Commonwealth games opening ceremony

nicknorman

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

Did I hear right? has Birmingham only got 35 miles of canal? I thought it would be much more. 

I think it’s important to remember the difference between Birmingham and the BCN. The BCN includes Wolverhampton, Walsall, Brownhills, Dudley and many more places that aren’t Birmingham.

Just now, Rob-M said:

As we are in Birmingham we watched some of it on the large screens.  Lots of people around but not many boats.

No I think the whole mooring thing has been cocked up. I am talking only about the ceremony at the stadium. No actual canals were harmed during the ceremony.

I just watched a bit on the iPlayer. I don't really get opening/closing ceremonies, especially on TV when they intersperse the live event with CGI animations and images of the queen. The whole "we come from Brum" thing just seems a bit silly to me, but if others enjoy this sort of stuff that's fine. I'm going to watch something else! 🤣

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think it’s important to remember the difference between Birmingham and the BCN. The BCN includes Wolverhampton, Walsall, Brownhills, Dudley and many more places that aren’t Birmingham.

Ah, that explains it! To me with my poor knowledge of geography, I think of all of the BCN being Birmingham

Haggis

It funny seeing the finished event.  

My wife is in the the choir, the people in all black behind the stage, we have known quite a bit about it for some time.  I went to the dress rehearsal on Tuesday, and it was very difficult to understand some of the symbolism without the explaining they did in the TV.  We were sworn to secrecy on the details.

The first time I saw the artists impression for the stage, the first thing was why is it a wide lock!  In the canal there is actually a shopping trolley at one end and a bike at the other end.  There is a CRT sign by what I think is a services block, at the end by the bridge.

We could not understand the “beach” that is marked in the stage layout, Sally asked what it was representing, and it just towpath, the bit with mooring bollards, but they want a name for that section and “towpath” it what the area on the outside is called.  

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It funny seeing the finished event.  

My wife is in the the choir, the people in all black behind the stage, we have known quite a bit about it for some time.  I went to the dress rehearsal on Tuesday, and it was very difficult to understand some of the symbolism without the explaining they did in the TV.  We were sworn to secrecy on the details.

The first time I saw the artists impression for the stage, the first thing was why is it a wide lock!  In the canal there is actually a shopping trolley at one end and a bike at the other end.  There is a CRT sign by what I think is a services block, at the end by the bridge.

We could not understand the “beach” that is marked in the stage layout, Sally asked what it was representing, and it just towpath, the bit with mooring bollards, but they want a name for that section and “towpath” it what the area on the outside is called.  

IMO it doesn’t really need to be technically super-accurate, it is symbolism for the masses after all.

Oh and watch out for what happens in the crowd during Duran Duran, also backing vocals by Sally (and a couple of hundred others).

It going to be late when Sally gets home , trouble we are at the Severn in Cov at 9am tomorrow, Guinness for breakfast though.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

IMO it doesn’t really need to be technically super-accurate, it is symbolism for the masses after all.

Absolutely agree, but it tickled me, it’s far better on TV than in the staduin as well.

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, that explains it! To me with my poor knowledge of geography, I think of all of the BCN being Birmingham

Haggis

In fact I’m surprised it’s 35 miles. I know someone who lives in Smethwick and they say “It ain’t Birmingham”. Same in Scotland, hardly anyone lives in Glasgow, people live in Paisley, Bearsden, Govan, Rutherglen etc etc.

38 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Oh and watch out for what happens in the crowd during Duran Duran, also backing vocals by Sally (and a couple of hundred others).

Didn’t see what you are referring to. It has to be said that Simon le Bon isn’t a great live singer.

19 minutes ago, Little Else said:

. It must be wonderful to be part of it all even if none of it makes sense. Please tell Sally her Chocolate cake was missed at the finish of the BCN challenge this year. (As were both of you)

Thank you I will.  It has been a lot of hard work and long hours for her.

Just now, nicknorman said:

Didn’t see what you are referring to. It has to be said that Simon le Bon isn’t a great live singer.

All the audience had a wrist band that lit up and changed colour with the music.  That did not look as good on TV as it did in the stadium, which is a shame, I thought that was very neat.

the bit where they were doing the oath gave a good view of the CRT services sign if you check it out on iPlayer.  A lot of attention to detail.