Jump to content

Thursday 4 Aug Harecastle closed.


Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The Harecastle is shut from 10am Thursday 4 Aug as boats have struggled to get through with low water. Opening tomorrow morning (I hope).

Good luck, I hope you get through

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try standing on the towpath with your Trombone and play The Acrobat fff and they may make an emergency opening of the tunnel just to get rid of you.

Failing that,show them your Tenor Horn, (no need to play it) and I am sure you will soon be on your way.😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Try standing on the towpath with your Trombone and play The Acrobat fff and they may make an emergency opening of the tunnel just to get rid of you.

Failing that,show them your Tenor Horn, (no need to play it) and I am sure you will soon be on your way.😂

I can't threaten them with the trombone, they've all run away. Oddly, they showed no interest in the euphemism. And when I said OK, I'll just get my squeezebox out then, they said they'd call the police.

So I just moored up quietly.

IMG_20220804_103151.jpg

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harecastle not opening today (Friday) at all as water still too low. CRT now pumping water in and checking no-one has left any locks or paddles open.

Nice to get round to it after closing at 10am yesterday, with a full closure on Sunday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

 

Nice to get round to it after closing at 10am yesterday, with a full closure on Sunday.

 

What else would you expect from this pea-brain of a 'navigation authority'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How deep is the Harecastle?   I remember having to take hireboats through in the 60s because the tunnel had sunk and the towpath was not visible under water, so could have damaged the wooden boats.   I believe the towpath was removed later but don't remember how long the under water part was.   Maybe the left the remains of the towpath in the lowered section.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

How deep is the Harecastle?   I remember having to take hireboats through in the 60s because the tunnel had sunk and the towpath was not visible under water, so could have damaged the wooden boats.   I believe the towpath was removed later but don't remember how long the under water part was.   Maybe the left the remains of the towpath in the lowered section.

I was told that a lot of concrete was poured into the bottom of the tunnel in places, why, I have no idea. It must be remembered that the tunnel is not only sinking but is being squeezed like a toothpaste tube so presumably there are shallow sections.

 

I tried poling a boat out once and you can find the bottom with a pole in most places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/08/2022 at 15:59, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't threaten them with the trombone, they've all run away. Oddly, they showed no interest in the euphemism. And when I said OK, I'll just get my squeezebox out then, they said they'd call the police.

So I just moored up quietly.

IMG_20220804_103151.jpg

 What's those caravans for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

They do canoeing, paddle boarding and other activates there

Can't get away from them nowadays. New since 2020 last time we were there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That is why they sell ice-cream and a few groceries. I like mooring there overnight, its very quiet.

We moor there if going through the tunnel 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We moored at Westport Lake and set off early to arrive at the tunnel before 8am. Were accepted into the group of boats heading north first thing, no worries. This was earlier in the summer though, when it was open from 8am-12noon for non-booked boats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Midnight said:

Good luck Arthur let's hope you make it home this time.

Thank you - we made it! Much relief all round.  All the Heritage boats have escaped and I presume the Black Prince ones too. Bit of a duff boating summer and I don't hold out much hope for next year, either.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/08/2022 at 15:59, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't threaten them with the trombone, they've all run away. Oddly, they showed no interest in the euphemism. And when I said OK, I'll just get my squeezebox out then, they said they'd call the police.

So I just moored up quietly.

IMG_20220804_103151.jpg

When I played the squeezebox in Harecastle -- as a duet with the trumpet player on the boat behind us -- I got told off by the jobsworth at the exit in case the noise would have prevented any use of a horn as a distress signal.

 

It obviously escaped his attention that we were the last two boats, and perfectly capable of communicating with each other. 

 

Or maybe he just didn't like the Dambusters... 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, IanD said:

When I played the squeezebox in Harecastle -- as a duet with the trumpet player on the boat behind us -- I got told off by the jobsworth at the exit in case the noise would have prevented any use of a horn as a distress signal.

 

 

 

You should have told him it WAS a distress signal, but nobody came to help....

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IanD said:

When I played the squeezebox in Harecastle -- as a duet with the trumpet player on the boat behind us -- I got told off by the jobsworth at the exit in case the noise would have prevented any use of a horn as a distress signal.

 

It obviously escaped his attention that we were the last two boats, and perfectly capable of communicating with each other. 

 

Or maybe he just didn't like the Dambusters... 😉

I always wonder if they would hear a horn sound when they are in their hut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I always wonder if they would hear a horn sound when they are in their hut.

He obviously heard the squeezebox. I got told off years ago for playing the cornet for the same reason - you need two hands for the trombone - but the acoustics are irresistible....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.