Needless Blue Signs

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Lots of these signs on the Leeds Liverpool just before most of the decommissioned swing bridges. Totally pointless. IMG_20230918_125157.thumb.jpg.d01000ad41d01198fe683cb62b330422.jpg

Not all the "decommissioned" swingbridges are decommissioned.  Some of them are usually left open but the landowner can and does swing it when wanting to use it.

Admittedly the signs are also near the ones with trees growing through the bridge deck too.  The vollies who erected them did ask what the point of some of them was, but were told to do them anyway!

Edited by TheBiscuits
Stupid mobile phone

55 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not all the "decommissioned" swingbridges are decommissioned.  Some of them are usually left open but the landowner can and does swing it when wanting to use it.

Admittedly the signs are also near the ones with trees growing through the bridge deck too.  The vollies who erected them did ask what the point of some of them was, but were told to do them anyway!

And usually so close to the bridge that it would take a snail to be that long getting there.

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

And usually so close to the bridge that it would take a snail to be that long getting there.

Stop canoe/kayak, climb out, either pick up boat or deploy portage trolley, walk to other side of bridge with canoe, put back in water, climb in again, set off.

I challenge you to do this in under 2 minutes for a standard L&L swingbridge.  That's what you are calling snails pace.

In practice of course, most canoes/kayaks/boards just lie down and go under the bridge if possible, but some of the bridges have big girders and sticking out bolts underneath them.

It's a liability CYA exercise from CRT.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Stop canoe/kayak, climb out, either pick up boat or deploy portage trolley, walk to other side of bridge with canoe, put back in water, climb in again, set off.

I challenge you to do this in under 2 minutes for a standard L&L swingbridge.  That's what you are calling snails pace.

In practice of course, most canoes/kayaks/boards just lie down and go under the bridge if possible, but some of the bridges have big girders and sticking out bolts underneath them.

It's a liability CYA exercise from CRT.

I read the sign as meaning two minutes from itself to the portage point, not to pass the bridge 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Thats a bit rude to people who routinely slow down past moored boats. 

A retort could be "I'm afraid this is as good as it gets. If you don't like it buy a caravan and it won't happen". 

It was right next to where a tree had been down and cleared that day, we picked up a submerged branch on the rudder and were literally crawling past heading for the bank to remove it :D 

21 hours ago, magnetman said:

Thats a bit rude to people who routinely slow down past moored boats. 

A retort could be "I'm afraid this is as good as it gets. If you don't like it buy a caravan and it won't happen". 

More rude to those who routinely slow down (me, for example) was the guy with not one, but 3 "tick over" signs on the side of his boat passing my on line mooring probably at the highest speed I've witnessed. There's a lot of competition for the fastest boat to pass our mooring (fortunately I know how to set spring lines), but this hypocrite took the biscuit! 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

More rude to those who routinely slow down (me, for example) was the guy with not one, but 3 "tick over" signs on the side of his boat passing my on line mooring probably at the highest speed I've witnessed. There's a lot of competition for the fastest boat to pass our mooring (fortunately I know how to set spring lines), but this hypocrite took the biscuit! 

Funny how the ones with signs are usually the worst culprits, isn't it?

I remember a wide bean called something like 'No rush' going along the Thames with the hammers down as if trying to escape from an atom bomb blast. 

Its always the same story. 

There will be a boat called 'take it easy' who will be going round as if its a Formula 1 race with a couple of irate looking characters on the back of it scowling at everyone. 

spacer.png

This one is fun, because it is clearly a fake ... Wrong font, it's in Wales and only in English, and the trademark top-left-corner circular bit is missing. I suppose you know you are an Important Signwriter if others fake your signs ...

2 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

This one is fun, because it is clearly a fake ... Wrong font, it's in Wales and only in English, and the trademark top-left-corner circular bit is missing. I suppose you know you are an Important Signwriter if others fake your signs ...

It's all blurred too. Another clue. 😀

On 24/09/2023 at 17:27, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

Passed that one a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a fake, even hurtling by on tick over, towing a water skier. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

First time I have seen "Please mind the gap" on a canal sign. 

Don't worry Mr Parry will be installing a tannoy system soon "Please mind the gap!" There are plenty of opportunities remaining to waste our license money on other idiot non-essentials.
#sackRichardParry