Cost to fit a shower

bigfatmatt

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

It take about a week that plenty of time to do whole room and say pay some one 1500 and materials say 1500 

all in 3000 grand 

There yer go. Feeby will do it for you for three grand. 

Make sure he signs a written contract. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MtB said:

At the equator at midday perhaps.....

Back here in the real world a shade less I would suggest.

Oh yeah, 1000W of panels never generate 1000W. 😅

If you get 15% of that you’re doing well.

4 hours ago, bigfatmatt said:

I’m looking at buying a liveaboard, there’s a couple that look great but don’t have a shower.

Anyone paid to have a shower fitted recently (or done it themselves?) and know what to expect in terms of price?

Looking for a basic set up.

We replaced our boat bathroom ourselves, new shower unit, basin, doors, tiling, cabinets, etc etc.

Ended up costing around £1500 - was an absolute faff though because of the shape and size of the bathroom. Also took a whole lot longer than we anticipated also, due to waiting for certain parts to arrive. 

Had to get very specific parts to fit around the space requirements, which added to the frustration. We were both working at time, so everything has to be done on evenings and weekends when not moving. I'd say it took about 3 - 4 months of time in end.

I'm sure there's plumbers out there who would do boats, and do 'em quickly, but I'd imagine they would charge you a fair amount extra to deal with the 'novelty' of it.

Worth noting, we already had a gas water heater and plumbing system in place, so it was just a rip out and refit.

1 minute ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

We replaced our boat bathroom ourselves, new shower unit, basin, doors, tiling, cabinets, etc etc.

Ended up costing around £1500 - was an absolute faff though because of the shape and size of the bathroom. Also took a whole lot longer than we anticipated also, due to waiting for certain parts to arrive. 

Had to get very specific parts to fit around the space requirements, which added to the frustration. We were both working at time, so everything has to be done on evenings and weekends when not moving. I'd say it took about 3 - 4 months of time in end.

I'm sure there's plumbers out there who would do boats, and do 'em quickly, but I'd imagine they would charge you a fair amount extra to deal with the 'novelty' of it.

Worth noting, we already had a gas water heater and plumbing system in place, so it was just a rip out and refit.

This gives me some hope. I could live in the marina while doing the work (they have showers) and all the boats I’m looking at already have plumbing to the room.

Food for thought I guess.

With that name I have to ask, did you ever play a game called Heroes of Newerth?

Edited by bigfatmatt
  • Happy 1

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Long ago after a near-unbelievable amount of time spent planning and designing, we crammed a full sized shower and separate bedroom into Starcoaster's 30ft Springer.

Matty fitted it which I think took him about three times longer than he expected...

I remember the cursing and swearing

Impractical in the space available. Converting to a walk through shower room would give no privacy, too many windows, you could get arrested for exposure.

I have done a similar boat, 900mm X 500mm special tray on one side, lavatory and basin on the other with a door that when open fitted across the corridor giving privacy one side, but there was more room than you have on this boat. And that one cost quite a lot and took over a week to do the woodwork etc.

22 hours ago, bigfatmatt said:

Cheers, that’s about the ballpark I was expecting given the boat is about £10k cheaper than others in her size and fit-out class and doesn’t seem to be selling.

The boat looks miniscule, OK for a weekend in summer, but it's not a liveaboard imho. (⁠ㆁ⁠ω⁠ㆁ⁠)

You'll probably get better value if you can find a liveaboard plastic ie GRP like @harrybsmith

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

Hang on, I've got a 32ft boat I'm about to sell, with a shower (and many other things) that's had all work there possibly is to do to it done for under £20k. Has been a comfortable liveaboard for 6 years

Definitely interested, whereabouts is she and can I get some pics?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Q :  What does an old woman have between her boobs that a young one doesn't ?

A : Her belly-button.

20230408_230233.thumb.jpg.9ea81f718caf5092cf32723f6142f1fc.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Just a way of highlighting that cultural norms when you and I were at school and growing up have moved on since then. If this forum is to be a welcoming place to boaters with different ages and backgrounds, it needs to be well distanced from certain 60s, 70s,80s schoolboy humour. I know, I was one once. 

On 07/04/2023 at 19:00, bigfatmatt said:

I’m looking at buying a liveaboard, there’s a couple that look great but don’t have a shower.

Anyone paid to have a shower fitted recently (or done it themselves?) and know what to expect in terms of price?

Looking for a basic set up.

Petit Hibou | Narrowboat for Sale | Aqueduct Marina, Cheshire @bigfatmatt

Edited by ditchcrawler

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thats a nice looking little boat - but with no 'fire' and no heating it is probably not that great as a liveaboard.

Not even much room to put any radiators - but possibly a hot air blower installed under a bench** / cupboard would do the job.

**An ideal spot would be where the air vent (and fire extinguisher) are in the bench-end.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thats a nice looking little boat - but with no 'fire' and no heating it is probably not that great as a liveaboard.

Not even much room to put any radiators - but possibly a hot air blower installed under a bench** / cupboard would do the job.

**An ideal spot would be where the air vent (and fire extinguisher) are in the bench-end.

Saw an interesting installation of a blown air heater last time out. Heater out on the roof and air duct down the back cabin chimney 

DSCF7578.JPG

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting exhaust install.

Guessing it is 'portable' and is removed for a day every 4 years.

I doubt it. 

Judging from the photo there are several indicators that look to me as though this could be a stealth boat. In which case no BSS (or license) is necessary. 

Edited by MtB

41 minutes ago, sueb said:

I'm really surprised at the length of boat people are considering to live on. When we boated 58' was the aspiration, then it became 70'long and 14' wide, now 30' seams to be wanted.

I think my ideal is 57-58’ but that’s out of my budget, living on a 30-40 for a few years will give me the opportunity to learn what I like, what I don’t like and save up for the forever boat I want to spend the rest of my healthy life on.

I’ve lived in cars, tents and grew up month-long tripping on a 32’ Dawncraft. I don’t spend a huge amount of my time ‘at home’ except to work.

Edited by bigfatmatt