Lamp bulbs

Featured Posts

What type of bulb fits the Autopal headlamp, as I believe it could be a H4 Halogen bulb? However, I would like to replace this with a suitably bright LED alternative. Does anyone have any advise, i.e. can I just replace the bulb with a  something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/

Secondly the bulb has failed on the navigation lamp (see photo). I'm unsure how to replace the bulb without removing the plastic shield or unscrewing the assembly. Does anyone know how to (1). Replace the bulb; (2). What type of bulb; (3); Can it be an alternative LED bulb?

Thanks.

20230806_105615.jpg

20230806_105747.jpg

20230806_105804.jpg

20230806_105608.jpg

FWIW I would never put a car headlamp bulb into the tunnel lamp because it is a menace to oncoming boats - it is very likely to dazzle them so they lose theu dark vision and possibly hit you. It looks like three screws in the rim to take the lens off so you can get at the bulb and identify the type, but my view is that 21 watts equivalent is plenty. Anyway, unless you are a horse boat or legging the tunnel lamp's consumption is irrelevant because the alternator will be supply all the current it needs.

I think that you will have to undo the three screws on the nav lamp to get at the bulb, but please note that it could be a specially constructed one to meet the regulations, just fitting any blub could render it non-compliant. That is unlikely to matter because by the looks of it that lamp is probably too small to be compliant anyway, because of the boat's length. Again, why the fixation with LEDs? The alternator will provide all the electricity it needs. There are LED nav lamp bulbs, but there are questions about their use in existing lamps regulation wise.

Nav light is 3 screws and it hope it was into a tapped thread and hasn't got nuts on the inside.

Remove the brass and you will get to the lamp.

Headlight wot Tony says.

Point of order is that they are lamps, capsules etc. Bulbs go in the ground to create plants.  

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Again, why the fixation with LEDs?

Looking for longer lamp life is a possibility. Incandescents fail with monotonous regularity.

LEDs tend to last a lot longer, although a couple of LEDs from bedazzled (IIRC) in my boat have recently failed after about 6 years.

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The reflector is gone, chuck it and buy a new LED flame thrower  like the share/hire boats and blind oncoming boaters.

Like the Canaltime waiting at the top of Chirk tunnel with the light on, even after asking the crew member walking through the tunnel to ask them to turn it off. When I got to the other end and pointing out I may have been quicker if I could have seen where I was going she just said she didn't want someone else pinching her tunnel.

39 minutes ago, MtB said:

Looking for longer lamp life is a possibility. Incandescents fail with monotonous regularity.

LEDs tend to last a lot longer, although a couple of LEDs from bedazzled (IIRC) in my boat have recently failed after about 6 years.

I agree, but that tends only to be appreciated by those with the knowledge. In fact, "bodging" a smallish LED bulb into that reflector would probably ruin the beam and make it far more considerate of other boaters.

There does look to be a lot of condensation inside that tunnel lamp. Suggest looking at any seals, if it is to be kept. Won't be good for the longevity of any source of illumination inside, incandescent, or LED. Would also help explain why the silvering has corroded off the reflector.

Replace it with a new LED lamp, bright enough to instantly vaporise a GRP cruiser at a hundred paces. Aim it at the tunnel roof, so you are warmed by the molten glaze on the surface of the bricks as you pass underneath. Don't point it at the water, as the resulting steam will make it impossible to see.

52 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Nav light is 3 screws and it hope it was into a tapped thread and hasn't got nuts on the inside.

Remove the brass and you will get to the lamp.

Headlight wot Tony says.

Point of order is that they are lamps, capsules etc. Bulbs go in the ground to create plants.  

They are light bulbs and have been for many years, lamp bulbs is just wrong.

Tulip bulbs and daffodil bulbs etc get planted in the ground and lightbulbs light up, its not difficult. 😀

Capsules are big pills that the doctor gives you.

47 minutes ago, MtB said:

Looking for longer lamp life is a possibility.

I fitted LED lamps into my nav lights of the same design for exactly this reason.

They used to leak so the bulb holders were corroded and the incandescent lamps kept blowing.  Two LED lamps of the correct size, clean and refit the lamp holders and thoroughly seal the covers, lenses and the join onto to the cabin sides.

They don't meet COLREGS specifications, but they didn't with the previous lamps in either!

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

They don't meet COLREGS specifications

OMG!!!! a fantastic example of "Sticking it to the man" if ever I read one. Hats off to you Sir!!

You'll be telling us next you don't have a label on your gas locker lid saying "GAS ISOLATOR BELOW"...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

OMG!!!! a fantastic example of "Sticking it to the man" if ever I read one. Hats off to you Sir!!

You'll be telling us next you don't have a label on your gas locker lid saying "GAS ISOLATOR BELOW"...

I dont

I don't have one on the gas locker and I don't have a fuel isolation label either.  I would like to get one that says fridge isolator so that when someone does some work on the boat and I've left the fridge off with the door open I don't come back to the boat two weeks later to find the fridge on with the door still open.  Good job it was sunny and the solar kept up with the drain from the fridge.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I don't have one on the gas locker and I don't have a fuel isolation label either.  I would like to get one that says fridge isolator so that when someone does some work on the boat and I've left the fridge off with the door open I don't come back to the boat two weeks later to find the fridge on with the door still open.  Good job it was sunny and the solar kept up with the drain from the fridge.

Air con

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I don't have one on the gas locker

OMG so LUCKY your bote didn't ignite and all your gas bottles explode because the fire fighters had a jolly good look around for a "GAS ISOLATOR BELOW" label but never found one so concluded there was no gas and they all went home and later your gas bottles all exploded. 

Or something like that.

Nav Light ... as mentioned earlier you just undo the three screws and carefully prise the light off the boat. Mine had a gasket around it so be careful. I also changed the bulbs to LED but cannot remember the model number - sorry. I happened to be moored next to a Midland Chandler shop at the time and they had the LED bulbs as standard stock but presume you can get them off the net etc.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Nav Light ... as mentioned earlier you just undo the three screws and carefully prise the light off the boat. Mine had a gasket around it so be careful. I also changed the bulbs to LED but cannot remember the model number - sorry. I happened to be moored next to a Midland Chandler shop at the time and they had the LED bulbs as standard stock but presume you can get them off the net etc.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Lenses and Spares for Navigation Lights (asap-supplies.com)  

image.thumb.png.8d0b4d73499d3e492122cdaa92f9aa9a.png