Pump out tank

carp-addict

Featured Posts

Hi all I am looking for advice I am in the process of decommissioning my pump out toilet.

The tank will remain in situ for the foreseeable but I need advice for the best way to clean out the inside with a view that eventually it will dry out inside without any odours. 

Is this something that can be achieved

Regards

Pump it out, flushing if you can.  Then dose it with Jeye's Fluid, a gallon will be ample, fill it completely with water and let it stand for a week before pumping out. If there is a port, vac it out with a wet 'n dry vac and let it dry out.

• Greenie 1

The top of a steel tank can be very corroded, but the bottom and sides are often "pickled" in that the tank contents have done no harm, but may have preserved the metal somehow.

Check very carefully the state of the tank top, if it's not sound, then complete removal may be the only way to stop smells.  Be aware the bottom of the tank may be the base plate of the boat, so don't cut it out!

If it has an inspection plate, then it's in with a hose pipe and scrubbing brush, followed by pump out and rinse.

This is the true meaning of D.I.Y!

Bod

Edited by Bod
  • Greenie 1

When I removed Belfast's steel pumpout tanks they had been emptied with a normal boatyard pumpout machine, with some extra rinsing. When I came to remove them a few months later there was about an inch of liquid inside, which was pretty inoffensive. There was a little sludge in the bottom, but that seemed to be mostly rust from the corroded tank top, rather than anything of human origin. 

I had to cut the top off my tanks to get inside, but if you have an inspection hatch there may be no need. I would suggest a good rinsing out - you could use a bilge pump to remove most of the liquid and follow up with a sponge or cloth, then leave the tank open for a while to fully dry out, if you think that is necessary - some clean(ish) water left in there isn't going to do any harm.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, MrsM said:

A really good description of the process. I live in fear of our rank rusting through in places like yours had. Can I ask how old your boat is? M

Mine was about 25 years old when I took it out. The 3mm bottom and lower sides were in almost new condition - no worries about leakage, but the top was like lace, after banging and shoving to remove it loosened the paint and rust.

• Horror 1

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

What a horrible situation. I wonder what idiot came up with the idea of mild steel built-in pumpout tanks, especially ones where the boat's baseplate is the bottom of the tank? 

David Piper for one.

The bottom is rarely the problem, its always the top that rots first. I wonder why the builders never realised this and used thicker plate for the top.

I doubt that the boat builders 40 and 50 years ago ever thought about their boats lasting as long as many have.

Never used it on a water tank, but for efficient drying I use an old cylinder vacuum.cleaner that blows as well.as sucks. The hose nozzle can be put in inaccessible places and can blast water droplets out of corners and crevices. Very effective at de-icing the heat exchangers of freezers.  The blown air is warm due to having cooled the motor. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

On 06/06/2023 at 10:09, MrsM said:

A really good description of the process. I live in fear of our rank rusting through in places like yours had. Can I ask how old your boat is? M

The tank was 14 years old when we took it out

Steve