Gloucester and Sharpness Traffic Lights

Theo

Featured Posts

Our first trip down the G&S but we have been a little uncertain about the protocol.

Reading the guides says even if your air draft allows passage wait for the lights:

Steady red: wait

Flashing red: bridge or lock being prepared

Green: proceed

We approached Hempsted bridge from the north and there was nothing showing.  We got closer and closer, still nothing.  Stong wind so I phoned to find out what to do.  "Your too far away wait a bit.  Still no lights showing.  We needed to keep steerage way on and by this time we were passing the traffic light.  The bridge keeper came out and started windng open the bridge.  "Ah,"  thought I, "lights dysfunctional".  Proceeding as slowly as I dared.  The bridge now fully open so I proceeded and got told off for not waiting for the green light.

Sims bridge lights worked as per instructions.  Rea Bridge: no light so we hung about and waited.  Eventually the bridge keeper walked down and said that we could go under the closed bridge and that the lights not showing indicated that we could just proceed.

I am a little confused...

N

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Theo said:

I am a little confused...

I had the same on the Caledonian Canal.

We hired a boat and at the occasional bridge the lights were off, circled around for 'ages' until the bridge keeper came out and waved us on. They know which boats will fit under without lifting, and which won't.

Simples when it is explained.

1 hour ago, Theo said:

he bridge now fully open so I proceeded and got told off for not waiting for the green light.

Don't worry, he shouted at us as well for creeping ever so slowly past the light to avoid being blown sideways: we only did it once!

Drifted past a red light, in full control of the boat, while the bridge was opening and got shouted at by the bridge keeper, followed by a letter from CRT saying our licence would be cancelled if we did it again. So since then I have waited for the green, even at those bridges high enough to pass under. That resulted in a bridge keeper coming out to wave me through the red light.

You wait for a green, end of, or else you will get shouted at.  I waited for a green with the bow of the boat past the light and I got a right telling off!

The two (smaller ones) that you can pass under in a NB, you still wait for a green, or for the keeper to wave you through.

Do those bridge keepers have VHF? It sounds like it would be useful, like talkng to the lock keepers on the Trent. They could then tell you if they required you to wait for the green light or to proceed anyway because you will fit under.

I hope those that got shouted at gave back as good as they got.

Officious pillocks shouldn't be in these sorts of roles.

If one passes the light with good reason they need to be told to wind their neck in.

Edited by M_JG

9 minutes ago, M_JG said:

If one passes the light with good reason they need to be told to wind their neck in.

My experience was, an approach where I could be seen from many minutes away, I crept along, expecting to see a change of the traffic light; nothing. I continued to creep closer; still nothing. I stopped in the water; still nothing. I started to drift out of control so U turned away from the light; still no change. I headed back, in and out of gear and eased passed the light not knowing what to do. The chap then appeared and curtly told me to go back behind the light before he would operate the bridge. I did wonder if he had something against pleasure craft and enjoyed making their life difficult.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jpcdriver said:

Do those bridge keepers have VHF? It sounds like it would be useful, like talkng to the lock keepers on the Trent. They could then tell you if they required you to wait for the green light or to proceed anyway because you will fit under.

There are only 3 of the bridges that have VHF.  The rule is even for the ones that an NB can pass under you have to wait for a green.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

There are only 3 of the bridges that have VHF.  The rule is even for the ones that an NB can pass under you have to wait for a green.

At least with a direct contact they would have to acknowledge your presence, rather than being free to ignore you.

Our home mooring is in Gloucester and have found that if the light remains red when we are getting close to it, a couple of short blasts on the horn tends to get their attention. This was suggested by one of the permanent bridge keepers and it always seem to work with no adverse reaction from the bridge keepers, who I have always found to be very cheerful.

6 minutes ago, Deep said:

Our home mooring is in Gloucester and have found that if the light remains red when we are getting close to it, a couple of short blasts on the horn tends to get their attention. This was suggested by one of the permanent bridge keepers and it always seem to work with no adverse reaction from the bridge keepers, who I have always found to be very cheerful.

It might wake them if they are dozing, but I always think the horn is a bit discourteous; perhaps not.

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

You wait for a green, end of, or else you will get shouted at.  I waited for a green with the bow of the boat past the light and I got a right telling off!

The two (smaller ones) that you can pass under in a NB, you still wait for a green, or for the keeper to wave you through.

Yes and if it's windy and your bow protrudes slightly beyond the traffic light, you still get shouted at. They expect you to stop on a dime & wait and as mentioned, if you're too far away they will pretend they can't see you and do nothing. Very frustrating as often you can't win, but still a nice canal. Some bridge keepers are (or were) much more friendly and will phone ahead to other bridge keepers but they were exceptions.

edit: Forgot to mention also the wind can be a real PITA on this ship canal as it's much wider (I think around 70-100ft wide give or take) and exposed to the elements. 

