Cannabis smoking in marinas

Spinderella

Featured Posts

I certainly agree with legalising drugs but what concerns me more is the way the drugs are provided in this country. People don't seem to be bothered about the children being used to move drugs, the people used as drug mules and all the corruption that goes with it. As long as people can get their drugs they couldn't care less about any unfortunates caught up in the supply chain.

14 hours ago, sueb said:

I certainly agree with legalising drugs but what concerns me more is the way the drugs are provided in this country. People don't seem to be bothered about the children being used to move drugs, the people used as drug mules and all the corruption that goes with it. As long as people can get their drugs they couldn't care less about any unfortunates caught up in the supply chain.

Without wanting to take anything away from a valid point, the same could be said about the supply of clothing and other wearable items, particularly at the cheaper end of the market. 

• Angry 1

8 hours ago, BWM said:

Without wanting to take anything away from a valid point, the same could be said about the supply of clothing and other wearable items, particularly at the cheaper end of the market. 

You are deluded if you think there is the same amount of criminality with the supply of clothing.

12 hours ago, sueb said:

You are deluded if you think there is the same amount of criminality with the supply of clothing.

I think he refers to the slavery conditions under which much of the unfeasibly low priced clothing we buy is produced. 

• Greenie 1

On 02/10/2023 at 21:40, sueb said:

I think that is more part and parcel with legalising the drugs, since doing so removes the supply from the criminals responsible. Whilst those of us who aren't addicted to recreational drugs are concerned with the criminality currently involved, it is probably a big ask to hope that the addicts would be. They are addicted to the product so they don't care where it has come from, bearing in mind that some of the product may well have been passed thought someone else's digestive system, or stored in other bodily orifices, yet they are still happy to inject it into themselves. They even inject it into themselves not knowing exactly what the product contains.

Worth reading on the subject of drug criminalisation and the cosy relationship between drug arrest "figures" and calls for more police funding, is Steve DeAngelo's 2015 book, The Cannabis Manifesto

An extract:
Before it was illegal, ounces of weed sold for less than five bucks. The first ounce I bought - in 1971 - cost me fifteen bucks. After President Reagan declared the War on Drugs, the price went above $100 for the first time. Today, with that war more than thirty years old, and more Americans than ever consuming cannabis, an ounce of top-quality weed costs about $500 in New York.

It adds up to at least $22.5 billion a year. Small American growers and neighborhood dealers see some of that money, but most of it goes into the hands of international cartels and their street-gang allies. Either way, enforcement is overwhelmingly focused on consumers. Almost nine out of ten cannabis arrests are for simple possession, so ordinary citizens pay the bill while professionals add up their profits. Meanwhile, more Americans than ever use cannabis...

• Greenie 1

I am totally in favour of legalising currently illegal drugs but one thing which is potentially interesting is what would actually happen. 

The crims who make all the money are going to still want to make a lot of money so presumably they would move more aggressively into other types of organised crime which are currently sidelined because the drugs get the dough. 

There could be unexpected side effects in other areas of law enforcement. 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I am totally in favour of legalising currently illegal drugs but one thing which is potentially interesting is what would actually happen. 

The crims who make all the money are going to still want to make a lot of money so presumably they would move more aggressively into other types of organised crime which are currently sidelined because the drugs get the dough. 

The only area of organised crime which makes anything close to the amount of money that drugs do is fraud, especially online -- bank-robbing isn't so attractive now so many have closed...

And it's possible that the intelligence levels and skills needed to sell drugs and perpetrate online fraud are rather different... 😉

• Greenie 2

32 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Most criminal 'gangs' are invested in Internet related scams, fraud and so on nowadays - the dark Web being widely used for drug deals that would have been in person years ago. 

I think the removal of the drug black market would have a massive, positive effect on society. It would undermine the 'Roadman' culture, as well as County Lines,  by removing the wealth that enables criminal role-modelling that makes drug-dealing an aspirational career choice. This would have a huge effect on the knife crime and violence which is intrinsic to that culture. 

There might be a shift of some of the criminality into other areas such as extortion, prostitution, but these are less all-pervasive and more easily targeted forms of criminality, and don't have the same profit margins. 

