampstead.
We are thinking of doing the Stourport Ring - Anticlockwise.

After picking up the boat, head up the loacks at Stoke Prior, overnight at the Queens head, ready for Tardebigge in the morning.

We are two couples, and the fellas like their beer, so any advice on good pubs on the route for Lunch or Dinner would be well received

Rough plan for stops

1 -  Queens Head
2   Alvechurch

3 - Bumblehole/windmill end

4 - Stourbridge  - Samson & Lion Pub
5 - Lock inn at Woverley
6- worcester
7 - Tibberton
8 - Drop the boat back

Does this look do-able? All tweaks gratefully received

Thanks very much

Looks doable. Definitely a boating holiday more than a sightseeing one though.

Personally I'd finish the Stourbridge flight and moor a couple of hundred yards east EDIT west! of Bell's Mill Bridge. It's my favourite mooring spot on that canal - after hours of urban canals, you're suddenly in the countryside and the view is lovely. No pubs handy though so depends on one's priorities! Also gives you a bit more time the next day to look around Kinver which is worth a visit.

Pubs -- the Old Swan (Ma Pardoe's) at Netherton, walking distance from Windmill End. The Camp House below Bevere lock, halfway from Stourport to Worcester. I'm sure more frequently pub-going members will have extra suggestions.

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

Queens Head is a big eating pub, does a very good pint but rather expensive. Go in early and get all your beers in during happy hour 😀. Also does a very good pizza but again expensive, they do a 2 for 1 offer midweek.

Weightbridge at Alvechurch is a good pub.

Its a shame that you can't do a stop in Stourport as thats a good interesting place.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, IanD said:

You might find some useful information (including on pubs!) here, though we went round clockwise... 😉

Thanks, I'll have a read of that. I hadn't considered going clockwise, as we wanted to get tardebigge out of the way first. 😁

I notice you haven’t got Brum as a stop over ?

Why not use the Weighbridge at Alvechurch as a lunchtime stop over and then head in to Brum for the evening. 
Alvechurch to Brum allow 4hrs. 

I stopped over at Samson and Lion this year and liked it. Not a real ale pub but very much a locals pub where I’m sure you’ll be made welcome and have some fun. 

• Greenie 1

The Queen’s Head is an obvious first nights stop but you MUST book if you are eating. There is a bar area and the beer is generally good but it really isn’t a drinking pub.

I’m a fan of the Weighbridge but it’s small so again booking is probably necessary. It’s also only four or five hours cruising from the Queens Head despite what CanalPlan might tell you. You could push on to at least Hopwood or even Kings Norton after Tardebigge locks and then you may be able to get to Merry Hill and pay a visit to the Bull & Bladder, the Batham’s brewery tap the next night.

You will find the Samson & Lion difficult for an overnight stop and the canal facing appearance is not appealing. 

You have a suggestion of going a short distance beyond Wordsley and it is very nice along that stretch, or otherwise head down the arm to Stourbridge basin and you’ll find plenty of pubs in the town including one just outside the basin and I think the Craddock’s brewery tap in the town.

Tibberton is an obvious last night stop but is only a half day from Worcester. You could do Tibberton from Stourport or an overnight on the Severn. There are two pubs in Tibberton. Both appeared to be open last time I drove through the village but they have both had dormant periods in recent years I believe.

@Francis Herne have you managed to stop at the Camp House recently? I haven’t been that way for a while but on my most recent trips it’s been looking more and more difficult to moor, although out of hours you can use Bevere lower lock landing.

The Stourport Ring via Delph is a comfortable weeks cruise overall so you can be flexible. Birmingham city centre and the Black Country museum are places many folk visit on the ring.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

@Francis Herne have you managed to stop at the Camp House recently? I haven’t been that way for a while but on my most recent trips it’s been looking more and more difficult to moor

I was last there in July. I didn't stop but the boat that shared Bevere lock with me did. I also met a hire boat in Droitwich (same week I met you) that had stopped there for lunch after discovering the weird lock times the hard way.

