Fund Britain's Waterways. Birmingham Campaign Cruise. 12th - 13th August

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Fairly obviously, CRT have to be informed regarding number of attendees so they can charge FBW the correct amount for holding the event on CRT property.

I very nearly added that but thought I may be taking a step to far

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, IanD said:

AFAIK the calculations from FWB just took the current grant level and inflation-linked it to get constant real value, and showed that the proposed funding (which will fall in pounds and even more in real terms) over that period fell about £300M short. The maths is pretty simple...

"Abandoning a canal or two" sounds simple but isn't in reality, and it's debatable whether doing this (for the obvious expensive-to-maintain culprits) would actually save CART any money if they have to pay back part of the grants used to reopen them, as well as any legal costs including fighting the inevitable protests and possible appeals to the courts to keep them open.

You AFAIK wrong. The £300m came from CRT's press release following the government announcement.  

I would also point out that the current grant is not inflation linked. Indeed, in real terms, grant has been decreasing since 2015/16 due to inflation. If we compare Defra's new offer with carrying on the current £56.2m until 2037 and assume 3% inflation, then the difference would be a tad under £49m rather than £300m.

It is just as misleading as Defra's figures which suggest an increase in grant rather than a decrease ...

With regard to "abandoning a canal or two", that was said rather tongue in cheek. Although the law was changed back in 2012 to make it easier to do, CRT will probably resort to long to long term closures "until we have sufficient funds".  

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, IanD said:

BTW the petition signature count is up to 38000...

Some time back, I posted on facebook that this petition had just three signatures in four days.

The credit must go to Wandering Snail (Anne Husar), for picking up on this and giving it publicity.

I guess the problem was that *someone* had simply failed to inform FBW membership that the petition was online.

On 13/08/2023 at 14:08, Alan de Enfield said:

Shouldn't that be 'rack and ruin' ?

What do they teach kids these days "A-level make up your own language" ?

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Rack and ruin'?

To go to rack and ruin is to fall into a state of complete disrepair or destruction.

Should be wrack and ruin. I suspect spellchecker.

23 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Some time back, I posted on facebook that this petition had just three signatures in four days.

The credit must go to Wandering Snail (Anne Husar), for picking up on this and giving it publicity.

I guess the problem was that *someone* had simply failed to inform FBW membership that the petition was online.

Where can I find the petition?

• 1 month later...

“Uncertainty clouds IWA meeting as £450,000 deficit revealed”

Updated 3 October 2023

Been a few posts about the IWA involvement in this new campaign group, as they seam to be doing the Admin for it, then just seen this  on Twitter about the IWA’s £450K financial deficit in their accounts. Maybe not the best people to be doing the Admin/Finances??

Link to story below.

https://waterwaysworld.com/community/latest_news

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

38 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

“Uncertainty clouds IWA meeting as £450,000 deficit revealed”

Updated 3 October 2023

Been a few posts about the IWA involvement in this new campaign group, as they seam to be doing the Admin for it, then just seen this  on Twitter about the IWA’s £450K financial deficit in their accounts. Maybe not the best people to be doing the Admin/Finances??

Link to story below.

https://waterwaysworld.com/community/latest_news

Fund Britain's Waterways has a separate from the IWA donations pot with enough in it, at the moment.....feel free to donate though. 

25 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Fund Britain's Waterways has a separate from the IWA donations pot with enough in it, at the moment.....feel free to donate though. 

But who’s accounting for the donations? The same accountant who does the IWA accounts? 
 Sorry cant afford to donate as saving towards for my CaRT licence increase and I won’t be joining the IWA to bail them out of their financial problems, as reading that article they don't seam to have much time left as a credible organisation👍

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

33 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

But who’s accounting for the donations? The same accountant who does the IWA accounts? 
 Sorry cant afford to donate as saving towards for my CaRT licence increase and I won’t be joining the IWA to bail them out of their financial problems, as reading that article they don't seam to have much time left as a credible organisation👍

NABO are getting lots of new members. The council meeting today made some important decisions, join to find out and support.

19 minutes ago, Lady M said:

Can anyone please explain how donations to Fund Britain's Waterways are eligible for Gift Aid?

I'll ask.

4 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

NABO are getting lots of new members. The council meeting today made some important decisions, join to find out and support.

I imagine their new members are the Continuous Moorers around London who think NABO have so much power to force CaRT to do a ‘U’ Turn on their boats without a home mooring licence increase/surcharge. 

1 hour ago, Lady M said:

Can anyone please explain how donations to Fund Britain's Waterways are eligible for Gift Aid?

It's hard to see how this would be possible, as a) FBW is a coalition of many different organisations, many of which are not charities (eg boat clubs); and b) I don't believe FBW has yet been set up as a separate legal entity, let along a charity. 

However I think you could make a donation to IWA and ask for this to be used to support the FBW campaign.

7 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

No you said NABO not NBTA, maybe they too have had a recent upsurge in membership from the London continuous moorers thinking they've also got some influence in CaRTs decision making.

A far as I am aware NABO do not have a history of supporting law-breaking, p!ss-taking CMer non-movers, whilst that is the Baton Twirlers whole ethos.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A far as I am aware NABO do not have a history of supporting law-breaking, p!ss-taking CMer non-movers, whilst that is the Baton Twirlers whole ethos.

Never said they did, but I’m sure.these boating groups would of had a small increase in membership lately because of CaRTs recent proposal of Licence fee increases, especially if they bang their drum loud enough about fighting it.

16 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

From an FBW steering group member: The funds, although overseen by the FBW steering group, are held and managed by the IWA, which is a registered charity.

So will the gift aid donation go to the IWA? Reading that article the IWA seams to be in a bit of a crisis, not just with their finances.

36 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Never said they did, but I’m sure.these boating groups would of had a small increase in membership lately because of CaRTs recent proposal of Licence fee increases, especially if they bang their drum loud enough about fighting it.

No, but you did specifically suggest that the increasing number of new members were CMers - NABO don't support CMers.

12 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I imagine their new members are the Continuous Moorers around London .........................