Rubber Pipe Fenders

dmr

Featured Posts

If anybody wants any rubber pipe fenders I have found a way to obtain a large number of these free of charge, I just open up the weedhatch and there is another bugger down there. Got another one today.

A plea to boaters...., take pride in your boat and boating and get some proper rope fenders, and only deploy them when moored. Never cruise with fenders down.

Pipe fenders are cheap, nasty and the work of the devil.

Gillie was driving and shouted me to say she had a pipe fender round the prop, no need to look, she knows the sound that they make 😀

Pipe Fender IMG_2005.jpg

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Obviously  it’s something to do with where boat builders position fender eyes below the gunnels, so not letting the fender rise/swing. These type of eyes were standard on Liverpool/Collingwood shells, so you know there’s thousands of fenders lurking down there. Also with all the newbies buying boats it’s an easy sale  for the Chandlery telling them “every eye needs a fender”

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

16 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Obviously  it’s something to do with where boat builders position fender eyes below the gunnels, so not letting the fender rise/swing. These type of eyes were standard on Liverpool/Collingwood shells, so you know there’s thousands of fenders lurking down there. Also with all the newbies buying boats it’s an easy sale  for the Chandlery telling them “every eye needs a fender” 👍 below is one of the culprit eye designs.

F436FA87-6CFD-4526-BAB1-482F6A90A1BA.jpeg.27f1e1206a0cdd226fd4cf23e9bed393.jpeg

No - its down to people cruising and going through locks with their fenders down. Mintball has fender attachments on the gunwales which we use when needed but don't cruise with side fenders down.

• Greenie 1

In the absence of wheelbarrow wheel fenders they do have one specific use.

On a slightly longer line they can provide some relief between the chine, and the cursed Shroppie ledge, or cill or whatever you want to call it. 

Whether this warrants even retention, is debatable, let alone purchase.

13 hours ago, dmr said:

If anybody wants any rubber pipe fenders I have found a way to obtain a large number of these free of charge, I just open up the weedhatch and there is another bugger down there. Got another one today.

A plea to boaters...., take pride in your boat and boating and get some proper rope fenders, and only deploy them when moored. Never cruise with fenders down.

Pipe fenders are cheap, nasty and the work of the devil.

Gillie was driving and shouted me to say she had a pipe fender round the prop, no need to look, she knows the sound that they make 😀

Pipe Fender IMG_2005.jpg

I must be lucky the ones I’ve picked up on the prop still had the hangers attached.

5 hours ago, DandV said:

In the absence of wheelbarrow wheel fenders they do have one specific use.

On a slightly longer line they can provide some relief between the chine, and the cursed Shroppie ledge, or cill or whatever you want to call it. 

Whether this warrants even retention, is debatable, let alone purchase.

Yes, and there is one spot on the Rochdale where the slope of the washwall is such that this is needed in addition to the wheel. I accept that a boat can keep two pipe fenders in a locker for these very rare uses.😀

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It's not the fenders - they sink like solid rubber stones - it's the cheapo polypropylene rope they come with. Anchored to the bottom by the fender, the poly rope positions itself like a stalactite awaiting a victim. It's the canal equivalent of a sea mine.

Just a slight correction, stalactites come down from the ceiling, whilst stalagmites grow up from the floor.

Easly to remember - 'tights' come down !

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just a slight correction, stalactites come down from the ceiling, whilst stalamites grow up from the floor.

I always understood that the ones from the ceiling were spelt with a c and the ones from the ground with a g.

Yours has neither so I don't know where they grow from!

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

Stalagmites ;)  you missed the G for ground

Just now, Lily Rose said:

I always understood that the ones from the ceiling were spelt with a c and the ones from the ground with a g.

Thankyou, you are both correct - fingers typing faster than my brain works.

On 14/09/2023 at 09:11, Alan de Enfield said:

Just a slight correction, stalactites come down from the ceiling, whilst stalagmites grow up from the floor.

I knew that and I'm so amazed I wrote it I'm sure I didn't. Autocorrect? :(