(@LadyRaven - this year Bevere and Lincomb locks have been on alternate times through the day, each open one hour in every three, which needs planning around. Make sure to check if that still applies next summer.)

Droitwich is ok, but there's a lot more to see and do in Worcester in the evening. I found the barge canal hard work but it's probably better with a crew (and not in heavy rain).

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

@Francis Herne have you managed to stop at the Camp House recently? I haven’t been that way for a while but on my most recent trips it’s been looking more and more difficult to moor, although out of hours you can use Bevere lower lock landing.

When we were heading down the Severn we got to Bevere too late to lock through, so overnighted on the upper lock mooring. It isn't far to walk to the Camp House.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

When we were heading down the Severn we got to Bevere too late to lock through, so overnighted on the upper lock mooring. It isn't far to walk to the Camp House.

I deliberately suggested the lower lock landing because it’s a pontoon with mooring cleats whereas from above it involves stopping against a wall and a climb up and down a ladder. Not necessarily a great combination with a trip to the pub.

On 02/10/2023 at 11:21, jonesthenuke said:

Stop at Caunsall on the Staffs and Worcs and go to the Anchor pub. Best cobs ever and at bargain prices. The pub is about 500m from the canal. Stop at the road bridge north of the pub and walk along the road.

Agree. Great cobs and beer to. Its possible to moor much closer, almost due south of the pub just before to narrows and use an excellent path to the pub. Check out a good map or Google maps satellite view.

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2023 at 20:11, jonesthenuke said:

You could do the Droitwich canal as an option?

Another option worth considering is a simple out and back route. If you wanted to avoid Birmingham you'd need to do that. When you turn back, the views are always different. In my opinion rings can be arduous if the weather turns nasty beyond the point of no return.

31 minutes ago, Mike A R Powell said:

Another option worth considering is a simple out and back route. If you wanted to avoid Birmingham you'd need to do that. When you turn back, the views are always different. In my opinion rings can be arduous if the weather turns nasty beyond the point of no return.

Looks like the OP wants to do a ring and Birmingham is a significant part of the attraction of this particular ring.

Wouldn’t the point of no return on a ring also be the same location that constitutes the furthest you could go on an out and back trip? And thus the impact of the weather turning nasty beyond this point is the same whether you’re doing a ring or an out and back?

7 minutes ago, Mike A R Powell said:

Yes, you are right. I thought of this too (after I posted). 

Ring versus out-and-back is a common discussion point.

In the event that the weather is generally poor not being emotionally committed to doing a ring at the outset might be advantageous but for many the ability to see new canal everyday outweighs the disadvantage of committing to a ring.

In this case the Stourport ring isn’t a particularly demanding week in terms of time. It has a couple of lock heavy days though.

4 minutes ago, Mike A R Powell said:

The Stourport Ring was our first narrowboat holiday back in the mid nineties. We didn't enjoy the litter strewn run into Birmingham from Wolverhampton but our one night stay at Gas Street Basin was fun. 

The norm for the Stourport Ring is to go via Delph and Stourbridge locks rather than Wolverhampton.

There’s certainly still some less than salubrious surroundings on either route but Birmingham city centre canals have become more and more gentrified with time. General advice is to plan to moor there. Sheepcote Street rather than Gas Street if possible. It’s quieter.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Sheepcote Street rather than Gas Street if possible. It’s quieter.

Except for the fatal shooting there on Sunday, obvs! 

Even having said that, I agree with the recommendation and will still moor there in future. 

22 hours ago, Mike A R Powell said:

Might try that in future. This year we did the rural bit of the Black Country Ring statring at Autherley Junction to Great Haywood to Fradley to Fazely Return.

That seems as though you may be avoiding Birmingham. If so, that’s a common view that’s probably about 25 years out of date.