Manchester moorings

Kris9128

Featured Posts

Morning all. I start my 1st boating journey next Saturday, taking my new (to me) boat from Ormskirk over to Ashton-under- lyne. Will travelling up the Leeds and Liverpool onto the delightful Bridgewater into Manchester then onto the Ashton. Are there any nice ish, safe morring spots once i get into manchester and/or any places to avoid. I'll be single handing the old tub (if that makes any difference). 

Thanks, kris

Hello, I’ve just done that route in May and a couple of weeks ago. Castlefield on the bridgewater before the 9 is okay. After the 9 and the start of the Ashton in Piccadilly village there’s either the towpath side which I found okay and there’s other boats moored there or 24 hour moorings on the offside outside the flats but you need a key fob to go through the gate so only use that if you’re not planning to leave the boat.

lock underneath Piccadilly station is a little grim and some homeless sleeping around the lock near Deansgate but they’ve been okay with me, I’m also on my own. Do the 9 and Ashton in the morning (I.e I wouldn’t go through the 9 at 9pm on a Friday for example) and you should be fine 😃

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, n-baj said:

Hello, I’ve just done that route in May and a couple of weeks ago. Castlefield on the bridgewater before the 9 is okay. After the 9 and the start of the Ashton in Piccadilly village there’s either the towpath side which I found okay and there’s other boats moored there or 24 hour moorings on the offside outside the flats but you need a key fob to go through the gate so only use that if you’re not planning to leave the boat.

lock underneath Piccadilly station is a little grim and some homeless sleeping around the lock near Deansgate but they’ve been okay with me, I’m also on my own. Do the 9 and Ashton in the morning (I.e I wouldn’t go through the 9 at 9pm on a Friday for example) and you should be fine 😃

You can also moor in the Thomas Telford basin offline which is very safe and quiet, but also behind the key-fob access gate.

thomas telford.jpg

• Love 1

You are both referencing the same basin. You can moor on the topath side just before the basin. I've seen quite a few boats moor there over the last few years.

I'm impressed that anyone would tackle the Rochdale 9 singlehanded. They are notoriously difficult. Heavy with water coming over the gates. Access is poor on some of them too.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

You are both referencing the same basin. You can moor on the topath side just before the basin. I've seen quite a few boats moor there over the last few years.

I'm impressed that anyone would tackle the Rochdale 9 singlehanded. They are notoriously difficult. Heavy with water coming over the gates. Access is poor on some of them too.

I know, I took the post as referring to mooring on the offside but outside the basin -- which seems pointless, since you're behind the gate anyway you might as well go inside the basin where there are rings and more space and no passing boats.

I'm not sure it's feasible to do the Nine singlehanded given the access and gate difficulties and the water pouring over the top gates -- even if it is, it would be *very* hard work, pairing up with another boat would make life a lot easier... 😞

• Greenie 1

I have moored above the bottom lock of the nine before now. And at the junction at the top, although the latter was close to a local 'businessman' carrying out his trade on a bench. But neither he nor his customers were any problem to us.

Remember that if, as a CRT licence holder you, you going onto the Bridgewater you have to book your passage beforehand and there are time limits on your return.

• Greenie 1

The moorings on the towpath below the bottom lock of the Ashton opposite Thomas Telford basin are fine. Two boats were moored for a long time there  in 2021 waiting for a Rochdale 9 repair with no issues. It’s easy to get out then which I believe is difficult in the basin. 

you could watch Robbie Cumming single hand the 9 on youtube. He did it but it’s hard work. It’s not too many though and you will rest well with a sense of achievement having done them. 

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the advice and comments. Have just watched Robbie Cummings do the 9 single handed. They do look a bit sketchy. Silly question but...... with all the water coming over the top of the gates, whats the chances of me filling my boat up lol. She's 57ft with no cratchg cover. 

My aim was to do the Cheshire ring - clockwise, but could just as easily go the other way around and do the 9 last (with help)

Thanks, kris

The Rochdale locks are big, and will take a full length boat (72 foot) so as long as you stay near the bottom gate you should not get any water into the boat, but you need to take care.

More important, the Cheshire ring is closed and will be for quite a long time as another one of the Marple locks has had a structural failure..

I know, I took the post as referring to mooring on the offside but outside the basin -- which seems pointless, since you're behind the gate anyway you might as well go inside the basin where there are rings and more space and no passing boats.

There's also a lot more weed in the basin, or at least there was when I was last there. There are also rings outside on the offside - can't remember about the towpath side.

We went up the Ashton in July and mooring at the bottom of the Ashton, on the towpath, now looks popular.

Your only hope of a ring is now the Rochdale and HNC  but both are prone to stoppages and if you hit any delays these could run into the winter stoppage program. Spending a winter stuck on the Rochdale in Todmorden and Hebden bridge could be rather pleasant.

As long as you don't moor on the towpath side on the lock landing. When we went up last year, there was a boat right in the middle of the lock approach and he proudly said he had been there for a couple of days. It was a bit tricky for me getting off  to work the lock 

• 2 months later...
On 25/09/2023 at 21:36, Cheshire cat said:

I’ve done it singlehanded no issue but some drop out moored on the lock landing which forced me to leave top gate open which as O I found it. Had to throw a hook on a rope over it to pull it closed. Boater causing the issue was so bombed out of his mind and his boat was a public health hazard I let it go and kept on my merry way. Miss the boat but enjoying the life back in Goa India which is home for last 10 years. 

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

I’ve done it singlehanded no issue

same here,

glad there’s only 9 mind 😃,

I prefer coming down, the Bridgewater is an easy restful stretch for the rest of the day. 

rather do them at beginning of day than face them at the end of day

On 26/09/2023 at 11:30, dmr said:

We went up the Ashton in July and mooring at the bottom of the Ashton, on the towpath, now looks popular.

Your only hope of a ring is now the Rochdale and HNC  but both are prone to stoppages and if you hit any delays these could run into the winter stoppage program. Spending a winter stuck on the Rochdale in Todmorden and Hebden bridge could be rather pleasant.

Is the HNC open this winter? I was under the impression it is now ran seasonally (through stand edge anyway and likely 1E?)