Buyer Beware

KenK

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, IanM said:

I think the OP is suggesting that the 2nd buyer got ripped off as if they'd known it had sold for £50k three years previously then they wouldn't have spent £75k on it.

However the market has changed and it really isn't any of their business any more what the boat sold or sells for in the future.  My classic car is now worth £10,000 whereas I bought it for £1,200.  If I sell it does the buyer base their offer on what I paid for it? No. Also does the person I bought it off feel the need to warn people that I bought it for considerably less than I'm selling it for?

I say well done to the person that the OP sold the boat to for being able to sell it for much more money!

When I bought my boat (in 2013) it had the original sales invoice from the builders and the invoice relating to its second sale (I was the third owner).

These documents, unlike the service history, BSS etc, were not made available to me until the purchase was complete. I thought that was fair enough, I had the brokers word that they existed and that they constituted sufficient proof of the seller's ownership of the boat, I didn't think that the actual figures were any of my business until I owned the boat (perhaps not even then).

Edited by frahkn

The other thing worth mentioning in todays modern internet world is that often past adverts can be found from previous boat sales. It didn't take me long to find that the boat 'Rodgy" which also looked to have been sold for 74K was recently was previously for sale in 2022 for 60K.

Edited by rusty69

41 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The other thing worth mentioning in todays modern internet world is that often past adverts can be found from previous boat sales. It didn't take me long to find that the boat 'Rodgy" which also looked to have been sold for 74K was recently was previously for sale in 2022 for 60K.

The boat I bought for £10k and sold a year later for £13k sold a couple of years after I sold it for £25k (well that was the asking price) Good luck to them.

They had painted the interior 'London White' but otherwise was just as we sold it.

Screenshot (307).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The boat I bought for £10k and sold a year later for £13k sold a couple of years after I sold it for £25k (well that was the asking price) Good luck to them.

They had painted the interior 'London White' but otherwise was just as we sold it.

Screenshot (307).png

Well you know what they say......'Double your money overnight, paint your boat in London White.'

Ok, ok, so they don't say that. I just made it up. Sheesh.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/01/2023 at 15:16, rusty69 said:

Sometimes that even works the other way round. When I bought mine I found an ad for about three years earlier which was (i) for more money and (ii) detailed lots of work the owner had done which the broker listing didn't mention

We bought our narrowboat for £90000 in 2007, sold it through Rugby Boat Sales in 2020 for £80000 and it's just been sold again for £87500. 

I was very surprised and happy with our £80k and think RBS commission well deserved.

• Greenie 1