New inverter or generator to run washing machine?

blackrose

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Some people just don't seem to be able to get the hang of using them. I can wash bed sheets and trousers fine. The fact that people edge away from me in crowds and I seem to have a 2m radius empty circle around me at all times, I put down to residual covid precautions. 😀

The idea of washing sheets in my little plastic machine has an air of implausibility about it, but it seems I merely lack ambition.

I feel inspired by your successes, and am now determined to experiment with a sheet. 

That said, I'll be passing Tattenhall marina in another week, and they do have the most wonderfully-kept array of washing machines and dryers, and at very reasonable prices too.

It would be rude of me not to use them, and their equally wonderful showers. 

The whole venture can be woven around a visit to the very nice cafe they have. I tried the sausage and egg on toast on my last visit, and I seldom miss an opportunity to get my grubby paws on that kind of thing when I pass close by. 

The Morrisons public machine cost a criminal £9 for 45 mins of barely-effective drying, and I think £6 for the wash, so this keeping clean business is starting to become a bit expensive. I think its time to let myself go. 

• Happy 1

17 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

The Morrisons public machine cost a criminal £9 for 45 mins of barely-effective drying, and I think £6 for the wash, so this keeping clean business is starting to become a bit expensive. I think its time to let myself go. 

What? Even further down?  How low can you get? At Cropredy there are two simpletons. ( being polite )  One is known as Whiffy due to his aroma. Seems he used to ride the sweeps in the sewage works as a child and the fragrance lingers---------- 

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What? Even further down?  How low can you get? 

My brother holds the opinion that I have already hit rock bottom in terms of personal appearance and general cleanliness, but I think there's definitely scope for more grubbiness and squalor in my existence.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

My brother holds the opinion that I have already hit rock bottom in terms of personal appearance and general cleanliness, but I think there's definitely scope for more grubbiness and squalor in my existence.  

PigPen_(Peanuts).png.422000221baec205baf56e9c35b56b9c.png

By Charles M. Schultz - http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/peanuts/images/a/a2/Pig-pen_peanuts.png/revision/latest?cb=20090301044242, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50061858

18 hours ago, BEngo said:

Inverters and washing machines are a touchy combo.  Some get on, some don't  and there is often no apparent rhyme or reason, but that the electronics are at loggerheads.  If you post details of the washer, someone will tell you which inverter they have that works/sometimes works/ is a no-no.

I would use the genny.  It will cost less to run, overall,  than a boat engine, alternator,  batteries and inverter.  It seems most washers will live with a Honda's output and they are reliable, which some inverters also are.  You also already have the genny, so there is less capital outlay.

All That said I expect that the grid will always be the cheapest way to get domestic high power.

N

A generator like the Honda 30EU (typically about 25% efficient) will use far less fuel and be able to provide more power than running your engine and using the alternator to charge batteries, with additional losses from round-trip efficiency and inverter (overall less than 10% efficient).

An inverter only really makes sense if you have solar panels to provide the power instead of burning fuel, and preferably lithium batteries... 😉

46 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes- this was at Chester locks, although I don't recall there being a photographer. 

I've now deteriorated to the point where I keep a separate stock of 'civilian' grade clothing, for use when I visit shops or pubs, when I know that normal people will get within a metre of me. 

My wardrobe system has been refined, in that a given shirt may be taken off front line duty after a visit or two to the shops, but it may still be perfectly suitable for cruising duty, which usually doesnt involve close proximity to civilians. 

This fragile rotation system was stretched to breaking point with the long, hot, and of course sweaty days of this summer, with shirts often not being suitable for cruising after even a single trip to the shops, due to excessive perspiration, and most evenings would see a shirt or two flapping from the stern in an attempt to dry it out after yet another wash. 

The whole business of wardrobe management is hugely complicated by my not having a working sense of smell (due to the Australian flu), and by my policy of buying two of any shirt that I like.

This had led to several toe-curlingly embarrassing moments when I've realised I've selected the wrong shirt for a trip to the shops.

So, instead of rocking up at the Co-op in a crisp clean shirt like a normal person, I've inadvertently selected the horrible sweaty shirt of the same colour that I cycled 8 miles in the previous day, which now assaults the senses of passers by as violently as a chemical weapon attack.   

Even after I thought I'd lost all vestiges of shame, that still made me wince. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm not saying I know all the answers. I don't know which is the best option but I am saying that the grid might not necessarily be the cheapest option.

Possibly not directly relevant but an acquaintance claims to have worked out that it would be cheaper for him to hire a silent generator than to buy electricity from the grid.

I don't know if this is a commercial rate or how much he thinks the gas for the generator will cost.

Of course, depending on what our new prime minister is going to announce tomorrow, he may have to rework his spreadsheet.

42 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

They won't have any customers at those prices so it doesn't matter whether they pay the leccy bill.

We said that Beef Steak would never reach £1 / lb but it did and we still buy it.

We said petrol will never get to £1 a gallon, but is now almost 8x that and we still buy it.

2 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

They won't have any customers at those prices so it doesn't matter whether they pay the leccy bill.

You're kidding...?

Surely lots of people would pay £100 for a pint of well cellared real ale! 

• Haha 1

On 06/09/2022 at 21:15, blackrose said:

it's a Zanussi ZWC1300W.

Quick warning here.

That model even on a cold wash  appears to switch the heater on for long enough, whilst it senses the water temperature, to trip a 1k inverter. Its the only reason I could find for it tripping my 1k PSW LF inverter after it had filled with water  just as the wash cycle started.

On 06/09/2022 at 22:23, jonathanA said:

Do let me and about 65 million other UK residents know about your cheaper than the grid power source.... 

My solar panels at home will have paid for themselves in about 6 years time, from then on its cheaper than the grid by 100%. ;)

Even on a grotty day like today they produce enough power for me to be independent of the grid, though there has been  nothing to export   :(

2 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Yes mine paid for themselves a couple of years ago and I do like being paid 56p+ a unit for everything they produce. Even better any excess heats up my water saving on my gas too.

FIT ended the week before we bought the house. 

I have a battery bank so almost no grid use since March. And Solar water heating paid for mostly by the government.

Makes more sense for me to expor than use excess electric for hot water.