Jump to content

No fuel when starting 2LW


Felshampo

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Clanky said:

Is it smoking any more than usual on start up? Is the oil level normal? Does the oil smell of diesel?

No more smoke. 

Oil level hasn't changed since March, just a fraction under max. 

No diesel smell in the oil. 

Have you any ideas as to what may be the problem? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i was thinking that the injectors might be leaking, hence it fires up after a few turns and when you prime using the levers there is no resistance and not hearing the squeak of the injectors releasing, but fires instantly after using the priming levers. Is it worth trying some injector cleaner in the fuel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Clanky said:

i was thinking that the injectors might be leaking, hence it fires up after a few turns and when you prime using the levers there is no resistance and not hearing the squeak of the injectors releasing, but fires instantly after using the priming levers. Is it worth trying some injector cleaner in the fuel?

Don't know. I'll look into that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next time you run it, after you stop I suggest using the priming levers to compare the feel to before and, particularly, to listen for the creak. If you are getting it after but not before then the fuel is not staying on the high pressure side. Also, compare the two cylinders to see if both are the same and 'creak' properly.

 

Alec

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never pulled my priming levers past the point where they start pumping as they felt rock hard and I thought I might have be going to break something. Are they normally hard to pull? Engine is a great starter always.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, davidb said:

I have never pulled my priming levers past the point where they start pumping as they felt rock hard and I thought I might have be going to break something. Are they normally hard to pull? Engine is a great starter always.

To be honest I've also not had a problem starting until now. I haven't been pulling the priming before so don't know what they were like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the priming levers are not showing any resistance before starting after being left for some time, does this perhaps point to defective non-return valves in the injection pump? On our engine the priming levers are stiff and pumping through the injector on the first or second pull even after leaving the engine shutdown for weeks.

 

Otherwise, it's perhaps the injectors or the pump elements. You can get some idea of leakage through these by seeing how the priming lever slowly continues to move down after being brought to the point where resistance is felt by maintaining the same force on the lever (just less than the force required to open the injector. Gardner provided details of how to test the pump elements as shown in the attached. I made this test equipment and it convinced me to get the pump on our engine serviced as it confirmed that one of the pump elements was worn

pump element tests.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

If the priming levers are not showing any resistance before starting after being left for some time, does this perhaps point to defective non-return valves in the injection pump? On our engine the priming levers are stiff and pumping through the injector on the first or second pull even after leaving the engine shutdown for weeks.

 

Otherwise, it's perhaps the injectors or the pump elements. You can get some idea of leakage through these by seeing how the priming lever slowly continues to move down after being brought to the point where resistance is felt by maintaining the same force on the lever (just less than the force required to open the injector. Gardner provided details of how to test the pump elements as shown in the attached. I made this test equipment and it convinced me to get the pump on our engine serviced as it confirmed that one of the pump elements was worn

pump element tests.pdf 514.09 kB · 1 download

 

7 minutes ago, BWM said:

Definitely sounds like a leak at one end of the high pressure side, pump or injector, or connecting pipework. 

 

I've got someone coming to replace the injectors next weekend. If that doesn't work then it looks like the fuel pump from what you have all said. It was calibrated by Walshes 4 years ago so I hope it's not that. 

I'll post on here when I find out. 

  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it is the pump you may wish to speak to Cambridge Injector Services. No connection other than as a satisfied customer, mainly for cars, but the father of the current owner still comes in to overhaul vintage pumps and they are capable of manufacturing components if they are unobtainable. When I took the CAV BPE pump in from my Kelvin J2 they came back to me to ask if I was aware of the need for petrol starting before doing any work on it - having recognised the serial number designation and being sufficiently familiar with this engine to know that this was necessary and could save me the cost if I wasn't aware of it. In fact it was the pump, but it was around £100 for the service, about a year ago.

 

Alec

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, agg221 said:

If it is the pump you may wish to speak to Cambridge Injector Services. No connection other than as a satisfied customer, mainly for cars, but the father of the current owner still comes in to overhaul vintage pumps and they are capable of manufacturing components if they are unobtainable. When I took the CAV BPE pump in from my Kelvin J2 they came back to me to ask if I was aware of the need for petrol starting before doing any work on it - having recognised the serial number designation and being sufficiently familiar with this engine to know that this was necessary and could save me the cost if I wasn't aware of it. In fact it was the pump, but it was around £100 for the service, about a year ago.

 

Alec

I'll bear that in mind, thanks. 

Edited by Felshampo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Felshampo said:

I'll bear that in mind, thanks. 

If you're anywhere near London, there's a place called Watson Diesel in Wimbledon. Ask for Ian, as he is very good with marine stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.