Minimum stability level needed for a houseboat

riverfan12345

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sometimes it’s better to keep your opinion to yourself.

Self appointed Forum Police now are we ?

No, but you just *can't* resist the temptation to keep having nasty little digs at LadyG every chance you get... 😉

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sometimes it’s better to keep your opinion to yourself.

Self appointed Forum Police now are we ?

Oh dear!

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

So can we take from this that you are all in favour of boaters being given suspect and often wrong advice? Especially when the giver of such advice seems to have a history of it. There are some posters here who give poor advice from the best of intentions and when corrected seem to accept and learn, there are others who seem to be different, posting in an authoritative manner so members, especially new boaters, really need warning about them. Otherwise, this forum will get like Faceache etc with all sorts of misleading advice so no one knows which is good and which is bad.

It’s the personal comments that are totally unnecessary 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But nothing Alan said in his post that you seem to have objected to was untrue as far as I am concerned. History shows that both phrases in his statements are true. He did not use a personal attach such as is used in the politics section. If LadyG so desires she can take Alan's post up with the moderators, it is not for you to decide what is true and what others can post.

You will note that some posts before the one Alan referred to in the battery topic she made another bold and in context not helpful and possibly misleading statement. Maybe you missed the piece where, in spite of all the troubles and tribulations and non-standard ways of doing things, she said that she had bought a good boat, her posts suggest otherwise. She later said she meant a good hull, but that is rather different to the boat.

Some of us here know enough to ignore much of her advice, but many do not, especially new members who have a boat for the first time.

Yeh what ever then. Defending personal attacks on a public forum. Unbelievable (I’ve not got as much time to waste as you with a detailed reply) 

Edited by Chris John

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But nothing Alan said in his post that you seem to have objected to was untrue as far as I am concerned. History shows that both phrases in his statements are true. He did not use a personal attach such as is used in the politics section. If LadyG so desires she can take Alan's post up with the moderators, it is not for you to decide what is true and what others can post.

You will note that some posts before the one Alan referred to in the battery topic she made another bold and in context not helpful and possibly misleading statement. Maybe you missed the piece where, in spite of all the troubles and tribulations and non-standard ways of doing things, she said that she had bought a good boat, her posts suggest otherwise. She later said she meant a good hull, but that is rather different to the boat.

Some of us here know enough to ignore much of her advice, but many do not, especially new members who have a boat for the first time.

However every time she posts Alan keeps making nasty little digs about how badly things have gone for her, how she's making yes another mistake, how she can't be enjoying canal life, why does she carry on living on a boat if she doesn't like it or can't afford it -- basically, why don't you shut up and go back to where you came from?

All of which is a bit rich coming from somebody who -- unlike LadyG -- isn't even on the canals any more because he dislikes CART so much, as well as some people on this forum -- probably including me... 😉

Saying that a post she made was wrong, and giving reasons and explaining why -- that's fine. What Alan is doing is very close to bullying, which is certainly not how people are supposed to behave on the forum...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 4

I would say @LadyG experience, maybe a good example that sometimes your decision to live on the Canal is maybe the wrong one, with regards to age and physical ability. Reading her posts from the start of her canal life, she has seamed to have struggled more then enjoyed it. It would be good if @LadyG could be honest with a reply and herself.  if I ask her would she do it again if she could turn the clock back? 
 We can all pussy foot around the subject that the OP has questions about, but sometimes it’s better just to tell the facts, old people and boats often end in regret.

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

However every time she posts Alan keeps making nasty little digs about how badly things have gone for her, how she's making yes another mistake, how she can't be enjoying canal life, why does she carry on living on a boat if she doesn't like it or can't afford it -- basically, why don't you shut up and go back to where you came from?

All of which is a bit rich coming from somebody who -- unlike LadyG -- isn't even on the canals any more because he dislikes CART so much, as well as some people on this forum -- probably including me... 😉

Saying that a post she made was wrong, and giving reasons and explaining why -- that's fine. What Alan is doing is very close to bullying, which is certainly not how people are supposed to behave on the forum...

I accept much of this but not Chris John''s manner of reply. If he had done similar to you then fine, he has a point but he did not.

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I would say @LadyG experience, maybe a good example that sometimes your decision to live on the Canal is maybe the wrong one, with regards to age and physical ability. Reading her posts from the start of her canal life, she has seamed to have struggled more then enjoyed it. It would be good if @LadyG could be honest with a reply and herself.  if I ask her would she do it again if she could turn the clock back? 
 We can all pussy foot around the subject that the OP has questions about, but sometimes it’s better just to tell the facts, old people and boats often end in regret.

Yes that's true, but sniping at them every time they post is basically bullying of somebody who may be vulnerable.

And as in real life, surely it's acceptable for people who see this as not very nice to say "Hang on old chap, that's a bit beyond the pale, maybe you should stop that?" instead of going to the police (moderators) and reporting them for something which might not actually be a crime but isn't really acceptable behaviour? 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yes that's true, but sniping at them every time they post is basically bullying of somebody who may be vulnerable.

And as in real life, surely it's acceptable for people who see this as not very nice to say "Hang on old chap, that's a bit beyond the pale, maybe you should stop that?" instead of going to the police (moderators) and reporting them for something which might not actually be a crime but isn't really acceptable behaviour? 😉

I agree, I too have given @LadyG some questionable replies, like a lot of people on here have. But it may do people some good to hear an honest account of life on the canals from a person who came on late in life, both regrets and happy times, just an honest opinion.

