Red squirrel, pine woods

LadyG

Featured Posts

Well, quite a thing, a red squirrel jumped on my roof, didn't stay long. I think the Nottinghamshire Nature Trust have introduced them. I reported a sighting.

I keep looking out of window for otters, but they are pretty much nocturnal though I once opened a window to see two pups staring back.

I never see the frogs of my youth, we used to find frogspawn nearly everywhere.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well, quite a thing, a red squirrel jumped on my roof, didn't stay long. I think the Nottinghamshire Nature Trust have introduced them. I reported a sighting.

I keep looking out of window for otters, but they are pretty much nocturnal though I once opened a window to see two pups staring back.

IIRC there was a virus that killed off huge numbers of frogs about 20 years ago -- before that our pond used to be boiling with mating frogs and then spawn every spring, after that they were all gone (and still are)... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

55 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Lucky you. I've not glimpsed a red squirrel since being back in the UK. In mainland Yerp they are the norm.

I did see a giant Malabar squirrel once, west coast of India. So heavy it looked as if the branch it was walking on would collapse, and I was directly underneath.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

IIRC there was a virus that killed off huge numbers of frogs about 20 years ago -- before that our pond used to be boiling with mating frogs and then spawn every spring, after that they were all gone (and still are)... 😞

That is interesting, I had not heard that before, our pond had lots of mating frogs and  frogspawn when we moved in but I have not seen any for years.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Where were you (approx) when you saw the red squirrel please?

I've only seen Red Squirrels up in Kielder Forest, plenty of Greys visit the garden at home though, i don't mind 'em.

Few years ago we were in Llangollen basin at peak frog time, made the stagger back from the pub tricky as they were all over the paths, luckily we had torches or it could've been a slippery walk.

Edited by Hudds Lad
too many backs

The Isle of Wight is still a grey-free red squirrel enclave. The only other place I have seen them is in  Scotland. 

I believe that it is still the law that anyone catching a grey squirrel is obliged to kill it. This must be done humanely, otherwise you could be prosecuted for animal cruelty as I believe someone was a few years ago after he had drowned one. I don't know if the requirement to report any sighting of a grey to the police is still on the statute book! 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos