When the plonker on the lock mooring doesn't think he is.

noddyboater

Featured Posts

"Steve!  There's no room above the lock landing.." 

"Oh bugger,  well I can't be arsed to find the pins and hammer. Tell you what,  let's tie up here but use piling hooks instead of the bollards,  we're not really using the lock landing then are we? And we'll be off by lunchtime tomorrow"

Brilliant. 

• Angry 1

Last time I met that concept was on the Llangollen. Luckily, I arrived (singlehanding) at the lock at a comfortably 5am, tied up to them, clambered noisily over their back deck and worked the lock.

Apart from a curtain twitch, I saw no sign of them, but I suspect they didn't do it again.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

There has to a word to describe this aspect of modern thinking

Selfish, not thinking of others, "what do WE care or maybe a "Jed"

He was a boater, who I encountered in the 1990's who justified his actions as being on the canal for years and did not care if those passing through the lock were inconvenienced and his big black dog of uncertain breed would bark and growl at anybody who approached what I seem to guess had been an early hire boat, but was loaded on the roof with wood and canal detritus and large BSA type bicycle lodged on the front.

Never found out his name, but a BW worker ( there were some in those days) at another lock called him Jed

2 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

I came across a boater who was painting his boat in a lock, he seemed a bit annoyed that I wanted to use it to get to my destination. He did move though. This was at Longwood.

I never thought of that. A really good idea as you can get round both sides without turning the boat round, if it wasn't for people like Laurie interfering...

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I never thought of that. A really good idea as you can get round both sides without turning the boat round, if it wasn't for people like Laurie interfering...

It was a great idea and made sense what he was doing. He did explain that no one uses the lock at that time of year, trust me to be the one to *ugger up his system :)

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

There has to a word to describe this aspect of modern thinking

Selfish, not thinking of others, "what do WE care or maybe a "Jed"

He was a boater, who I encountered in the 1990's who justified his actions as being on the canal for years and did not care if those passing through the lock were inconvenienced and his big black dog of uncertain breed would bark and growl at anybody who approached what I seem to guess had been an early hire boat, but was loaded on the roof with wood and canal detritus and large BSA type bicycle lodged on the front.

Never found out his name, but a BW worker ( there were some in those days) at another lock called him Jed

That description rings a bell, though it might have been another annoying scrote that I met somewhere else.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You would probably get away with it three days a week up there. Just have a friendly word with the Volockies and get into the bottom Bosley lock.

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You would probably get away with it three days a week up there. Just have a friendly word with the Volockies and get into the bottom Bosley lock.

Could do your blacking in drained pounds whilst you're at it...

There are some locks with chambers adjacent but not in use. If a couple were put back into operation for boaters' personal use, maybe the CRT could benefit from the additional revenue, but then the CRT seems unwilling to help boaters and are keen to assist rogue cyclists instead!

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

There are some locks with chambers adjacent but not in use. If a couple were put back into operation for boaters' personal use, maybe the CRT could benefit from the additional revenue, but then the CRT seems unwilling to help boaters and are keen to assist rogue cyclists instead!

The adjacent pounds sound like a good place to put rogue cyclist's bikes

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

There's a lock on the canal de Jonction near Narbonne that has exactly that set up, a dry dock to one side of the lock. We went through the lock whilst a big péniche was in there being pressure washed and re-blacked.

ETA Name of canal is now correct, I blame my memory for having called it the canal de la Robine, which is about 500 metres later, I think.

This video shows the lock/dry Dock system.

Edited by Stilllearning

Here's one. On the lock mooring,  quite obviously - but tied to the piling with chains. (Centre line is around bollard too, just to make sure the boat heels over well as people use the lock)

Extended TV aerial up, bike chained up on towpath. 

There from approx. 4PM Wednesday until noon yesterday when he was politely asked to BLOODY MOVE.

Screenshot_20230622-162808_Gallery.jpg

42 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Here's one. On the lock mooring,  quite obviously - but tied to the piling with chains. (Centre line is around bollard too, just to make sure the boat heels over well as people use the lock)

Extended TV aerial up, bike chained up on towpath. 

There from approx. 4PM Wednesday until noon yesterday when he was politely asked to BLOODY MOVE.

Screenshot_20230622-162808_Gallery.jpg

Did he/she? 

Just now, Jon57 said:

You didn't have a cassette in your hand at the time did you 🤣

Unfortunately not, just a strimmer. 

31 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Looks like Woodend Lock, there is a good section of lock moorings and then a good length of piling.  It is hard to tell how much lock mooring is in front of them.

He was in the middle of the lock moorings,  but that's not really relevant is it. It's a busy spot with waiting boats queuing back around the bend into the woods often. 

To sit on the lock mooring for that amount of time is selfish and rude.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Unfortunately not, just a strimmer. 

He was in the middle of the lock moorings,  but that's not really relevant is it. It's a busy spot with waiting boats queuing back around the bend into the woods often. 

To sit on the lock mooring for that amount of time is selfish and rude.

I was just pointing out that there is a good length of moorings there which aren't the lock mooring.