Don't Boil a Kettle on a Boat.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, Puffling said:

Boiling water overflows pan and extinguishes gas flame. Without a flame failure device the gas continues to pour out...

(Potentially) happens on land as well - we had a kitchen extension just over three years ago where the hob and oven (and, to be honest, pretty much every other fitting) were carefully removed and put aside - during the second fix the Gas Engineer looked at the hob and said "it's nearly Christmas, I'll put it back if you promise to replace it in the new year" - he then explained the potential issues of a boiling saucepan dousing the flame...

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

(Potentially) happens on land as well - we had a kitchen extension just over three years ago where the hob and oven (and, to be honest, pretty much every other fitting) were carefully removed and put aside - during the second fix the Gas Engineer looked at the hob and said "it's nearly Christmas, I'll put it back if you promise to replace it in the new year" - he then explained the potential issues of a boiling saucepan dousing the flame...

I think he knew he would be acting ultra vires if he refused to fit it. The regs only require flame supervision on hobs in flats and rental properties, IIRC. We can still fit them without flame supervision in OO houses. Daft though that may seem. 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think he knew he would be acting ultra vires if he refused to fit it. The regs only require flame supervision on hobs in flats and rental properties, IIRC. We can still fit them without flame supervision in OO houses. Daft though that may seem.

It was also about the 18th December... I don't think Mrs 1st Ade would have been pleased at Christmas with no hob. To be fair, the old hob was well used - what I found surprising was that the (almost identical) new Neff hob had taps that were so light to turn on (or knock on) they would have been a definite hazard if it wasn't for the flame failure device

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It wasn't just Ford. Here is an actual 1970's training film for Chrysler salesmen (and it is definitely men), introducing them to the terrifying possibility that girlies sometimes buy cars.

Brilliant!  I didn't think I'd watch it to the end when I saw how long it was, but it was laugh-out-loud several times.  And cringeworthy at the same time.

• Happy 1

22 hours ago, MtB said:

Never mind that, how about THIS for taking 1970s chauvinism to a whole new level?

image.png.9cc6aa677c6d8865cbb67c681080105d.png

Curious error in the text too. I think the right word would have been "consign", rather than "confine".

Probably an error by the bloke's secretary...

Or just a fake advert ?

2 hours ago, IanD said:

As already suggested... 😉

A possibility, definitely! 

But it looks authentic to me. The language used seems consistent with the marketing speke of the day. But that use of "confine" instead of "consign" suggests it is fake, too. I don't think a professional marketing dept at Ford would have let that one through. 

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

A possibility, definitely! 

But it looks authentic to me. The language used seems consistent with the marketing speke of the day. But that use of "confine" instead of "consign" suggests it is fake, too. I don't think a professional marketing dept at Ford would have let that one through. 

I don't think even in the '70s that the marketing department at Ford would have let such a poster through anyway, by then manufacturers were becoming well aware that women bought cars too, and not just because of the colour -- see the patronising Chrysler training video that was posted, which at least mansplained this... 😉

On 27/02/2023 at 10:08, MtB said:

Never mind that, how about THIS for taking 1970s chauvinism to a whole new level?

image.png.9cc6aa677c6d8865cbb67c681080105d.png

Curious error in the text too. I think the right word would have been "consign", rather than "confine".

Probably an error by the bloke's secretary...

To be honest they handled terribly so it was probably a wise idea 

21 hours ago, IanD said:

see the patronising Chrysler training video that was posted, which at least mansplained this... 😉

Whilst the training video seems patronising now, bear in mind it was aimed at male sales reps in the 1970s, not at the women they were selling cars to.

Even now, in the 2020's I've accompanied women friends who are buying a car and seem some startling assumptions made by male sales staff, I can imagine it was many times worse in the 1970s 

Having bought my own cars for half a century I well remember the days when I could check over several cars in a showroom without a salesman coming near me. I reckoned they used to think that females only came into showrooms to check their makeup in  the car mirror. I often made the salesmen aware before I left that they had just lost a potential sale. Then there were the salesmen who , after discussing a car including cost would advise me to speak to my  husband . Fortunately things have changed now and I am treated like any other potential customer.

Despite the attitude of salesmen, I love negotiating car sales . 

Only a few years back that I was accompanying my daughter when she was buying  Ford Ka at a Ford main dealer and she had to remind the sales guy more than once that it was her money that was buying the car and not mine.

If she hadnt liked the car so much I think she would have politely told him to shove it.