Northwich

Chris T

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Chris T said:

The White Bear looks good, maybe one for the way back 🍻

Not to be missed if you like your beer. Never the same selection 2 days running and usually 6 or 7 different independent breweries.

9 minutes ago, Ken X said:

If anybody is more restaurant biased we popped into the "Il Padrino" Italian restaurant last month and found it most acceptable.  Open Wednesdays onwards.

Went to The Big Lock this week, they had no beer at all, only lager. Food was OK though. Good job I don't drink beer but the gent I was with was not impressed.

55 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Went to The Big Lock this week, they had no beer at all, only lager. Food was OK though. Good job I don't drink beer but the gent I was with was not impressed.

The post above refers to Kings lock 😀. The Big lock was never much good for beer. I believe it got a makeover and change of manager a couple of years ago but they were talking about cocktails and stuff rather than beer so I doubt its got any better, sad as its a good location.

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

The post above refers to Kings lock 😀. The Big lock was never much good for beer. I believe it got a makeover and change of manager a couple of years ago but they were talking about cocktails and stuff rather than beer so I doubt its got any better, sad as its a good location.

If that is the Kings Lock then that's a shame, it had excellent food *and* beer when we were there a few years ago... 😞

Last time we called at the Big Lock (also pre-Covid) it looked and felt like an upmarket 'spoons but considerably more expensive... 😞

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

It was always King’s Lock for me.

With the boat moored above.

And the people in the chandlery below are very friendly and helpful, not rip off merchants either.

Unless things have changed. 

At one time their diesel was very competitive, but not so good now 

• Sad 1

The Kings Lock pub has been closed the last 2 times we've passed, during what you'd expect to be opening hours, so we weren't sure if it had closed down.

Anyway, following the recommendations, we decided to swap Northwich for Middlewich for our shopping, so will be trying out the recommendations tomorrow. We plan to moor above Kings Lock too, as it looked to be busy enough to be safe and gets a few of the locks out of the way. 

5 minutes ago, Chris T said:

The Kings Lock pub has been closed the last 2 times we've passed, during what you'd expect to be opening hours, so we weren't sure if it had closed down.

Anyway, following the recommendations, we decided to swap Northwich for Middlewich for our shopping, so will be trying out the recommendations tomorrow. We plan to moor above Kings Lock too, as it looked to be busy enough to be safe and gets a few of the locks out of the way. 

The chippy there is supposed to be very good... 😉

58 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Good luck,

give us an update on the pub 👍

The road might be a bit noisy, can’t remember. 

and are there still lots and lots of swans there?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

At one time their diesel was very competitive, but not so good now 

Last time I got diesel there was a real pain as there was a newly painted boat moored across the pump and I was told to pull alongside.  The boat owner wasn't happy having my centreline across their roof but he had a cratch which made it impossible to cross his bows.

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Good luck,

give us an update on the pub 👍

The road might be a bit noisy, can’t remember. 

and are there still lots and lots of swans there?

...and the chippy, if you use it 🙂

P.S. The road *is* noisy, but if you drink enough beer in the pub it won't bother you...

Edited by IanD

Well, I am committed to going now so that I can report back on the pub 😁 (sorry, won't be the chippy).

Lots of swans at Anderton today. We hadn't, however, realised that the boat lift and visitor centre close on Thursday, but on the positive side we now have a beautiful mooring at Billinge flash.

We were told by another boater that the boat lift and visitor centre had been closed for 3 days as the car park had been occupied by travellers.