Commonwealth games opening ceremony

nicknorman

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Can't comment on the opening ceremony as I have not seen it. 

What was a surprise was the publication of a revised CRT organisation chart a day after a board meeting on 21/7/2022 that shows Adnan Saif, Director West Midlands, is no longer employed by CRT

Any idea what is behind it? I had cause to write to Adnan and his reply was entirely satisfactory.

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Any idea what is behind it? I had cause to write to Adnan and his reply was entirely satisfactory.

CRT have put four years effort into Coventry City of Culture and the Commonwealth Games. Coventry City of Culture was a damp squib as far as CRT is concerned and the games looks like it is going the same way.

Jon Horsfall is interim Director, West Midlands from 22/7/2022 with Matthew Symonds interim Head of Customer Service Support. 

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

There are personal reasons which I don't think should be shared on a public website.  My understanding was that his departure was only temporary.

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There are personal reasons which I don't think should be shared on a public website.  My understanding was that his departure was only temporary.

I trust you do not mean the concerns regarding alleged links to terrorist organisations - 

https://english.almayadeen.net/articles/analysis/is-al-qaeda-in-prime-position-for-the-birmingham-commonwealt

I looked at this four years ago and it appeared to have little substance. 

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Didn’t see what you are referring to. It has to be said that Simon le Bon isn’t a great live singer.

I'm not a fan of the Duran's but I did feel sorry for them, being allocated time to perform only two songs. That's not enough to build up a show.

As I understood the Commonwealth to be an organisation of presnt and former British colonies, I wondered what Namibia (which was a German colony) and Camerous (which was a French one) were doing there. 

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm not a fan of the Duran's but I did feel sorry for them, being allocated time to perform only two songs. That's not enough to build up a show.

As I understood the Commonwealth to be an organisation of presnt and former British colonies, I wondered what Namibia (which was a German colony) and Camerous (which was a French one) were doing there. 

I think that after WW1, Germany lost Namibia to S Africa which was British. Not sure about Cameroon, maybe they just wanted to join? As for Duran Duran, they should have brought out the Orgasmatron.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

I trust you do not mean the concerns regarding alleged links to terrorist organisations - 

https://english.almayadeen.net/articles/analysis/is-al-qaeda-in-prime-position-for-the-birmingham-commonwealt

No I don't.  Having spoken with Jon and Matthew very recently I am aware of the real reason which I will not be sharing as it is not my place to say.

1 hour ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

What an appallingly rabble-rousing piece of "journalism".  

We missed the beginning, when we switched on the Bull was getting the hump with the arguing people.  I thought it was great.  I liked the fact that the country name signs for the athletes parade were narrowboaty in style. 

13 hours ago, haggis said:

Ah, that explains it! To me with my poor knowledge of geography, I think of all of the BCN being Birmingham

Haggis

The oft quoted "more canals than Venice" does just refer to the 35 miles that are in the City of Birmingham and not the 100 miles of the BCN.

Of those 35 miles the split between what is part of the BCN and what is not is almost exactly half and half, and that is after counting the Birmingham & Fazeley toward Curdworth as part of the BCN (because it is). 

14 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The oft quoted "more canals than Venice" does just refer to the 35 miles that are in the City of Birmingham and not the 100 miles of the BCN.

Of those 35 miles the split between what is part of the BCN and what is not is almost exactly half and half, and that is after counting the Birmingham & Fazeley toward Curdworth as part of the BCN (because it is). 

I probably should know this but what defines a bit of canal as BCN

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

I probably should know this but what defines a bit of canal as BCN

Pre-nationalisation ownership, which is the basis of what gives all canals their names.

The BCN is those canals owned by what was once the Birmingham Canal Company, and then became the Birmingham and Birmingham & Fazeley Canal Company. I'm not actually sure whether the company referred to itself as the BCN or if that was just what it called the canals given it's own ridiculously cumbersome official name.

The non-BCN bits are:

Grand Union from Proof House Junction to Bridge 85 (between Acocks Green and Olton) 

Birmingham & Warwick Junction Canal throughout

Worcester & Birmingham from Worcester Bar to about the mid-point of Wast Hill Tunnel

Stratford from King's Norton Jn to a point about mid-way between bridges 6 and 7

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Chris John said:

As per usual forum members turn something to be celebrated and enjoyed into total negativity and absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the original post 🙄

The subject also having feck-all to do with canal boating! 

10 minutes ago, dave moore said:

On a lighter note, I’d like to point out that all of the hand painted country signs carried by the various teams were the work of fellow signwriter and boat decorator Meg Gregory, painted locally at her base near Wolverhampton. Many were in appropriate canal style. I hope she’s proud of her efforts….

She should be