Repetition, deviation, hesitation

MrFish

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

That sounds like the sort of project where you need to collaborate with @bizzard!

Actually, I wrote a long story of a pop pop narrowboat on here years ago, called ''the phut phut boat'' and of how Trixie danced up and down the tube to keep in on the right level with the water for best performance.. I might search for it in the archives.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Another forum I post in regularly (nothing to do with boats) has the polar opposite policy. If a thread drift begins, off-topic posts get deleted and a note added to the thread by the mod reminding people to stay on-topic and inviting them to start a new thread on their off topic subject. Often on a different, more appropriate board just as the virtual pub.

And presumably that forum has mods on duty full time to intervene as soon as the discussion drifts. That sounds for more demanding of moderators than the light touch we have here.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And presumably that forum has mods on duty full time to intervene as soon as the discussion drifts. That sounds for more demanding of moderators than the light touch we have here.

Yes, a completely unrealistic expectation.

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Nope. Well sort of.

Its traffic is about 10% of the traffic on here but there are swarms of mods all part time, but each only responsible for a tiny section of the forum. Two or three higher ranked mods have responsibility for bigger sections but because there are so many, none has very much work to do. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Nope. Well sort of.

Its traffic is about 10% of the traffic on here but there are swarms of mods all part time, but each only responsible for a tiny section of the forum. Two or three higher ranked mods have responsibility for bigger sections but because there are so many, none has very much work to do. 

You'll get a mods job yet Mike...

Keep trying.

That said, I think the idea has merit. On a site I once modded on it worked exactly like this.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Nope. Well sort of.

Is there not a danger that the modding isn't of the same level throughout the forum if you have different mods for different sections?

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Nope. Well sort of.

I'm not sure I want swarms of mods on here. I know they're recruiting another one, but generally we get by ok with the couple who seem most active. We may be occasionally rumbustious and one or two can be deliberately provocative, but generally we act pretty reasonably. A lot of the spats are down to misunderstood jokes. It's worse in winter when there's less boating and the dark draws in.

25 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm not sure I want swarms of mods on here. I know they're recruiting another one, but generally we get by ok with the couple who seem most active. We may be occasionally rumbustious and one or two can be deliberately provocative, but generally we act pretty reasonably. A lot of the spats are down to misunderstood jokes. It's worse in winter when there's less boating and the dark draws in.

And late at night when drink may have been taken... 😉

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

the couple who seem most active.

I make that three: Magpie Patrick, Buccaneer 66 and A.N. Other. A couple of others have dropped in from time to time to say hello and collect their post, but of late their visits could probably be counted on the fingers of one hand by a three-toed sloth.

I haven't noticed any of us being deliberately provocative, though of course provocation can often be accidental.

11 hours ago, IanD said:

And late at night when drink may have been taken... 😉

It's hard to prove, but there could be a correlation, yes.

I make it a rule not to undertake any moderation duties before the end of my first mug of coffee in the morning or after the end of my first pint of beer in the evening, so I'm strictly diurnal.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I make that three: Magpie Patrick, Buccaneer 66 and A.N. Other. A couple of others have dropped in from time to time to say hello and collect their post, but of late their visits could probably be counted on the fingers of one hand by a three-toed sloth.

I haven't noticed any of us being deliberately provocative, though of course provocation can often be accidental.

It's hard to prove, but there could be a correlation, yes.

I make it a rule not to undertake any moderation duties before the end of my first mug of coffee in the morning or after the end of my first pint of beer in the evening, so I'm strictly diurnal.

So six double G&Ts are OK then?... 😉

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, IanD said:

Tee hee (or perhaps gee tee).

One would probably be sufficient to send me hurtling to the nvomitarium. The only spiritous bevvy I touch is cognac or armagnac at Christmas.

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

Your GP might be able to help you with that...

By prescribing whatever Northern Soul fans used to take to keep them going through all-nighters?

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Tee hee (or perhaps gee tee).

One would probably be sufficient to send me hurtling to the nvomitarium. The only spiritous bevvy I touch is cognac or armagnac at Christmas.

By prescribing whatever Northern Soul fans used to take to keep them going through all-nighters?

G&T isn't a spirit, it's a refreshing alcoholic beverage like beer... 😉

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

G&T isn't a spirit, it's a refreshing alcoholic beverage like beer... 😉

A fine example of the diversity of opinions within the forum!

Incidentally, I've corrected my typo in the post which you quoted.

36 minutes ago, IanD said:

I like what AA have to say about this (apparently)...

"One G&T before dinner is just right, two G&Ts before dinner is too many, and THREE G&Ts before dinner is not enough". 

Or so I'm reliably informed.... <hic>

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

"One G&T before dinner is just right, two G&Ts before dinner is too many, and THREE G&Ts before dinner is not enough". 

I note they don't specify size though. Our G&Ts at home are typically about a treble, pub ones are just *pathetic*... 😉

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Some years ago I received this wisdom:

Aperitifs are like breasts: one is insufficient, three are excessive.

It won't surprise you to learn that it was a Frenchman who told ne this.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Some years ago I received this wisdom:

Aperitifs are like breasts: one is insufficient, three are excessive.

It won't surprise you to learn that it was a Frenchman who told ne this.

He never met Eccentrica Gallumbits then... 😉

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

I note they don't specify size though. Last time I checked our G&Ts were typically about a treble, pub ones are just pathetic... 😉

This brings back another French memory, from when I lived down in Rodez, The local aniseed spirit, Ricard, should be drunk diluted five-to-one wityh water. I noticed that the local chaps drank it considerably stronger than that, and mentioned this one day.

"Ah oui, five to one" came the reply, "Five measures of Ricard to one measure of water".

This concoction was known as a "flan".

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

This brings back another French memory, from when I lived down in Rodez, The local aniseed spirit, Ricard, should be drunk diluted five-to-one wityh water. I noticed that the local chaps drank it considerably stronger than that, and mentioned this one day.

"Ah oui, five to one" came the reply, "Five measures of Ricard to one measure of water".

This concoction was known as a "flan".

Once spilt pernod over a blue demin suit I was wearing. (once a fashion icon🤣) next day they were bleached white with the drink had spilt. I had a nice clean stomach though 😂

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2023 at 21:06, MrFish said:

So when a thread starts to go way of tangent and cannot be steered back to the OP question it would be a good idea to lock the thread and encourage the starting of a new thread to cover where the thread was steering towards.

I think that the price of eggs should be regulated by the government :)

• Greenie 1