Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Our thoughts are with you both 

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

Go on then,..a tribute to a fine painter...

All the boats and buildings are still there..

and I'm pretty sure Magnetman has Never been there....

20240101_230703.jpg

Well, I know it well. Sileby Marina, my first introduction to you guys and the start of a great friendship 

• Happy 1

23 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

One to raise a glass for the start of a year especially if last wasn’t so great, where was I and what’s the link to New Year? Sensible answers only.

IMG_2024-01-01-082213.thumb.jpeg.1113c775aaed656e7aed01e6c1b49604.jpeg

Additional clues now that New Year’s Day is past us. The canal appears particularly weedy, I doubt many of us have boated here recently. I do know of some who have. Maybey I will post more clues tomorrow. 

Well that rules out the Caistor and Dingwall Canals

And well done to getting the Sowerby Bridge image, That was taken before the restoration to Tuel Lane Lock was completed.

• Greenie 1

On 01/01/2024 at 08:29, Stroudwater1 said:

One to raise a glass for the start of a year especially if last wasn’t so great, where was I and what’s the link to New Year? Sensible answers only.

Further information as another day is past. The bank or nearby apparently had an agricultural practice many years ago that is enjoying a resurgence these days. Im not aware of another canal bank that has such cultivation alongside. 
Further on is another nearby, a triad but only two are of mention here. 

Edited by Stroudwater1

Posted (edited)

Looks like examples of Typha latifolia by the bank

On another question where could these railway sidings be. They pass by a canal and this place is near a place which could be named after a monarchs motorcycle. The canal linked a town with many trades and the Severn. This part was originally made to barge width.

The date of this image is 1963

847414.jpg

Edited by Heartland

18 minutes ago, Heartland said:

On another question where could these railway sidings be. They pass by a canal and this place is near a place which could be named after a monarchs motorcycle. The canal linked a town with many trades and the Severn. This part was originally made to barge width.

847414.jpg

- and the fence is still the same today (- or was the last time I was along there)

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

847414.jpg

Sorry, dunno.

But that's a nice bit of pointwork.

Posted (edited)

May be Archie 57 will clarify the location or will Goliath get it?

Not sure but I did wonder if the wood sleepers came from the Beeston Creosote Works.

Edited by Heartland

This could be the Stroudwater with the Monarchs motorbike being Kings Stanley. 

However there I am stumped as I can’t think where sidings that side of the canal existed near to Kings Stanley So perhaps the monarch owns another motorbike elsewhere! 

28 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

This could be the Stroudwater with the Monarchs motorbike being Kings Stanley. 

However there I am stumped as I can’t think where sidings that side of the canal existed near to Kings Stanley So perhaps the monarch owns another motorbike elsewhere! 

King's Norton, on the Worcester and Birmingham, linking Birmingham with the River Severn, and originally intended to be a wide canal, but built with narrow locks.

And I guess these are the sidings.

Screenshot_20240103-094819_SamsungInternet.jpg.4c83131b39a7a20649c97e95019a067d.jpg

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 2

David Mack does it again

Yes it is Lifford Sidings, and former Midland Railway interchange wharf

The Norton as of Kings Norton was and is a brand of Motorcycle. Norton motor cycles were once made in Bracebridge Street in Birmingham and the canal was and is the Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

The late D J Norton took that picture. 

On 01/01/2024 at 08:29, Stroudwater1 said:

Oh dear, well best if I walk back around 60 yards to find this area. Hopefully someone will know where I am now. 

IMG_2024-01-04-120654.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Yes it was  Alfred Matty's Yard at Coseley

The George is seen on the bank

But, the basin had some interesting craft moored there and the crane states Matty

628774.jpg

And now another where was this Canal Shop ?

646992.jpg

Edited by Heartland

As I remember the estates department was in the same building maybe before it became the shop, I remember visiting there probably with my father for something  in the 60's or early 70's

Steven

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

Yes it was  Alfred Matty's Yard at Coseley

The George is seen on the bank

But, the basin had some interesting craft moored there and the crane states Matty

628774.jpg

And now another where was this Canal Shop ?

The George is one half of the Dudley Canal Trusts replica of the double ended Gorsty Hill Tunnel tug that was built for use on the tunnel trips, it wasn't successful so was converted to two separate boats I think by Dave Harris the other half being William, both still in current use.

Yes Goliath has the location of the Canal Shop and the road ended at Farmers Bridge, with the CRT offices as they now are on the other side

Interesting notes about GEORGE.