Braunston Historic Boat Event 24th and 25th June - That's this weekend.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

it’s a replica as you probably know. Isn’t part of the engine or boiler from Monarch too?

I guess it’s less new than parts of some of these historics hulls? 

Is it a certified replica? According to R W Davies, Northwich Traders are replica's. Are they now allowed

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Is it a certified replica? According to R W Davies, Northwich Traders are replica's. Are they now allowed

Which Northwich are they claiming to replicate. Nice though they are, I have never seen an original Yarwoods narrowboat that bears more than a passing resemblence to the R.W.Davis Northwich Traders.

35 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Amazing to see boats we knew or owned way back in such shiny paint jobs which we never managed, strange to see Raymond at Braunston without Arthur . Great turn out all round.

You kept them going when otherwise it’s quite possible they would have joined the many others in a scrapyard /muddy end.

We have much to thank you for that.

There weren’t that many painters able to do the business as they can now and paints have improved too. Besides seeing pictures yours was not a neatly packaged cleanish  coal business or life for some  like now 😂

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

Amazing to see boats we knew or owned way back in such shiny paint jobs which we never managed, strange to see Raymond at Braunston without Arthur . Great turn out all round.

Dave, just for you, not at Braunston but at Sutton Stop.

Also when retired on Poacher.

I went Saturday morning but sadly no longer am I able to bring "my historic NarrowBoat Captain." 
Mike back row, second from left.

Arthur Bray at Sutton's.jpg

Arthur Bray.jpg

Mike Humphris 001.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 4

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Not a very close replica as it is steel not wood.

Also the original was not a narrow beamed boat of 7' or less, I believe.  I think it was decidedly more than 7 feet.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Not a very close replica as it is steel not wood.

Also the original was not a narrow beamed boat of 7' or less, I believe.  I think it was decidedly more than 7 feet.

So why is it allowed to parade at Braunston 

36 minutes ago, Tonka said:

So why is it allowed to parade at Braunston 

Because Braunston Marina own the event, so they can set the rules.  To some extent that must be down to what they think will bring in the cash.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Because Braunston Marina own the event, so they can set the rules.  To some extent that must be down to what they think will bring in the cash.

Or can you pay Tim and be allowed to parade

We came through Braunston a few years back, and accidently joined the parade in our boring 57ft cruiser stern because it was the only way from one end to the other. I believe we were directly behind President, and our boat name was announced as we went past. Great fun but quite scary as we were novices and the traffic was very slow and required much careful manoeuvring. 

• Happy 1

On 23/06/2023 at 08:55, alan_fincher said:

There are a fair number of historics already here, but an awful lot still needed to meet the numbers suggested to me by the organisers a few days ago.

I have updated my list on the first page of this thread and got to 76 boats. How does that compare with what the organisers were expecting?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I have updated my list on the first page of this thread and got to 76 boats. How does that compare with what the organisers were expecting?

You’ve missed out Nautilus. I’ve not looked through the list in detail to see if any others were missed off yet. 

It's been nice to see Pegasus out and about over the last couple of weeks, I'm not sure the history but I get the impression it's only recently that Michael Pinnock has got it fully restored again and working on the fuel runs on the Lee Navigation.

7 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

It's been nice to see Pegasus out and about over the last couple of weeks, I'm not sure the history but I get the impression it's only recently that Michael Pinnock has got it fully restored again and working on the fuel runs on the Lee Navigation.

I also don't know the detail, but you are correct that it is a very recent renovation.  It looked very smart.

On 26/06/2023 at 08:26, Grahamnewman said:

92 were booked in and 82 turned up plus one more on Sunday.

Thank you Graham - a sensible number in my view.  In the past when close to the "magic" 100, it has all felt a bit unmanagable.

Edited by alan_fincher