Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I dont profess to be an expert in NB livery but it wouldnt be the first time an artist has amalgamated several images to form a single finished picture.

True. And I suspect that Crossley picture was painted long after the Jam Ole buildings were demolished.

The Buccaneer Post is of definite interest for 1939 as one view shows the Provan Gasworks and the Monkland Canal with Blackhill Locks and the disused boat lift. There are some useful images of the incline plane in the RCHS Collection.

The1910 Ordnance Survey of 1910, published 1912 may be of interest too-

Provan Gasworks.png

provan1912.png

And another industrial location this time from a published image in March 1914 which shows a naval gun being hauled by a locomotive alongside a canal.

Any ideas of the Canal ? And the location ?

137421.jpg

Yes, local knowledge helps

The Ordnance Factory connected with the Foleshill Light Railway which served a brickworks, a scrapyard and Courtaulds Ltd. The Peckett KITCHENER appears to be the locomotive in the image. Later the sidings were extended to join up with the Coventry Loop Line, which then provided the main rail access to the site.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Yes, local knowledge helps

The Ordnance Factory connected with the Foleshill Light Railway which served a brickworks, a scrapyard and Courtaulds Ltd. The Peckett KITCHENER appears to be the locomotive in the image. Later the sidings were extended to join up with the Coventry Loop Line, which then provided the main rail access to the site.

More information can be found here: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/coventryloopline.htm#foleshillrailway

The line closed in 1972 -I just remember it in use. 

The line went along the street at the end of Smith Street where the rails are still in position - or at least were the last time I looked:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/GHcYKjGcJ7EcVWVp7

• Greenie 1

On 03/07/2022 at 11:51, Heartland said:

Warrington Black Bear ?

Well closer. It is actually St Helens, looking at one of the Pilkingtons Glassworks and their railway. Pilkington can be seen on one of the wagons

So the canal would be the Sankey Canal and the canal that went past the various glassworks, ironworks etc, If recall, it was in the Pocket Nook area, but may be somebody could clarify.

I should have recognised that. I lived near At Helens for the first 8 years of my life.

I remember seeing the steam rise from "The Hotties" over a high brick wall topped with broken bottles.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph

To ask another "where I am" this may be easy, or may be not.

The image is of a narrow boat carrying pottery from Middleport to London. The questions of when, why and where might be appropriate!

333204c.jpg

There were two boats conveying the pottery. The slides are dated 2001

This is another view of the narrow boat, south of the image above

A different steerer it seems !

333202.jpg

Edited by Heartland

The building in the background in both images is in a regeneration area. The first with Sue Yates steering shows an area which has been subsequently transformed in 2003 when sadly canal heritage structures were destroyed. Laurence Hogg campaigned to save them, but failed, and sadly any chance of any application for a World Heritage site were dashed from that moment. To look at the structures in this specific part of what was then a town, it may have been hard to accept the canal transport history, but that history when all the adjacent sites were considered together a more sympathetic council to waterways heritage might have acted differently to preserve and improve them for the mutual benefit of the area. They did not. And so piecemeal development has continued, with much still to be done. 

Had the council acted on what Laurence and others had said, the City which is now the controlling authority may well, by now, have a show piece canal attraction. Now most boaters choose to speed past, which is probably a reason why no body has guessed this "where I am"

I attach another image this time of No 2, the other pottery boat, of 2001. It should be possible to identify where this place is !

333201.jpg

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

The building in the background in both images is in a regeneration area. The first with Sue Yates steering shows an area which has been subsequently transformed in 2003 when sadly canal heritage structures were destroyed. Laurence Hogg campaigned to save them, but failed, and sadly any chance of any application for a World Heritage site were dashed from that moment. To look at the structures in this specific part of what was then a town, it may have been hard to accept the canal transport history, but that history when all the adjacent sites were considered together a more sympathetic council to waterways heritage might have acted differently to preserve and improve them for the mutual benefit of the area. They did not. And so piecemeal development has continued, with much still to be done. 

Had the council acted on what Laurence and others had said, the City which is now the controlling authority may well, by now, have a show piece canal attraction. Now most boaters choose to speed past, which is probably a reason why no body has guessed this "where I am"

I attach another image this time of No 2, the other pottery boat, of 2001. It should be possible to identify where this place is !

333201.jpg

Looks like the Cape of Good Hope at Warwick to me -- or maybe definitely not, looking at some details...

Edited by IanD

Very good Goliath

IT IS WOLVERHAMPTON

The first picture with Sue Yates was passing John Hills ironfoundry and approaching the FMC Albion Wharf.  The bridge is Mill Street and the original BR multi storey car park is just visible. In rhe second image John Yates has just passed Wulfrana Wharf, Horseleyfields.

These images must show the changing face of waterways.

As Goliath started this thread are any more wanted ?

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

333201.jpg

Are you aware of any images that show the area before Hay Basin was filled in...?  I had a long talk with Henry Hollingshead one day and he was telling me about when the basin was there. 

4 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

second is Electrical Porcelain Works on the Trent and Mersey Canal, Stone, 1929

So that’s Lime Kiln lock we see in the bottom of the photo?

Even though you’ve said where it is, I can’t place the other picture. 
Unless that’s Stoke’s football ground 😂 by the gas works? 

Edited by Goliath