• Greenie 4

This is why my 'conspiracy theory' that some of the profits are filtering in to the people running the country looks less conspiratorial. 

Legalising drugs is the obvious thing to do. We can have a plebiscite about the Brexit nonsense but we can't have a plebiscite about legalising drugs. 

What exactly is going on here? 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

This is why my 'conspiracy theory' that some of the profits are filtering in to the people running the country looks less conspiratorial. 

Legalising drugs is the obvious thing to do. We can have a plebiscite about the Brexit nonsense but we can't have a plebiscite about legalising drugs. 

What exactly is going on here? 

Presumably, if drugs were legalised, users would have to register with their GP in orer to secure a supply.

This wouldn't be a good look for our politicians...

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

Presumably, if drugs were legalised, users would have to register with their GP in orer to secure a supply.

This wouldn't be a good look for our politicians...

Since Rishi wants to ban the smoking of tobacco the prospect of legalising other drugs looks even more remote.

Getting back to the OP's query......

I've read through the T&Cs of the last marina I was in and it doesn't specifically say the use of illegal drugs is not permitted. It does mention any unacceptable behaviour that is detrimental to the comfort of moorers or staff will result in expulsion so I guess it could fall under this rule.

However in my experience they were pretty lax with enforcing the rules....the only one they were hell bent on enforcing was abuse of the bin area. A major investigation was always initiated when someone dumped an old chair or the like there. I suppose that's because it cost them a lot to deal with unsanctioned waste. 

Bins are a huge topic. I've come across areas where locals are very agitated about bins being used by boaters.

Loud music and drugs is fine but don't mess with the bins ! 

There will be some psychology around this and also physical invasion of territory. 

On 04/10/2023 at 10:55, BWM said:

Most criminal 'gangs' are invested in Internet related scams, fraud and so on nowadays - the dark Web being widely used for drug deals that would have been in person years ago. 

No, there are drug markets all over the online.  Some even on the light web if you know where to look.  Snapchat, Facebook, Telegram, KiK, instagram to name a few of the social media angles- there are literally millions of places with menus of the products available and delivery schemes. Hell, I've even seen some with loyalty bonus schemes. 

I could quite easily buy pretty much any drug i want and have it delivered to my door within 48 hours.  If anyone thinks, even a small bit, that the police have a handle on this then alas they are very wrong.  Has nobody stopped to wonder how the royal mail are still going... Its completely out of control in just about every way it could be.

In answer to the OP. I'd be happy its only cannabis being smoked.  I get for some its an odd smell, but then so was Hai karate. 

Edited by Creaking Gate
  • Happy 1

18 minutes ago, Creaking Gate said:

In answer to the OP. I'd be happy its only cannabis being smoked.  I get for some its an odd smell, but then so was Hai karate. 

The smell can make me feel sick nowadays for some reason, I realise it's just the way it is now and will avoid any place that smells of weed

36 minutes ago, Creaking Gate said:

No, there are drug markets all over the online.  Some even on the light web if you know where to look.  Snapchat, Facebook, Telegram, KiK, instagram to name a few of the social media angles- there are literally millions of places with menus of the products available and delivery schemes. Hell, I've even seen some with loyalty bonus schemes. 

I could quite easily buy pretty much any drug i want and have it delivered to my door within 48 hours.  If anyone thinks, even a small bit, that the police have a handle on this then alas they are very wrong.  Has nobody stopped to wonder how the royal mail are still going... Its completely out of control in just about every way it could be.

Links please

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Creaking Gate said:

[...] I could quite easily buy pretty much any drug i want and have it delivered to my door within 48 hours.  If anyone thinks, even a small bit, that the police have a handle on this then alas they are very wrong.  Has nobody stopped to wonder how the royal mail are still going... Its completely out of control in just about every way it could be.

Online seems best - street dealers don't know the names of some of the newer drugs. Try getting your yellow Bentines from someone dealing on the street.

10 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Online seems best - street dealers don't know the names of some of the newer drugs. Try getting your yellow Bentines from someone dealing on the street.

How Chris Morris never got stabbed doing that i don't know, suspect he would nowadays.

Now need to dig out my Brass Eye & Day Today dvds, my Shatner's bassoon is itching for some cake :D 

• Haha 1