Canal Drained

spoodge

Featured Posts

Hi

I've recently started to use the Huddersfield Broad Canal side for my morning run and am disturbed to see sections of the canal drained of water and fish in distress. On Tues the 13th the sections between locks 6 and 5 were empty, this morning the sections between locks 4 and 3 were empty, I missed my run yesterday but wouldn't be surprised if the stretch between 5 and 4 was drained.

I spoke to 2 local anglers and 2 waterways workers who were refilling the canal on Tuesday, all of them told me it was a group of Polish men netting the fish for the table. Are you aware of this happening? and what can be done about it.

I'm a big guy but have been warned of approaching them if i catch them at it, as they are aggressive and apparently carry knives. What can/is being done about this? It seems to be happening all over the country

Call the police.

Because clubs stock the canals the fish do not belong to the Poles. On the K&A there are signs which say,

IF YOU SEE SOMEONE TAKING FISH FROM THE WATER CALL THE POLICE AND REPORT THEFT IN PROGRESS

Nuff sed!

It's not so much the fish that concern me, as the water. Not all canal sections are stocked by fishing clubs, my home port is replete with carp the size of submarines, and it's only the residents who fish there. They must have decided that being hauled out of the canal on a regular basis is worth it for all the free food allowing them to grow to the size of small porpoises. (The fish, that is, not the residents).

What size of pounds are being drained? Are we talking actual sections, or are these just inter-lock pounds? The amount of water that's being sucked out of the system must be phenomenal. If it were summer (other than the last), it could halt navigation on the entire stretch.

If you spot this sort of thing, or any other signs of fish in distress, pollution etc, then call the

Environment Agency Emergency Hotline on 0800 80 70 60

I think you'll find in most cases that they'll act quicker than the police.

Janet

What size of pounds are being drained? Are we talking actual sections, or are these just inter-lock pounds? The amount of water that's being sucked out of the system must be phenomenal. If it were summer (other than the last), it could halt navigation on the entire stretch.
They seem to be going for the smaller pounds......I have pictures on my mobile phone I'll try to get them posted here later today.I wasn't sure if the police would do anything about this, I'll let them know what's going on. So far the pounds they are draining are close to a lane or road, obviously for transporting the cargo.
If you spot this sort of thing, or any other signs of fish in distress, pollution etc, then call the

Environment Agency Emergency Hotline on 0800 80 70 60

I think you'll find in most cases that they'll act quicker than the police.Janet

Thx for the number. I'm guessing I'd need pictures of them in the act for the police to do anything about it, anyone lend me a night vision camera ? :(

Hi

I've recently started to use the Huddersfield Broad Canal side for my morning run and am disturbed to see sections of the canal drained of water and fish in distress. On Tues the 13th the sections between locks 6 and 5 were empty, this morning the sections between locks 4 and 3 were empty, I missed my run yesterday but wouldn't be surprised if the stretch between 5 and 4 was drained.

I spoke to 2 local anglers and 2 waterways workers who were refilling the canal on Tuesday, all of them told me it was a group of Polish men netting the fish for the table. Are you aware of this happening? and what can be done about it.

I'm a big guy but have been warned of approaching them if i catch them at it, as they are aggressive and apparently carry knives. What can/is being done about this? It seems to be happening all over the country

The Hudds Broad was notorious for being drained by the kids but nothing these days would surprise me.

This is nothing new or unusual. Fish thefts have been happening and waters drained all over the country in the last year or two, mainly thanks to immigrants with different standards to our own! The EA are well aware of these activities.....the problem is doing something about it!! If anyone could catch them in the act and call first the EA and secondly the police it would be a start. I don't think posting prohibition notices in foreign languages or embarking on education campaigns will make a lot of difference!

Dick

:(

This is nothing new or unusual. Fish thefts have been happening and waters drained all over the country in the last year or two, mainly thanks to immigrants with different standards to our own! The EA are well aware of these activities.....the problem is doing something about it!! If anyone could catch them in the act and call first the EA and secondly the police it would be a start. I don't think posting prohibition notices in foreign languages or embarking on education campaigns will make a lot of difference!

Dick

I assure you it makes no differance, in reality the police and EA are not interested dispite what you may or may not have heard. It would however be totaly different if they were taking his lordships salmon or trout. But hey ho,we must be nice to these Eastern Europeans that are commiting this sort of crime are nothing more than pikie scum. Apoligies to the more liberal members out there but this sort of thing really gets my back up.

:(

I assure you it makes no differance, in reality the police and EA are not interested dispite what you may or may not have heard. It would however be totaly different if they were taking his lordships salmon or trout. But hey ho,we must be nice to these Eastern Europeans that are commiting this sort of crime are nothing more than pikie scum. Apoligies to the more liberal members out there but this sort of thing really gets my back up.

Shouldn't you be angry at the cap doffing authorities who are doing nothing to stop this activity, rather than the folk who, in their culture, find it perfectly normal to catch and eat coarse fish.

If there is no enforcement then there will always be people willing to commit the crime. If coarse fish tasted nice on our palates then I'm sure the East Europeans would be rubbing shoulders with Brits, fishing for food.