Back to the original query, the boat in question is probably quite cheap so if he still feels enthusiastic after a few months he might try to stretch his budget to a more suitable boat. If he goes right off the whole idea then he won't have lost much. Stability? it will be safe but wobbly. Most of us started with pretty unsuitable boats, plywood cruisers or rotten old wooden narrowboats.

32 minutes ago, Bee said:

Back to the original query, the boat in question is probably quite cheap so if he still feels enthusiastic after a few months he might try to stretch his budget to a more suitable boat. If he goes right off the whole idea then he won't have lost much. Stability? it will be safe but wobbly. Most of us started with pretty unsuitable boats, plywood cruisers or rotten old wooden narrowboats.

I would say he would be better stretching his budget now if anything and not buying this. There’s no need to start with an unsuitable crap boat, they only cost you money and depreciate.

I suspect the OP’s boat is being sold by a friend of a friend or someone local from the pub.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, IanD said:

No, but you just *can't* resist the temptation to keep having nasty little digs at LadyG every chance you get... 😉

I dont agree with you - I could criticise almost every post she makes, but I withold comment on many of them as they are not 'dangerous' or totally wrong, many of them are just ignorance - however when she posts 'facts' that could lead to a fatality (as she did a few days ago) then I will make a comment - if you view that as bullying, then I'm sorry that you are so easily offended on behalf of some one else.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I dont agree with you - I could criticise almost every post she makes, but I withold comment on many of them as they are not 'dangerous' or totally wrong, many of them are just ignorance - however when she posts 'facts' that could lead to a fatality (as she did a few days ago) then I will make a comment - if you view that as bullying, then I'm sorry that you are so easily offended on behalf of some one else.

If you don't like being told that you're acting like a bullying tw*t, don't make repeated sniping posts at somebody who may not be entirely robust against them.

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, IanD said:

I can't resist having nasty little digs at Alan*, every chance I get, but he doesn't see them. LadyG could do similar and ignore him.

* de Enfield 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I can't resist having nasty little digs at Alan*, every chance I get, but he doesn't see them. LadyG could do similar and ignore him.

* de Enfield 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Let’s face it…some people just don’t get on be that online or in real life…..and you can ignite in both! 

How bad are the individual's "stability issues"?

Getting on and off a boat whilst cruising singlehanded is a much bigger challenge to stability than any amount of rocking the boat might do, especially if they are continuous cruising which will involve passing through locks...

8 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

How bad are the individual's "stability issues"?

Getting on and off a boat whilst cruising singlehanded is a much bigger challenge to stability than any amount of rocking the boat might do, especially if they are continuous cruising which will involve passing through locks...

Not to mention stepping off onto wet and slippy lock landings and tow paths. At least you can lean on a steel boat for support but I expect a GRP wouldn't be much help.

If I was the OP I’d be telling my Dad that my children will not be going on that boat with him. Seriously does that boat look safe? I doubt it’s safe for a normal person, never mind an old man unsteady on his feet looking after children on a river, total no brainer for sensible people. That botched back end is a joke and is that door narrow or what?

49CD7D72-389D-4D10-9EA3-66BA516DF86E.jpeg.aa4e79add6c47d03e29bb457cba9c84a.jpeg

• Love 1

5 hours ago, IanD said:

I haven't responded to my earlier posting, which came out wrong, I agree, my connection to the net stopped mid edit several times, but I was unable to delete it, and gave up, left it to the vultures.

I have de Enfield on ignore, but he continues with his unpleasant postings, it's in his nature, nobody takes him seriously.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 3

Back on topic, regarding an elderly person giving up standard land based housing, this could have an unintended consequence.

People who need the Local Authority to help with their housing needs, may find the L.A may take no responsibility. I'm not clear of their statutory responsibilities, but it's worth doing a bit of research before making any major decision.

There was a gentleman who had lived in 'our' marina for many years, he had a stroke and after leaving Hospital he returned to his wife and boat - various boaters helped them move for diesel and pump-out and the Community Nurse visited regularly, he slowly got worse and the LA said you either move into sheltered accomodation or we will withdraw all of our assistance, he (and we) fought for him but it made no difference he had to move into a (nice little) bungalow and I ended up selling his boat for him and taking it up the Trent to be lifted out and loaded onto a truck.

Sad times.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

* de Enfield 🤣🤣🤣🤣

He's been on ignore for years, but still twists his knife at every opportunity, and of course I can see he has posted, and some are quoted.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Back on topic, regarding an elderly person giving up standard land based housing, this could have an unintended consequence.

People who need the Local Authority to help with their housing needs, may find the L.A may take no responsibility.

That's a very good point

It's bad enough getting help from social services  for people who leave near county boundaries so living a mobile life must be worse.

In the UK social care needs  a big shake up and funding as it is the lack of such care that is keeping people in hospital awaiting help and causing the issues with urgent and new patients spending hours or days in corridors on trolleys . And its going to get much worse if no action is taken.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There was a gentleman who had lived in 'our' marina for many years, he had a stroke and after leaving Hospital he returned to his wife and boat - various boaters helped them move for diesel and pump-out and the Community Nurse visited regularly, he slowly got worse and the LA said you either move into sheltered accomodation or we will withdraw all of our assistance, he (and we) fought for him but it made no difference he had to move into a (nice little) bungalow and I ended up selling his boat for him and taking it up the Trent to be lifted out and loaded onto a truck.

Sad times.

Yes but sounds like the couple was looked after by social care  and  folks like yourself.