2 hours ago, Deep said:

I tried that, but ended up mooring and going and waking him up, it was a sunny afternoon

3 hours ago, M_JG said:

But what is "good reason" to pass the light

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I tried that, but ended up mooring and going and waking him up, it was a sunny afternoon

But what is "good reason" to pass the light

Ok then to be clearer if it was found to be unavoidable due to conditions.

But either way nothing justifies being 'shouted at'. If they are shouting at boaters they are in the wrong job.

Any lock keeper or bridge keeper that has to resort to shouting at boaters is clearly poorly trained and/or has a bad attitude.

I spend a lot of time on this canal and found the bridge keepers to be helpful and friendly.

Simply, if the lights are on you must obey the rules.

solid red - wait.  Do not cross the ‘stop line’. Though a blast on the horn if waiting more than a few mins is wise as the bridge keepers maybe having a tea, grass cutting or painting.  I have never had a complaint for horn blowing.  Though I always give then a few mins.

Flashing red means the bridge keeper has seen you.  Again, do not cross the ‘stop line’. However this does not mean anything will happen immediately, they may be waiting for a boat on the other side to get closer to avoid having the bridge open for too long - the locals complain.

Green - go.

If the lights are off it means the bridge is unmanned, if low enough to pass under, then proceed with caution.  If too high, phone Gloucester lock and ask advice, assuming you are calling during their open hours.

11 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Ok then to be clearer if it was found to be unavoidable due to conditions.

But either way nothing justifies being 'shouted at'. If they are shouting at boaters they are in the wrong job.

Any lock keeper or bridge keeper that has to resort to shouting at boaters is clearly poorly trained and/or has a bad attitude.

To be fair, you won’t hear them unless you go into tick over.

Better to be shouted at and for you to apologise than to get a black mark on your record.  Try driving through a red traffic light and claiming it was unavoidable due to conditions………

7 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I spend a lot of time on this canal and found the bridge keepers to be helpful and friendly.

Simply, if the lights are on you must obey the rules.

solid red - wait.  Do not cross the ‘stop line’. Though a blast on the horn if waiting more than a few mins is wise as the bridge keepers maybe having a tea, grass cutting or painting.  I have never had a complaint for horn blowing.  Though I always give then a few mins.

Flashing red means the bridge keeper has seen you.  Again, do not cross the ‘stop line’. However this does not mean anything will happen immediately, they may be waiting for a boat on the other side to get closer to avoid having the bridge open for too long - the locals complain.

Green - go.

If the lights are off it means the bridge is unmanned, if low enough to pass under, then proceed with caution.  If too high, phone Gloucester lock and ask advice, assuming you are calling during their open hours.

To be fair, you won’t hear them unless you go into tick over.

Better to be shouted at and for you to apologise than to get a black mark on your record.  Try driving through a red traffic light and claiming it was unavoidable due to conditions………

Yes I get that the volume needs to be higher in order to be heard but 'shouted at' to me implies that the tone and nature of keepers attitude stunk.

14 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Yes I get that the volume needs to be higher in order to be heard but 'shouted at' to me implies that the tone and nature of keepers attitude stunk.

I don't know if you have ever been on this bit of canal but it is much wider than "normal" canals and the bridge keeper is quite a bit above the water so if he/she doesn't shout, you aren't going to hear him/her. 

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I don't know if you have ever been on this bit of canal but it is much wider than "normal" canals and the bridge keeper is quite a bit above the water so if he/she doesn't shout, you aren't going to hear him/her. 

Ok I'll clarify/repeat.

'Shouted at' implies that the boater was somehow admonished in a loud manner, in the way a parent might admonish a child or teenager. 

Simply raising the volume of ones voice to impart instructions or advice across a large distance is not the same as 'shouting at' somebody.

I didnt use the term though so perhaps those that did could clarify.

2 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Ok I'll clarify/repeat.

'Shouted at' implies that the boater was somehow admonished in a loud manner, in the way a parent might admonish a child or teenager. 

Simply raising the volume of ones voice to impart instructions or advice across a large distance is not the same as 'shouting at' somebody.

I didnt use the term though so perhaps those that did could clarify.

I knew what you meant

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I knew what you meant

On some of the big locks up North it was common for the lock keepers to shout instructions from the tower if they needed you to do something especially if the big commercial boats were about.

The lockies on the five and three rises also had to to shout instructions sometimes.

I never once felt as if I was being 'shouted at'.