Is draining a canal a standard type of fishing technique?

It is now along with long lining,snaring,netting,spearing,shooting with bow and arrow and airgun, snagging with treble hooks,scooping , and last but not least suffocation (Bags of cement powder)

Shouldn't you be angry at the cap doffing authorities who are doing nothing to stop this activity, rather than the folk who, in their culture, find it perfectly normal to catch and eat coarse fish.

If there is no enforcement then there will always be people willing to commit the crime. If coarse fish tasted nice on our palates then I'm sure the East Europeans would be rubbing shoulders with Brits, fishing for food.

Surely the fact that these people are doing this at night, and armed with knives, suggests they KNOW it isn't the done thing? Or perhaps, in Eastern Europe, this is the way they normally get their fish and no one would raise an eyebrow. I suspect not though.

No and thats the whole point. The odd fish on rod and line is one thing but wholsale removal like this isn't on. I dislike those that do it and the authorities for letting it happen.

And if Brits liked the taste and it isn't enforced then Brit low-life would be doing it too.

Making generalised racist comments like "pikie scum" isn't helpful. The only reason the British poacher takes a chance with the lord of the manor's trout is becausethe British poacher likes the taste. And electro-fishing, netting and dynamiting is happening at a trout pool near you and by a Dingle, not a Pole.

I'm not defending the people that do this but if the police rounded a load up, prosecuted them and put them on a plane home, or in prison then there'd be a lot less of it happening.

Not all East European men are netting fish and not all East European women are begging or being kept as sex slaves, just the few you see and hear about.

It is now along with long lining,snaring,netting,spearing,shooting with bow and arrow and airgun, snagging with treble hooks,scooping , and last but not least suffocation (Bags of cement powder)

This has brought me back. We called it Snibbling though.

Where is that furball??? :(

And if Brits liked the taste and it isn't enforced then Brit low-life would be doing it too.

Making generalised racist comments like "pikie scum" isn't helpful. The only reason the British poacher takes a chance with the lord of the manor's trout is becausethe British poacher likes the taste. And electro-fishing, netting and dynamiting is happening at a trout pool near you and by a Dingle, not a Pole.

I'm not defending the people that do this but if the police rounded a load up, prosecuted them and put them on a plane home, or in prison then there'd be a lot less of it happening.

Not all East European men are netting fish and not all East European women are begging or being kept as sex slaves, just the few you see and hear about.

I dont think we're disagreeing here Carl, I dont give a shit what nationality they are, anyone doing this type of thing is bang out of order, and if the authorities are turning a blind eye to it then so are they !

I dont think we're disagreeing here Carl, I dont give a shit what nationality they are, anyone doing this type of thing is bang out of order, and if the authorities are turning a blind eye to it then so are they !

Hear hear.

I'm surprised the angling lobby hasn't had more effect. Landed gentry is one thing but there's a hell of a lot of voters who fish out there and they managed to get shooting licences for Cormorants didn't they (and I know what you're thinking Red, but it just won't happen).

As an aside. I've recently boated up my favourite waterway, as you all know. Not sure if you know it was kept empty by ....... yes EA because the sluices were right up.

A friend canood downstream, to end up in the mud. I'm told, it was only because the local fishermen threatened them (EA) with court action they dropped the sluices and filled the river.

It's not so much the fish that concern me, as the water. Not all canal sections are stocked by fishing clubs, my home port is replete with carp the size of submarines, and it's only the residents who fish there. They must have decided that being hauled out of the canal on a regular basis is worth it for all the free food allowing them to grow to the size of small porpoises. (The fish, that is, not the residents).

As the huddersfield canals are only 3 inches deep its not that much water we're talking about :( Notice Martin hasnt posted on this yet I'm sure he wud be interested in helping.

It's not so much the fish that concern me, as the water. Not all canal sections are stocked by fishing clubs, my home port is replete with carp the size of submarines, and it's only the residents who fish there. They must have decided that being hauled out of the canal on a regular basis is worth it for all the free food allowing them to grow to the size of small porpoises. (The fish, that is, not the residents).What size of pounds are being drained? Are we talking actual sections, or are these just inter-lock pounds? The amount of water that's being sucked out of the system must be phenomenal. If it were summer (other than the last), it could halt navigation on the entire stretch.
yes quite right sod the fish they only live in the water lets concern ourselves with more important thingsi know why dont we ge all the polls and get em out to polland

yes quite right sod the fish they only live in the water lets concern ourselves with more important thingsi know why dont we ge all the polls and get em out to polland

Polish immigrants eh.. I don't suppose any of you have any evidence or anything boring like that..

Never mind, who else could it be anyway and we all know that them north Europeans eat a lot of fish, let's organise a vigilante group, make sure you bring a couple of mooring ropes, I'll find a suitable tree.

Les it is generally endemic in our culture that we put fish back after we finish fishing. It is not so in Eastern European cultures. So there is a fairly obvious connection. EE national also catch and eat Swans and ducks there is news evidence to support this.

Edited by Maffi