Featured video

Kendorr

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

As far as I can make out it will cost £4.95, I might be wrong.

A link to part 2 (if free) will be helpful :)

I don't think the next episode has been put out yet.  There is a reference to the Queen's death in this one, so it must be fairly recent, although the intro trailers later episodes, featuring Shire Cruisers and the boatyard.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

I just watched the current "Featured Video" of Country House Gent showing us how to start up an old vintage twin cylinder Ailsa Craig diesel.

All goes well as he lubricates stuff, turns the fuel on, slowly turns the engine over using the hand start to get some oil moving, etc. Then he shows us the lighting and insertion of the wicks it uses instead of glow plugs.

Then when it's finally ready for what I expected to be the finale of a grand, triumphant hand start, he spoils it all by just pressing a button and wanging it over with the electric starter motor, lol!! 

Linky here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=gmSUmi7TTYw&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=CountryHouseGent

I'll never take my Beta 43 for granted ever again!

4 hours ago, MtB said:

I just watched the current "Featured Video" of Country House Gent showing us how to start up an old vintage twin cylinder Ailsa Craig diesel.

All goes well as he lubricates stuff, turns the fuel on, slowly turns the engine over using the hand start to get some oil moving, etc. Then he shows us the lighting and insertion of the wicks it uses instead of glow plugs.

Then when it's finally ready for what I expected to be the finale of a grand, triumphant hand start, he spoils it all by just pressing a button and wanging it over with the electric starter motor, lol!! 

Linky here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=gmSUmi7TTYw&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=CountryHouseGent

Those "glow plugs" are quite something. Imagine ordering your supplies from the fuel boat:

4 bags of coal

2 bags of logs

2 bags of kindling sticks

2 feet of glow plug wicking

😳

4 hours ago, MtB said:

😳

Edited by Puffling

3 hours ago, Puffling said:

Those "glow plugs" are quite something. Imagine ordering your supplies from the fuel boat:

4 bags of coal

2 bags of logs

2 bags of kindling sticks

2 feet of glow plug wicking

😳

😳

'and a partridge in a pear ................'

OK, leaving now

On 30/11/2022 at 08:13, MtB said:

Linky here:

Perhaps not one for purists but I guess it helps him make boating just a little easier. Sounds lovely though. 

I wonder what he has used on his roof. I love the red oxide colour but surely it's not red oxide.

23 hours ago, RichM said:

I wonder what he has used on his roof. I love the red oxide colour but surely it's not red oxide.

One would hope not as genuine red oxide is porous and provides no protection unless painted over with something waterproof!

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, RichM said:

Perhaps not one for purists but I guess it helps him make boating just a little easier. Sounds lovely though. 

Probably Raddle Red, a top coat devised by Phil Speight and pinched by another paint company which didnt realise he had invented the term I believe.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Probably Raddle Red, a top coat devised by Phil Speight and pinched by another paint company which didnt realise he had invented the term I believe.

He must be very old  Raddle / Reddle is a harness held underneath a rams chest in which a block of coloured paint is placed. When the ram mounts the ewe he leaves a paint ' skid-mark on the ewes back.

The paint block  is changed weekly for a differemt colour so the shepherd can work out when the lambs are due. and each colour means the sheep can be brought into the fold a while before they are due to lamb.

There is a "Red Raddle", (a variety of ocher) a "Green Raddle", a "Blue Raddle" etc etc

The use of Raddle goes back to at least the 17th century and was a word meaning "to paint (the face) with rouge"

Oxford dictionary :

Reddle / Raddle a device which holds a colour marking device on rams in lieu of raddling their breast wool with colour"

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He must be very old  Raddle / Reddle is a harness held underneath a rams chest in which a block of coloured paint is placed. When the ram mounts the ewe he leaves a paint ' skid-mark on the ewes back.

The paint block  is changed weekly for a differemt colour so the shepherd can work out when the lambs are due. and each colour means the sheep can be brought into the fold a while before they are due to lamb.

There is a "Red Raddle", (a variety of ocher) a "Green Raddle", a "Blue Raddle" etc etc

The use of Raddle goes back to at least the 17th century and was a word meaning "to paint (the face) with rouge"

Oxford dictionary :

Reddle / Raddle a device which holds a colour marking device on rams in lieu of raddling their breast wool with colour"

Whilst this is lovely to know, and useful for a 17th century farmer, it bears very little resemblance other than the term raddle(which was a harness, not a paint).

To develop a red non porous topcoat red oxide type finish with non slip benefits was new to the paint and narrowboats. Phil managed it.

...and someone else tried to copy it.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, MtB said:

One would hope not as genuine red oxide is porous and provides no protection unless painted over with something waterproof!

Johnstones used to produce a red oxide gloss paint which was the same colour as red oxide primer but with a gloss waterproof finish and fine as a top coat. We used it for years on the cabin top, hold, front deck, planks and stands etc. on Fulbourne, but sadly they don't make it any more.

• Greenie 1