Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding

Featured Posts

Anyone had this email? :

Hello,

You are receiving this email because you have a Canal & River Trust licence and you are a continuous cruiser without a home mooring.  

The Department for Energy Security and Net Zero is testing with Canal & River Trust continuous cruisers how best to support you with your energy bills as part of the Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding.  

From CART 

Does it ask for your bank account and password details so they can pay £'000s into your account ?

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The Department for Energy Security and Net Zero is testing with Canal & River Trust continuous cruisers how best to support you

Appallingly written - Reads as if it was either written by C&RTs "Saturday Girl" or a Nigerian Princess.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Anyone had this email? :

Hello,

You are receiving this email because you have a Canal & River Trust licence and you are a continuous cruiser without a home mooring.  

The Department for Energy Security and Net Zero is testing with Canal & River Trust continuous cruisers how best to support you with your energy bills as part of the Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding.  

From CART 

Did you look at the headers and/or "reply-to" addresses to see if it *was* actually from CART?

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

You didn’t get one either?

Nope, but then I don't have a boat on the water yet and will have a home mooring when I do...

If it is a scam then you ought to tell CART about it so they can warn boaters not to fall for it.

Edited by IanD

23 hours ago, n-baj said:

I’ve had to call CRT today on an unrelated issue and they’ve added grant money for cc’ers on the dial tone menu options so it appears to be legitimate.

Yes, just rang it and it’s now option press 1, maybe worth giving them a ring, may be the sweetener before CaRT put the CCing licence up, a case of give with one and hand take with the other😂

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

On 14/08/2023 at 17:09, n-baj said:

I’ve had to call CRT today on an unrelated issue and they’ve added grant money for cc’ers on the dial tone menu options so it appears to be legitimate.

Eh?

Is this for real???

I don't have a Continuous Cruise Licence, but I do cc, for some reason u known to me I am recorded as having a private mooring, I never bothered to tell them otherwise. I'd better do something about that, I just assumed this was some sort of spoofspam.

On 14/08/2023 at 17:05, Goliath said:

there’ll be an angle in there somewhere 

Obtuse

Edited by LadyG

On 14/08/2023 at 15:57, Alan de Enfield said:

Appallingly written - Reads as if it was either written by C&RTs "Saturday Girl" or a Nigerian Princess.

It also follows the good practice of Nigerian Princesses by having no personalization (it addresses you as "Hello,")

I filled in the survey anyway. If I'm not going to get any support allowance, I might as well aim to get paid to complain about it for 80 mins :D 

Funnily enough, the survey includes this question

image.thumb.png.f10c5609d8186a3ff46030c39cab383f.png

Edited by enigmatic

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Eh?

Is this for real???

I don't have a Continuous Cruise Licence, but I do cc, for some reason u known to me I am recorded as having a private mooring, I never bothered to tell them otherwise. I'd better do something about that, I just assumed this was some sort of spoofspam.

I doubt you can suddenly become a CCer if they have you down with a home mooring to claim the money? I image it will be only for registered CCers maybe registered up to a specific date? There will be lots of people down with a home mooring living on non-residential moorings, sometimes it’s best to keep quiet.

if you suddenly declare your a CCer and in future CaRT increase their licence(boats without home mooring) will you try to change back? Somehow I doubt it will be that easy, then again you never know with CaRT.

I've updated my licence,: I am officially a continuous cruiser, ominously I now have to expect  contact from the CRT.

My spam detector is in the red zone. 

I think there will be a new category for licencing, a phishing Licence 

Edited by LadyG

On 14/08/2023 at 17:09, n-baj said:

I've tried that, it's option 1!

They will get back to me end of August, not long to go.

I'm quite excited about it, will I get it backdated, ie 2x£400!!!!

12 hours ago, MtB said:

I know of loads of liveaboards WITH a home mooring, and a smattering of CCers who don't live aboard. 

So just assuming all CCers, and CCers only should get the grant seems totally half-cocked. 

Yes, I've seen plenty of boats that look as though the move every fourteen days all year round, I thought  the reason that we never got the £400, was that its open to fraud.

Was there some mention of a trial rather than a pilot?

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I've tried that, it's option 1!

They will get back to me end of August, not long to go.

I'm quite excited about it, will I get it backdated, ie 2x£400!!!!

Yes, I've seen plenty of boats that look as though the move every fourteen days all year round, I thought  the reason that we never got the £400, was that its open to fraud.

Was there some mention of a trial rather than a pilot?

So you’ll now be moving every 14 days and complying with the Continuous Cruising rules, now you’ve declared yourself a CCer without a home mooring to get the money?

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That could come back and 'bite her in the bum' !

Especially if CaRT hike up the license fee for boats without a home mooring. It makes you wonder if it’s that easy to self declare being a CCer or to say you have a home mooring? 

24 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Especially if CaRT hike up the license fee for boats without a home mooring. It makes you wonder if it’s that easy to self declare being a CCer or to say you have a home mooring? 

If you declare you have a home mooring, CRT want to know where it is, presumably to make sure they're getting their share of the mooring fee. If in a marina or on some online moorings, it's included in your rent and the landlord pays it, if EOG then you usually pay it yourself separately . Either way, CRT will want an accurate record. I doubt a declared CC would save anything by pretending to have a home mooring - my EOG mooring fee is almost as much as the licence (CRT is not my landlord).

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If you declare you have a home mooring, CRT want to know where it is, presumably to make sure they're getting their share of the mooring fee. If in a marina or on some online moorings, it's included in your rent and the landlord pays it, if EOG then you usually pay it yourself separately . Either way, CRT will want an accurate record. I doubt a declared CC would save anything by pretending to have a home mooring - my EOG mooring fee is almost as much as the licence (CRT is not my landlord).

Are you sure CaRT check what boats have permanent moorings in a Marina? Say a marina being leased off CaRT with a 25 year lease, where the lease holder pays a monthly rent to CaRT, do they actually make the Marina operator give a monthly inventory of paying Moorers and boats by name/registered number? 
 Or just because I say I’m moored in a particular Marina when my licence is due, they take my word for it being my home mooring?

I moved my boat from my declared home mooring Marina 2 years ago to a neighbouring marina with a different address and owner, but it still says the boats in the original Marina on my details held with Cart and they have never questioned it, even though it’s licensed checked every week.

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

So you’ll now be moving every 14 days and complying with the Continuous Cruising rules, now you’ve declared yourself a CCer without a home mooring to get the money?

Is it mandatory to wait out the fourteen days, then do I declare an overstay due to the rudder falling off again, or should I find another reason?

Has there always been a cc licence option?   I thought the received wisdom was that there is no such thing, officially.

I fear this is an entry to hiking the Licence fees.

Edited by LadyG