Buyer Beware

KenK

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Ah yes, so you did, although not certain by the look of things.

If so it sold more than three months ago.

No, not certain. I guess only the OP knows for sure, and they appear to have done a runner. 

Edited by rusty69

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

Rodgy or Winter Rose, both listed sold at that price point

Pretty sure it's not Rodgy, as I originally thought, though Rodgy was sold last year for approx 60K and has had an exterior repaint and internal work since 

I was looking at the displayed boats on the front page of the mobile version of the website. I see the full version has the ability to search back through lots of sold boats.

Doesn’t look out of kilter with the market and the prices for boats I’ve moved in the past year.

Maybe this is a good advert for the broker whose business it is to know the market.

On that basis maybe ‘Seller Be Aware’ would be a better title.

30 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Pretty sure it's not Rodgy, as I originally thought, though Rodgy was sold last year for approx 60K and has had an exterior repaint and internal work since 

Yeah, looking again Rodgy doesn't have the big TV mentioned in the OP

18 hours ago, magnetman said:

Apparently car boot sales are going to be open to dealers only for one hour in the morning. 

There is a new law about all this and it also requires sellers of products to divulge how much they paid for them. 

That'll show 'em. 

It's not even February the 1st yet. 

So when I go to Tesco's there will be two prices on a tin of bake beans, their purchase price and what they are selling to me at :)

1 minute ago, Laurie Booth said:

So when I go to Tesco's there will be two prices on a tin of bake beans, their purchase price and what they are selling to me at :)

No, there will be two prices on Tesco offerings depending on whether you have a club card or not.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

I think my original post may have been too subtle, I was trying not to make an accusation which I could not substantiate. In my post I clearly said that when I sold the boat I included both the original sales invoice and also the invoice (RYA version) when I sold her. I'm fairly certain that if the current owner had been aware that the boat had been purchased for £50,000 in 2019 they may have thought long and hard before paying almost 50% more for a boat 3 years older. It has been pointed out many times on this and other boating forums that often a boat is the most expensive thing many people buy after a house but there is no requirement for any paperwork, not even proof of ownership, hence the Buyer Beware. The paperwork I handed over to my purchaser should have been, in my opinion, retained and passed on to future purchasers, maybe it was I don't know. Possibly the current purchaser wanted the boat so badly that price was no object.

Yes, it was Winter Rose, as far as I am concerned I sold her for a fair price and I have no regrets as the quick sale meant I was able to purchase my current boat a Luxemotor barge for a very good price. The current Winter Rose Luxemotor, (the name has personal reasons), has allowed my wife and I to experience a very different type of boating in Europe from the UK rivers and canals, long may it continue.

Ken

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

No, there will be two prices on Tesco offerings depending on whether you have a club card or not.

So there will be 3 prices on a tin of beans, their purchase price, Clubcard price and price you have to pay if you do not have a Club Card. :)

• Greenie 1

Call me Mr thicky Mc thick if you will, but i'm still not getting this.

The OP appears to be suggesting that a boat with paperwork perhaps should demand a higher price than one without. If this is the case, then when it was sold for 50K in 2019 with the paperwork it would have been at the higher end of the scale.

Having said that, we still don't know if the boat included all the original paperwork at the point of sale or not, or if the improvements, sales pitch, broker offerings and general inflation caused the price to increase.

13 hours ago, magnetman said:

Maybe the brother owns it or something. That would tidy it up a bit. Or the wife who is not part of the company. 

God I'm such a cynic. 

But true I understand

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The OP appears to be suggesting that a boat with paperwork perhaps should demand a higher price than one without. If this is the case, then when it was sold for 50K in 2019 with the paperwork it would have been at the higher end of the scale.

Having said that, we still don't know if the boat included all the original paperwork at the point of sale or not, or if the improvements, sales pitch, broker offerings and general inflation caused the price to increase.

Maybe he just sold it to cheep and got a quick sail when the market wasnt so buoyant 

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

No I'm not suggesting that having paperwork makes the boat more or less valuable, I said if the original paperwork was available then a more informed decision could have been made by the purchaser. As I said maybe it was and he or she still decided the boat was worth the money. As far as improvements I would say it had gone downhill rather than been improved with the exception of the solar panels. For added information I paid £60,000 for her as a new boat although of course that money buys a lot less today. 

2 minutes ago, KenK said:

No I'm not suggesting that having paperwork makes the boat more or less valuable, I said if the original paperwork was available then a more informed decision could have been made by the purchaser. As I said maybe it was and he or she still decided the boat was worth the money. As far as improvements I would say it had gone downhill rather than been improved with the exception of the solar panels. For added information I paid £60,000 for her as a new boat although of course that money buys a lot less today. 

Then I am not sure what you are suggesting the "buyers beware" of. If the paperwork adds no value, it matters not if it is present or not. If the paperwork does add value, through the additional information, then perhaps it makes the boat worth more.

Either way, you don't know whether it was or wasn't available with the boat.

I think the OP is suggesting that the 2nd buyer got ripped off as if they'd known it had sold for £50k three years previously then they wouldn't have spent £75k on it.

However the market has changed and it really isn't any of their business any more what the boat sold or sells for in the future.  My classic car is now worth £10,000 whereas I bought it for £1,200.  If I sell it does the buyer base their offer on what I paid for it? No. Also does the person I bought it off feel the need to warn people that I bought it for considerably less than I'm selling it for?

I say well done to the person that the OP sold the boat to for being able to sell it for much more money!

Edited by IanM
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Then I am not sure what you are suggesting the "buyers beware" of. If the paperwork adds no value, it matters not if it is present or not. If the paperwork does add value, through the additional information, then perhaps it makes the boat worth more.

Either way, you don't know whether it was or wasn't available with the boat.

I am starting to think that Kens warning 'Buyer beware' is to alert buyers that they may be paying more for the boat than the previous owner did - why that should matter I have no idea - if they think it is overpriced then they don't buy it, if the consider the price to be acceptable they buy it.

Idioms and collocations in English. Fuss about nothing | Autoestima, Ingles

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IanM said:

I think the OP is suggesting that the 2nd buyer got ripped off as if they'd known it had sold for £50k three years previously then they wouldn't have spent £75k on it.

Exactly. It may be a little galling for the latest buyer to know he could have bought for 2/3 of the price if he had done so 3 years earlier. But if he looks around and sees that comparable boats are now going for £75k, what can he do about it?

If we had sold our house 3 years ago the person who would have bought it would have paid about 30k less than if we sold it today.

Would todays buyer be entitled to be miffed knowing that they had to pay 30k more than three years ago?

Nope.

Market forces innit...