Repetition, deviation, hesitation

MrFish

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Paul C said:

low quality posts on this forum

Now that's an interesting, and perhaps startling, concept. What, in your view, makes a post "low quality">

- Poor use of English?

- Paucity of ideas?

- Disagreeing with another member?

- claiming that Doombar is a delicious and characterful beer?

...and who shall be their arbiter? I for one don't want to spend my time giving each post marks out of ten.

10 hours ago, bizzard said:

Don't bother about it. They say that after a few weeks the body's natural oils seal the stink in, although smelly feet can persist.

Beware of folk wearing Chelsie boots almost always worn to try and seal the pong in.

That's good. I thought there had to be some advantages to feeling like I've been using Fry Light as a body mist. Thanks for the tip re the boots. 

But sorry, I'm getting off topic again, you were talking about toy boats not personal hygiene! Actually I'm currently working on scaling up the engine from a pop-pop boat to fit in our narrow boat, but thus far I haven't been able to find a lilt can big enough.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, alias said:

I think boat ownership might be a bit of a red herring.  Did the people you are talking about only start to behave as you describe once they had sold their boats, or was it a longer term habit?

15 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Forum title is Canalworld.net, not expensive shiny boats dot net.  It's supposed to be about the canals and inland waterways. If you like the wildlife, walking the towpath, kayaking it or pay a stupid amount for a little plastic tub to stay in the water, this is a forum for people with an interest in these waterways, their history, their current perilous state and their future. 

These, I think, state the case perfectly. There was no need to bring boat ownership into the thread. By all means complain about specific members who seem to delight in taking threads well away from the topic, but do t via the mods, not general attacks on specific sectors of the membership.

42 minutes ago, Paul C said:

It all got a bit messy, because you wrote so much. I tried to extract the relevant part but alas I am on a mobile phone since I’m out and about (by a canal, as it happens). I did manage to quote the right part eventually; and I have edited my post to include the missing “never”.

I’m not implying non boaters should be banned - and I feel I ought to pull you up on drawing that conclusion from what I’ve said. It’s like 2+2=17

My point is, on some of the more low quality posts on this forum (I DO NOT include you in those, but I think we can all relate to the type of negativity observed), it is clear that certain members take for granted the free use of their soap box to type drivel and/or personal attacks on others, and aren’t that bothered if the overall effect is to drive away new members or muddy up useful threads into a social media slanging match.

We all know who the regular offenders are, and I, for one, put them on "ignore"

I sold my boat in 2016 after fifty years of boating and no longer own a boat, or go boating. Does that put me into your catagory of people who are not invested in this forum, which I joined on it's first day?

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

We all know who the regular offenders are, and I, for one, put them on "ignore"

I sold my boat in 2016 after fifty years of boating and no longer own a boat, or go boating. Does that put me into your catagory of people who are not invested in this forum, which I joined on it's first day?

Perhaps it was unfair to try and generalise or categorise the “regular offenders” into a more vague category, which also reflects their non-ownership. 

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Perhaps it was unfair to try and generalise or categorise the “regular offenders” into a more vague category, which also reflects their non-ownership. 

I still don't see what non-ownership of boats has got to do with anything 

11 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I don't think it's anything to do with ownership, it's a general intolerance of people who want different things from their boating to the poster, who makes the assumption that their way is "the best" (which it might well be for them, but not everyone) and proceeds to tell everyone else that they're *wrong*... 😉

This comes up with toilets, engines, bow thrusters, types of hull/stern, boat layout, kitchen equipment, washers/dishwashers, heating, windows, internal fitout, anchors, windlasses, weed hatches, wide/narrow boats, owners/hirers/non-owners -- the list is endless. And let's not even get started on CART, or politics... 😞

The forum would be a much nicer place if more people realised that not everyone wants the same things from a boat or boating as they do, and there's rarely any absolute "wrong" or "right" here -- after all the world would be a very boring place if everyone thought the same, wouldn't it?

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

Imagine it's like a pub

A dozen or so of you are around and someone asks about getting new headlight bulbs for their 2012 Ford Fiesta.

One says that Carparts is best, another says Europarts may be cheaper, yet another says how about Bob's Discount Parts, then in a complete segue when Fred remembers that he saw Doris in Bob's last week, he tells everyone that's she's safe and well these days, so they all start reminiscing about the time when they got smashed with her and late husband at a barbeque.

Thread drift exists in real life.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Imagine it's like a pub

A dozen or so of you are around and someone asks about getting new headlight bulbs for their 2012 Ford Fiesta.

One says that Carparts is best, another says Europarts may be cheaper, yet another says how about Bob's Discount Parts, then in a complete segue when Fred remembers that he saw Doris in Bob's last week, he tells everyone that's she's safe and well these days, so they all start reminiscing about the time when they got smashed with her and late husband at a barbeque.

Thread drift exists in real life.

Doris sounds great.  Can we hear more about her?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Doris sounds great.  Can we hear more about her?

She's probably in her late seventies with a tractor in the shed and a smallholding with chickens. That's why she was in Bob's. Yes, Doris is great but purely fictional.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

She's probably in her late seventies with a tractor in the shed and a smallholding with chickens. That's why she was in Bob's. Yes, Doris is great but purely fictional.

I'm just glad she's recovered.  It's amazing the damage you can do with an electric can opener.

Just now, Morris said:

I'm just glad she's recovered.  It's amazing the damage you can do with an electric can opener.

I didn't realise she'd had an accident like that, but they can be dangerous things. She never had that problem with the Fowler's patented steam can opener

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Are you telling me that Ma Pardoe was fictional?

• Greenie 1

I didn't realise she'd had an accident like that, but they can be dangerous things. She never had that problem with the Fowler's patented steam can opener

Yep, but it's that old 'kitchen worktop space/safety' tradeoff isn't it. 

Not being from the midlands I had to Google that reference!

I just happen to be wearing this today -- more than 40 years old and still going strong... 😉

20230404_112359.jpg

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Morris said:

Yep, but it's that old 'kitchen worktop space/safety' tradeoff isn't it. 

But you have to admit that the steam powered washing machine made from recycled beer barrels was a work of art

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I presume she likes the occassional drop of sweet sherry?

I reckon Doris can sup more than a few sweet sherries. Pints of bitter and a few rum chasers

Anyone viewing this thread and going to 'view last post' will wonder WTF is this all about, read that it's about thread drift and then wonder whether it's some kind of meta exercise. We can get ChatGPT to start creating the history of Doris, but it will probably tell us that she's dead, when in fact she's fully alive as attested by Fred who saw her in Bob's.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Let’s hope the pub is still going in another 40 yrs👍

Given that there was recently an announcement that it's at risk of closing, I certainly hope so too... 😞

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/dudley/netherton/2022/10/26/lifeline-for-historic-ma-pardoes-pub-after-landlords-closed-by-christmas-warning/

https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/bulletins/pub-heritage-bulletin-236-oct-2022

Edited by IanD