BCN weed

saxplayer

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, saxplayer said:

Heading up the 21 on Sun then later to the Black Country museum. Can any one tell what the state of the weed is on the old/new main line

cheers 

One of our owners has just done that trip this week.  He said there’s a fair bit of weed, but he had a couple of trips down the weedhatch to remove discarded clothing.  Quite a lot of rubbish to be seen too.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, saxplayer said:

Heading up the 21 on Sun then later to the Black Country museum. Can any one tell what the state of the weed is on the old/new main line

cheers 

The old main line has weed but it stays on the bottom, the water is so clear you can see it and the fish. I have never had a weed on prop problem.

New main line has more rubbish than weed and is boring.

Enjoy the museum, get the fish and chips, they are stupendous.

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The old main line has weed but it stays on the bottom, the water is so clear you can see it and the fish. I have never had a weed on prop problem.

New main line has more rubbish than weed and is boring.

Enjoy the museum, get the fish and chips, they are stupendous.

An essential part of a visit to the BCLM. The Bottle and Glass is excellent too... 😉

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

They have opened a second pub, the Elephant and Castle. 

All they need now is decent moorings and the pubs and chippy to stay open in the evening and that's the overnight stopover sorted... 😉

(failing that, John the Locks moorings and Tipton are pretty good...)

27 minutes ago, cuthound said:

They have opened a second pub, the Elephant and Castle. 

Yes, was in there last year. 
They have a set of dommies and a crib board behind the bar so we had a good session in there. 
It was an odd place to drink in though. 
Strangely soulless. 

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes, was in there last year. 
They have a set of dommies and a crib board behind the bar so we had a good session in there. 
It was an odd place to drink in though. 
Strangely soulless. 

You mean you go to the pub without your own crib board? How remiss of you... 😉

crib.jpg

Edited by IanD

From the BCLM to Wolverhampton was pretty clear when we came through just over a week ago unlike Smethwick to BCLM which was full of weed.

34 minutes ago, IanD said:

All they need now is decent moorings and the pubs and chippy to stay open in the evening and that's the overnight stopover sorted... 😉

(failing that, John the Locks moorings and Tipton are pretty good...)

13 boats overnight around the BCLM when we were there, just managed to leave two bollards free at the service block.  Made getting the tug and 5 pans in to the museum interesting when they came back from Pelsall.

11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

From the BCLM to Wolverhampton was pretty clear when we came through just over a week ago unlike Smethwick to BCLM which was full of weed.

13 boats overnight around the BCLM when we were there, just managed to leave two bollards free at the service block.  Made getting the tug and 5 pans in to the museum interesting when they came back from Pelsall.

I guess that's OK if you just want to stay on the boat at the museum overnight, but IIRC there's very little round there outside the museum and access is awkward (towpath/no footbridges).

Near John the Locks moorings are good pubs (Fountain?), restaurants and takeaways a couple of hundred yards away in Tipton.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Last time I went to the Fountain we arrived just before 10pm on a Sunday and they were closing so couldn't get a pint.

The chip shop just down the road from there is ok.

Many pubs close early (e.g. 10pm on a Sunday) if they don't get any customers. Looking online (this took 10 seconds to find...) the Fountain closes at 11:30pm on Fri/Sat and 10pm all other nights...

When we were at the Fountain (can't remember what day it was -- but it *was* pre-Covid...) we left about midnight IIRC...

Edited by IanD

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Plenty of customers sat in there and about half a dozen of us walked in intending to join some others who had gone ahead of us.

See above post... 😉

I'm sure you know as well as I do that pubs choose their opening hours depending on how much custom they *regularly* get, not who happens to be there on one particular evening. They've chosen to only open late (11:30) on Fri/Sat and close at 10pm the other 5 days. It's not something you can really complain about, especially when you can find this out so easily in a few seconds -- see below... 😉

If they say they're open until 11pm and then close at 10pm, then you might have grounds for complaint 🙂

fountain.jpg

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

See above post... 😉

I'm sure you know as well as I do that pubs choose their opening hours depending on how much custom they *regularly* get, not who happens to be there on one particular evening. They've chosen to only open late (11:30) on Fri/Sat and close at 10pm the other 5 days. It's not something you can really complain about, especially when you can find this out so easily in a few seconds -- see below... 😉

If they say they're open until 11pm and then close at 10pm, then you might have grounds for complaint 🙂

fountain.jpg

But are all the Google hours correct for the pubs

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But are all the Google hours correct for the pubs

They seem to be for that one, since the complaint was that they closed at 10pm, which is exactly what it says they do every day except Fri/Sat.

Like I said, you can complain if they're wrong, not if they close when they say they're going to even if you want another pint... 😉

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Mad O'Rourkes, if you have crew to do the (shortish) walk for you, is good.

It is. According to Google it closes at 10pm every day, 9pm on Sunday... 😉

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Never tried that one but will next time. 
I usually use the one opposite Poundland. 
Have you tried the boozer next to your chippy?

It was the chippy opposite Poundland I meant.  I've only used the Fountain round there, when it is open.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

It was the chippy opposite Poundland I meant.  I've only used the Fountain round there, when it is open.

Either way, there's a lot more choice of evening food and drink in Tipton than round the BCLM... 😉