Pump Out Removal

SandyD

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Out pumpout tank is Knackered and we want it out and replaced by a cassette. I have approached a couple of marinas (Braunston, Hillmorton, Calcutt) the soonest they could do this so far is June/July can any one reccomend somwhere else that might be able to do this work sooner? (we are based at Calcutt),

Sandy

That is what a friend did here with their fat boat.  DIY, removal.  They didn't cut it up down below, but getting the massive tank off the boat was the hardest part.  You also need to work out where you want to pull the cassette out, as you need space to do so. You don't really want it coming out into the bedroom.

There is a reason they all say there is such a long wait.

It is a shit job.

Lead times for tanks , especially bespoke sizes , are very long.

It is a shit job.

Any decent boatyard has masses of booked work, 2 months is NOT a long wait.

It is a shit job.

Try Warwickshire Fly, new team have just taken over??

Edited by matty40s

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It is a shit job.

Going back about 8 years we bought a NB, which was ex-hire and had been retired from the fleet at aged 4 years. The buyer wanted the holding tank removing and a cassette toilet fitting which meant a lot of 'changing around' in the bathroom, and a big hole under the bed down to the base plate.

Removal, 'making good' the floor, walls and everything, installing the cassette toilet and building a wardrobe between the bed and the toilet wall that had now moved cost £11,000 and that was around 10 years ago.

I had all receipts for materials and labour in the 'boat folder'. so it was not a fictitious sum.

Its a job that 'you will pay dearly for' as many will try and price you out of doing it.

Just now, SandyD said:

Alan I belive you are correct, but the tank leaks and the seams are gone so it has to come out!

So the old saying BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand will need to be updated to BOATT

"Bring Out Another Ten Thousand".

Good luck - hoping you can find someone to give you a reasonable price.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, SandyD said:

Alan I belive you are correct, but the tank leaks and the seams are gone so it has to come out!

Can you not just pump it out as clean as you can, cap the hole, and start using a cassette loo until someone can fit you in for the work?

Or are you space limited due to the style of pumpout? I know the dump-through on the old shareboat took up a chunk of bathroom floorspace as they sit atop one end of the tank.

Is it an integral tank where the boat hull makes up two sides of it, or a standalone tank? This will also have a bearing on things.

• Greenie 1

I've done two tanks over the last 40 years 

First was a dump through removed the toilet and then found the tank was just sitting between two cross members so a couple of us lifted it out and took it to the metal recycling at the tip😱

The second one was a leaky tank at the top it sits under the wardrobe / bed. Thoroughly pumped it out 6 or 7 times then removed the macerator toilet plugged the holes  and fitted a cassette in its place. I was going to fill the tank with spray foam but never got round to it and 9 years later it's still there🥴

1 hour ago, SandyD said:

Hi all,

Out pumpout tank is Knackered and we want it out and replaced by a cassette. I have approached a couple of marinas (Braunston, Hillmorton, Calcutt) the soonest they could do this so far is June/July can any one reccomend somwhere else that might be able to do this work sooner? (we are based at Calcutt),

Sandy

Frankly I'm surprised any of them is willing to do it so soon. As I think Matty will confirm, its a shit job and with shit jobs, tradesmen who don't want to do it but are too wussy to say so, tend in my experience to say yes but give ridiculously long lead times in the hope you'll just go away

Any yard willing to do it in just 8 weeks is champing at the bit, I reckon !

P.S. having done it once myself, it WAS a shit job. 

Just now, Loddon said:

First was a dump through removed the toilet and then found the tank was just sitting between two cross members so a couple of us lifted it out and took it to the metal recycling at the tip😱

This is what I think we have in ours.

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Can you not just pump it out as clean as you can, cap the hole, and start using a cassette loo until someone can fit you in for the work?

I think this is what we are going to have to do

4 hours ago, SandyD said:

Hi all,

Sandy

Try Alvecote Marina. Speak to Lawrence. He may be able to help.

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe fill the tank with compost and throw it in a CRT bin. 

Illegal!!!

Put it in a brightly coloured bag and hang it from the nearest bush/tree where the dog poo fairy can see it and sort it out for you ;) 

On 04/04/2023 at 12:39, Hudds Lad said:

Any suggestions on how to cap the hole?

5 minutes ago, SandyD said:

Capping off may be a short term fix so we have somwhere to put a porta potti!

But unless you can clean it out properly , drain, and seal the leaks (as well as capping-off) you are still going to have an 'unpleasant atmosphere' and 'dirty 'water dribbles'.

Your boat to do with as you want, but sometimes it is better to bite the bullet and get it done properly.