Featured Posts

Has anyone done this recently? Is it easy enough to do on foot?

Thinking of spending a day there as a way of appeasing a couple of teens on board.

Quick look at Google maps seems it might be as simple as over the footbridge and up the road, is it that easy or will it be like The Cars That Ate Paris?

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Give them some money and point them in the right direction and let them get in with it.

I reckon we'll all go, then divide once paid in, meet up for food or dole out extra cash no doubt.

They can go on everything daft and i'll see what sedate rides J can persuade me on (i hate roller coasters etc. due to overactive imagination) :) 

There’s good moorings by the bridge. 
That nice footbridge with the towers either end. 
Ive never seen it full. 
Just the odd boat moored either side at most. 

If you have a pint in Fazeley, I’d recommend the Horseshoes. 
Good pint of Bass and a cob (or more likely roll/batch ) 

Last time I went to Drayton Manor Park was 40+ years ago. 
As kids a small group of us camped over the road by the bridge in the lane to the fields. 

• Greenie 1

We have usually stopped at the bottom of the locks at Body moor heath and gone for tea at the Dog & Doublet, got up early and boated to the bridge in the morning. The rides don't open until 10am or so. If you have already purchased tickets and have them on your phone you are straight in. Our two loved the place when they were younger, from Thomas Land to the bigger rides as they got older. 

If you have come from Fazeley Junction you will have to go to the bottom of the locks to wind

• Greenie 1

Nice walk along there wherever you moor (and as pointed out by others, the park itself is close to the turretted bridge)

Canal in that lined by water parks popular with birdwatchers and Middleton Hall is cool if you're happy to leave the teens to go to the park and wander in a different direction

image.png.e526db337fca45bbd85b13d46464a40f.png

18 hours ago, Goliath said:

If you have a pint in Fazeley, I’d recommend the Horseshoes. 
Good pint of Bass and a cob (or more likely roll/batch ) 

Sadly I will not go there now as a cheese cob/roll is £2.00. Plus the pub has become ultra dog friendly, signs in the bar saying "Keep dogs off the seats" "Clear up your dogs mess"

:(

He’s implying the pub is being over run with dogs and as much as I like dogs I can sympathise with Laurie. 
I do remember (it’s been a year since I’ve been in) it seemed to have become ok to have the dogs off lead and running around. I’m not sure that’s something I like but the locals seem happy with it. 

It was being revamped last time I was in and I used the bar in the extension. 
They had some proper good beer on, straight from the barrel on the shelf. 
Had a pint with Laurie and Alison (Nb Clarrie) as it happens. 

And of course the pub have their own mooring 👍

I see Fazeley Mill has had a big make over too. Looks like plenty of new ‘apartments’. 

I keep meaning to find out a little history on the big Saw Mill. Looks like it’s still going strong. 

Can't remember what we were drinking in there.

We moored outside the mill and was trying to work out whether it was offices or apartments.

The saw mill is still active, I think Steve was going to order some new top planks from there so he could pick them up from the bridge.

I should really have said Tolson’s Mill. 
And yeah, I believe it is all apartments. 

dunno what’s happened with the bit that was the wool shop. 
And I noticed the chapel opposite by the bridge is now residential. 

up and coming Fazeley!

perhaps a micro pub is on the offing?

6 hours ago, Goliath said:

It was being revamped last time I was in and I used the bar in the extension. 
They had some proper good beer on, straight from the barrel on the shelf. 
Had a pint with Laurie and Alison (Nb Clarrie) as it happens. 

And of course the pub have their own mooring 👍

I see Fazeley Mill has had a big make over too. Looks like plenty of new ‘apartments’. 

I keep meaning to find out a little history on the big Saw Mill. Looks like it’s still going strong. 

Good pub and great to be with you :)

7 hours ago, Goliath said:

He’s implying the pub is being over run with dogs and as much as I like dogs I can sympathise with Laurie. 
I do remember (it’s been a year since I’ve been in) it seemed to have become ok to have the dogs off lead and running around. I’m not sure that’s something I like but the locals seem happy with it. 

Yep, over run with dogs, I hate dogs jumping up on me and the owner saying"He's only being friendly" 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Good pub and great to be with you :)

Yep, over run with dogs, I hate dogs jumping up on me and the owner saying"He's only being friendly" 

Same with our rescue dogs on leads. Owner of other dog not on lead says its okay he's friendly. Reply, this one might not be if yours gets too close and starts bothering. Ours are under close control at all times. 

50 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

I hate dogs jumping up on me and the owner saying"He's only being friendly"

We get that all the time on the boat.  My stock answer (accurate too!) is that our cat isn't dog friendly - in fact she's a grumpy old lady who knows how to scratch noses and eyes off unsupervised dogs ...

They usually look shocked, and those owners who engage get the longer tale - she's done it before, she'll do it again and if you don't like the idea of your dog getting hurt, then keep it under control and off my cat's boat!

Yes, it's true.  She has seriously damaged dogs invading her territory.  She's 20 years old and still very sharp.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

Completely agree.

"Don't worry, he won't hurt you"

But it's fine you him/her to jump up and wipe his/her filthy paws all over my clean clothes???