Princes meatballs

LadyG

Featured Posts

In the co op,.on the tinned shelf.

There are two varieties, gravy or tomato. Princess do some good tinned foods, this one was cheap, £1.40 and tasty.

I generally don't eat processed meats, but made an onion gravy and spuds, by sweating a red onion, garlic, spuds and some ripe tomatoes.

Brilliant flavours, though the meatballs were pretty much left on the plate. I think I'll try it with dumplings on top next time, super winter fare ready in twenty minutes. Plus ten mins prep

Edited by LadyG

IMG_20230917_143032.thumb.jpg.9802afbeaf3227752ccc4c08ee0b6fde.jpgI got these earlier from the Co Op. Not a veggie but always like a reduced item and they are actually really tasty. 

IMG_20230917_143032.jpg

I got two of them because of the good discount. 

The plastic goes in the fire as it just started raining a lot. 

• Horror 1

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

In the co op,.on the tinned shelf.

There are two varieties, gravy or tomato. Princess do some good tinned foods, this one was cheap, £1.40 and tasty.

I generally don't eat processed meats, but made an onion gravy and spuds, by sweating a red onion, garlic, spuds and some ripe tomatoes.

Brilliant flavours, though the meatballs were pretty much left on the plate. I think I'll try it with dumplings on top next time, super winter fare ready in twenty minutes. Plus ten mins prep

I didn't get the bit where you are saying they are great but left most of them on the plate. 

55 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I didn't get the bit where you are saying they are great but left most of them on the plate. 

Yes I didn't understand that either. If they're so great why weren't they eaten?

Tinned meatballs sound like cr@p food to me.

Edited by blackrose

Very tasty if you are lucky enough to get the first batch of the day's meatballs fry.

After that, the magic transpiration ingredient has worn off slightly. Perhaps those later ones were left on the plate?

(Sorry; I was inspired by the "sweated red onion")

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Very tasty if you are lucky enough to get the first batch of the day's meatballs fry.

After that, the magic transpiration ingredient has worn off slightly. Perhaps those later ones were left on the plate?

(Sorry; I was inspired by the "sweated red onion")

I expect a lot of people don't know about spitting in the pan when frying. 

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

It makes a lovely gravy dish. I don't really like meatballs, but most people think they are great.

It's quite cheap and convenient, as a dish which makes a meal in thirty minutes.

Princes do stew, and mince and onions, but they were £3.00.

I always have lots of veg, but sometimes a nice warming gravy makes it more tasty. I think it's when folk try to go veggie but can't resist the bacon sarnie :)

I boosted the product with red onion, a clove of garlic and some spuds cooked in the gravy.

I rarely just open a tin and just eat the product without adding things (except Cross and Blackwell Baked beans).

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Bought meatballs?  Just buy some decent beef mince from a real butcher's  and roll your own. Put a half or whole chilli in the middle to liven things up

N

Its not worth it for one person: you need to drain a tin of tomatoes for the sauce, then add rusks and egg to bind meatballs. I've never made them, but have had sort of homemade beefburgers in a sauce which is the same idea.

Things in a tin are generally for emergency meals as far as I am concerned.

Butcher is closed today and tomorrow..

Edited by LadyG

46 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Princes stuff is great I take tins when camping

That was the point I was trying to get over, I've tried other makes, but generally dreadful.

Edited by LadyG

Nearly bought some strawberries today in Asda. Then noticed they'd come all the way from ....

Australia!!

WTF?! I guess this is one of the huge benefits of our post Brexit trade deal with Australia.

We bought Shropshire raspberries instead which, since we're on the Shroppie, I thought reasonable enough.  I'll bet Bruce and Sheila aren't finding Shropshire raspberries on the shelves in Wogga Wogga's Supermarket though, eh? 

48 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Nearly bought some strawberries today in Asda. Then noticed they'd come all the way from ....

Australia!!

WTF?! I guess this is one of the huge benefits of our post Brexit trade deal with Australia.

We bought Shropshire raspberries instead which, since we're on the Shroppie, I thought reasonable enough.  I'll bet Bruce and Sheila aren't finding Shropshire raspberries on the shelves in Wogga Wogga's Supermarket though, eh? 

Funnily enough, my most recent box of strawberries from the co-op was labelled as having come from Shropshire. Variety Sweet Eve. Although to be honest they were not as sweet as last week's Zara. Definitely the last of them, I think.

I won't buy imported strawberries. The Scottish ones are great, but the season from there was a little short this year.

The best strawberries I ever ate were in Finland. Living there at the time. It figures that long daylight hours in summer translate to sweet plump fruit. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

An inverted Fray Bentos tin makes a great stove chimney collar cap.

Fray Bentos Pies have gone downhill, one has just enough meat for one hungry person, in the past it would feed two and actually a bit of a treat!

15 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Strawberries, raspberries or Princes meatballs?

Meatballs.

He isn't keen on strawberries or raspberries either though. Although he loves a blackberry. 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Fray Bentos Pies have gone downhill, one has just enough meat for one hungry person, in the past it would feed two and actually a bit of a treat!

A treat!

Really?

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

A treat!

Really?

When I was growing up my mother regularly served us Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie and I loved it. And I recall also enjoying it occasionally when living a bachelor life in a bedsit in South London after graduating. But I tried one recently and was very disappointed. Which made me wonder whether it was the pies that had changed or my taste.

20 minutes ago, David Mack said:

When I was growing up my mother regularly served us Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie and I loved it. And I recall also enjoying it occasionally when living a bachelor life in a bedsit in South London after graduating. But I tried one recently and was very disappointed. Which made me wonder whether it was the pies that had changed or my taste.

It's the pies, been loads of complaints, they've been shrinkpriced, or some such, less meat , cheaper meat, even the pastry won't puff up.

I think originally they bought all the range reared beef from South America, in refrigerated ships to the UK where it was processed, but trying to cut corners when a brand name has been established does not work forever. 

These were the years BG (Before Greggs)

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's the pies, been loads of complaints, they've been shrinkpriced, or some such, less meat , cheaper meat, even the pastry won't puff up.

I think originally they bought all the range reared beef from South America, in refrigerated ships to the UK where it was processed, but trying to cut corners when a brand name has been established does not work forever. 

These were the years BG (Before Greggs)

GREGGS :sick: