Fund Britain's Waterways

Featured Posts

It's a great idea if it can get enough support and bring everyone together -- though I note the NBTA isn't on the list of supporters... 😉

The problem is that CART, the EA and Scottish Canals should be part of the campaign, not a target of it, because in the end it's [everyone interested in seeing the canals continue as a workable system] vs. [the government]... 😞

I've had a look at the website with a view to donating, and it's not clear whether this goes to the FBW group or the IWA -- anyone know?

Edited by IanD

If you click through you get to this

Screenshot_2023-06-27-15-51-49-958_com.android.chrome.jpg.f0ce7168fbada839b1a271e1ed7d6a7e.jpg

I think it is an IWA thing but interesting to see that one has to fill out full details on the payment page before you actually know who you are paying ! 

Really unclear, it takes you via this page -- is the "Save Waterways Heritage appeal" something different to the "Fund Britains Waterways" group? Does it all go to the IWA in the end, or into a different funding bucket?

Screenshot 2023-06-27 160231.jpg

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is this the group organising the protest rally in Brum in August?

Yes.

40 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Isn’t it just the Inland Waterways Association?

This getting together of as many groups as possible was initiated by NABO but as IWA has the staff and set up, it's taken over organising. Donations should be ringfenced for the FBW fund only but I'll try to get confirmation of this.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Yes.

This getting together of as many groups as possible was initiated by NABO but as IWA has the staff and set up, it's taken over organising. Donations should be ringfenced for the FBW fund only but I'll try to get confirmation of this.

They need to be careful to do this; people who might donate to FBW (because it might have enough clout to actually get something done) might not donate to the IWA (because it doesn't)...

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Isn’t it just the Inland Waterways Association?

No it iwas initially a joint interest between IWA and NABO but the ere are many other organisation also involved. They are listed in the press release.

Howard

5 minutes ago, howardang said:

No it iwas initially a joint interest between IWA and NABO but the ere are many other organisation also involved. They are listed in the press release.

Howard

They need to sort out their funding/donations webpage then, and make it clear where any donation is going...

Is the plan to target C&RT etc?

It reads more like Government will be the target .

Not sure C&RT etc would necessarily be able to join a protest campaign. It doesn't seem to me C&RT are any good at campaigning for more funds which is why others see a need to act.

The general wellbeing and public health aspect to non boating public is perhaps a way to win public support rather than asking for support to keep perceived rich boat owners in a position to navigate.

Unfortunately most non boating people are unaware of the general geography of  the inland  waterways so it may be difficult to win support when other things dominate the news and quite rightly take priority.

53 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

As said they need to sort the web page out as it looks like an IWA led thing. Also it was mentioned previously that the IWA has taking over the organising as they have the staff and the press release states “IWA is giving its full support to FBW and is providing the secretariat and administrative functions” I take it they won’t be doing it for free?

Looking at the short list of organisations involvedI I doubt most narrowboaters will relate to them, never mind the general public.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

I get the feeling the de-funding and collapse of the navigable canal network was at first an accidental oversight by the government (too busy doing other stuff etc) but by chance, it will actually save (estimate) about 100m off of the HS2 budget so its now a policy.

On 27/06/2023 at 17:36, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Looking at the short list of organisations involvedI I doubt most narrowboaters will relate to them, never mind the general public.

Well I am a member of NABO and IWA  but maybe I am not most boaters 

• Happy 1

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well I am a member of NABO and IWA  but maybe I am not most boaters 

Have you massively benefited being a member of these organisations compared to someone who’s not? Any discounts on moorings, Cart License, Insurance, BSS discounts. Just interested in what real world advantages they give. 

On 27/06/2023 at 15:24, IanD said:

It's a great idea if it can get enough support and bring everyone together -- though I note the NBTA isn't on the list of supporters... 😉

That'll be because the NBTA are users and takers, not givers and fixers. 

It will be much the same as the Save Our System protests in 2009/10 about BW funding.

Protests including blocking the use of canals and what happened SFA !

Well not exactly true it pushed the formation of CaRT forward.

There was even an EDM in parliament

https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/39776/inland-waterways-and-funding

Edited by GUMPY

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

If you are joining a campaigning charity for what you can get out of it you are joining for the wrong reasons. 

That’s it I’m not. I just wanted to know a bit more about them from members. 
  Maybe they could campaign to get something done about the Northern canals, as I hear all the routes over the Pennines are closed due to stoppages. Maybe they’re more active campaigning in the South East and West?

8 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

That’s it I’m not. I just wanted to know a bit more about them from members. 
  Maybe they could campaign to get something done about the Northern canals, as I hear all the routes over the Pennines are closed due to stoppages. Maybe they’re more active campaigning in the South East and West?

If you don't join or do your own research, you will never know what boating organisations are doing for boaters.

• Greenie 1

Boaters have been complaining for years that there's no longer any effective campaigning body with wide enough support to apply pressure to fix things on the canals, maybe like the IWA used to do in "the old days".

Now there seems to be an initiative to form such a body, some either say "there's no point, it's all going to hell in a handbasket" or ask "What's in it for me?".

Sometimes it seems to me that boaters are their own worst enemies... 😞

• Greenie 3